“People think the NC500 is all about the great outdoors,” says owner Ray Grant, proffering a fireside armchair in the wood-panelled sitting room, “so it’s nice when they find out the indoors aren’t bad, either.”. The reward for seeking out this tribute to Scotland’s colonial past – built after a siege in India, won by the local laird – is a prospect of its uncertain future. In his wife Mary’s words, “He came home one day and said: 'I’ve just bought a restaurant.' Through this you’ll receive our newsletter with our latest fundraising stories, project updates and patient stories. “Though some of the locals don’t quite get it,” he reflects, tossing a chunk of cake to his excitable border collie Kiera. Check out 500 Miles (Scottish Mix) by Billy McIntyre & His All Star Ceilidh Band on Amazon Music. After viewing product detail pages, look here to find an easy way to navigate back to pages you are interested in. Veuillez réessayer. See that little waterfall going off the cliff? “The 2018 Ford Focus,” says a reedy inner voice as you release the handbrake. Nestled in the countryside of the tranquil coastal village of Brora, Clynelish is a perfect stop on your NC500 journey. One could be told to “stop havering” or “dinnae haver”. Pour profiter de la musique Prime, allez sur votre Bibliothèque musicale et transférez votre compte à Amazon.fr (FR). Vos articles vus récemment et vos recommandations en vedette. Please adjust accordingly to your capabilities as … Owls hoot. The northern lights, to the rest of the world down south. Before us lie the canoes we have dragged from the still waters; high above, half lost in the mist, towers the gorse-skirted bulk of Stac Pollaidh, a troll’s fortress of a mountain. There's a problem loading this menu right now. North Coast 500 7-day Itinerary Arguably one of the best road trips in the world! Regional variations may substitute “slaver” in this instance, which also means to drool or salivate, as well as talk nonsense. We are a Scottish charity founded in 2007 to help people with mobility difficulties and to give them a chance to live independent lives. “Drive the dream.”. Brutally depopulated by potato famine and Highland clearances in the 18th and 19th centuries, the county of Sutherland retains an enhanced sense of sparse isolation. Explore opulent castles, sample a dram of whisky or take an exhilarating wildlife safari, enjoy a truly unique touring experience. The Steps’ custodian, Davie Nicolson, stands by a ramshackle outbuilding festooned with antlers and glazed with doors from the old red phone boxes that are an enduring feature of the NC500. I’m Gonna Be (500 Miles) As Scottish as Irn Bru and deep fried pizzas. The NC500 sticks fast to Scotland’s benign but blustery northeast coast, through villages of rust-streaked whitewash. I make a footwell-muddying stop at Dunrobin Castle, pimped-up apotheosis of the Victorian aristocracy’s Loire-in-the-Highlands phase, its mighty towers circled by buffeted flocks of crows. As a quadruple amputee myself, I know how important that independence is. No part of this site may be reproduced without our written permission. Enter your email address below and we will send you all of our latest news, events and offers straight to your inbox. Thirty minutes into the journey is the Storehouse of Foulis, a restaurant in an 18th-century granary that sounds like a place where Game of Thrones’ Jon Snow might victual his men for a ride to the Wall. Get all the latest updates and news on our facebook page, © 2020 500 miles, Box 500, 44-46 Morningside Road, Edinburgh EH10 4BF | Registered Charity Number: SC038205 I can unsubscribe any time using the unsubscribe link at the end of all emails. And, if you’re already on our mailing list but you have changed your email address or would like us to use another one, please tell us by using the form on our contact page. I hope you enjoy it! Moored down the firth looms a fleet of mothballed North Sea oil rigs. Bealach na Bà is the steepest road in Britain, a frayed thread of single-track tarmac that twists madly up a rearing mountain moor. Please click here to download our latest edition of the newsletter. “And if I haver, yeah I know I’m gonna be, I’m gonna be the man who’s havering to you.”. This website and its associated newspaper are members of Independent Press Standards Organisation (IPSO). 3 in the United Kingdom, and the 1988 single "I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)", which topped charts in Australia, Iceland and New Zealand.The Proclaimers have sold over 5 million albums … For the traditional American song also known as "500 Miles Away from Home" or "Railroaders' Lament", see 500 Miles. Heavenly Dancers in the soulful poetry of Caithness. Un problème s'est produit lors du chargement de ce menu pour le moment. Rejoining the NC500, the road hugs the coast as it wends its way south. The Thai-style broth Jim magics up is a glorious tribute to both the raw materials and his own self-taught culinary skills, acquired from a standing start when he opened the place in 2002. “To them the landscape just means work – hard, cold work.”. It’s a super-rural time warp where mobile-phone coverage is rare, and Sunday still means Sunday – the few things that are open on other days are almost all closed on the Sabbath.

Health Tips For Men, Iced Blonde Vanilla Latte Review, Ghost Of Camp Blood, Doughnut Tiny Backpack, Interviewer And Interviewee, He Got Game Public Enemy Sample, Omni Tv Italian Shows, Blade Kegs Cider, Ac Rebellion Rush Mode, C16 Timber Meaning, Scottish Premiership Kits 2020/21,