® © 2020. Being of Greek decent, it makes me really happy that they hired Greek actors. Greek actors Michael Antonakos and Melissanthi Mahut provide the voices and performance capture for Alexios and Kassandra, bringing the characters to life with unexpected nuance (as previously chronicled by some handsome, overworked soul). idk. Just personal preference though. In motion-capture sessions, did you ever find yourself needing to copy or imitate an expression, gesture, or nuance of your partner? The way he adjusts his tone can be inconsistant. Depends on the moment and the choices you make. So I toned his voice slightly darker and lower than Alexios, gave him no room for a smile unless it had a sense of tormenting behind it. They both look hot! Best Warzone loadout for Season 6. I realized how hard the job of a voice actor is, being in a room with no one else to act off of and relying completely on your own imagination to create the scene and setting that you are asked to bring truth to. Best Minecraft shaders for 1.16.3 Support RPS and get an ad-free site, extra articles, and free stuff. IN. New PC games 2020 I guess its personal preference, i found nothing wrong with Alexios's voice acting, i enjoyed his character. What were the intentions behind your performance? RPS: Michael, your portrayal of Alexios has received criticism for being one-note, or a typical macho game protagonist. When Mel was brought on, Ubisoft flew us both to Quebec City where we spent a week getting to know each other, and the game team. Michael: I had already started working on the game when Melissanthi joined, and we’d already recorded scenes with Alexios at this point. Assassin's Creed Odyssey cultists - all the Cult of Kosmos locations, Assassin's Creed Odyssey arena guide - how to become the champion, Assassin's Creed Odyssey map guide - how big is the map, legend icons, Assassin's Creed Valhalla Oxenefordscire Treasure Hoard location and rewards. I fell in love with Kass the moment she said: Maláka. Tbh this applies to everything in life lol. The female voice is very well done though. I am the annoying actor backstage with headphones on. In the motion capture studio we did our best to match each other’s performances, because they would use the same edits to cut the scenes together. I had never had any experience with mocap before this. Its okay to have a preference, its not okay to tell others it sucks and your is always better. But when you play it beside Mel’s more natural lighter sound, which allows for more ups and downs in range, it can seem more one level. Alexios and Kassandra have similar (but varying) physical scars as well. Overall though, it’s nice to have the choice to play as either! Alexios sounds almost too gruff and angry for me, it might get kind of grating after awhile. I'm glad this game is actually using Greek actors, and not just having the characters speak in British accents. Overall I thought Kassandra was better and her voice work had more subtlety, but I think personal preference can play a big part of whether or not you'll enjoy her. Men like us /u/david246msi we never get back the things we love. Frankly, the biggest issue I have is that the deepness of his voice sounds "inauthentic" at times, while Kassandra's voice sounds much more natural. RPS: Roughly what percentage of your in-game performances were motion-captured? It will be a long time, I think before I find someone that I enjoy working with as much as Michael. I'm gonna play Alexios anyways, though I'll probably do another playthrough where I'll play as Kassandra. I wonder if they also do the Greek voice acting. I think they both sound pretty good, but I'm leaning more towards Kassandra. Her slightly jaded, frustrated, world weary (but at heart good natured) delivery really worked for me and my favoured interpretation of the character. How do the protagonists remain distinct, internally cohesive, and roughly equivalent, across thousands of lines of the same script? For news, discussion and more about Ubisoft's Assassin's Creed franchise. Well I guess we know where Kassandra gets her good looks. So I learned the absolute beauty that is mocap acting. However, I can understand that that may appeal to those who want a boisterous and cocky Alexios. Kassandra's just seems more realistic to me, but could have been better of course. For film and mocap it’s slightly different. RPS: Whichever character the player doesn’t choose after the prologue becomes Deimos, an agent of the Cult of Kosmos. How did you adjust your character to become this dark reflection, and why? I've noticed during my playthrough with him that his major voice issues occur mostly during the random "dailies", which seem(s?) Greek actors Michael Antonakos and Melissanthi Mahut provide the voices and performance capture for Alexios and Kassandra, bringing the characters to life with unexpected nuance (as previously chronicled by some handsome, overworked soul). Script aside, did you invent a personal background for your character that explains their differing reactions and appearance? RPS: How does it feel reading criticisms of your character performances? For Deimos I did some breath work and it got me into a lower body and vocal placement, very grounded and heavy. We need a boi like Elias - he already did the trailer, New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast, More posts from the assassinscreed community. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast, More posts from the assassinscreed community. By constantly sounding gruff and boisterous, he comes across as a bit one-dimensional; I think he delivered some of the intense and emotional moments quite well, but in other situations it's just excessive. Agreed. Michael Antonakos is the voice of Alexios in Assassin's Creed Odyssey. I just imagined making a character who grew up in Sparta, one of the toughest environments in the world for a child, then he gets forcibly thrown of a cliff and left for dead at six years old, has no more formal education, has to survive by becoming a headhunter for hire as a young man and has little trust for anyone… and he’s an animated video game character. I am seeing whose points were valid and whose were just opinion, I’ve learnt a lot, and I’m improving it. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. I always pick guys but here I can't wait to play as Kass. When we did the motion capture elements of the game, we did everything together. He doesn't need to do that at all because otherwise he's great. For me, in that moment, Deimos is trying to control the unexpected feelings that are coming up for him, and he doesn’t know how. Adds another layer of authenticity. Franchise: Assassin's Creed. The hard part was working out of different studios for the VO elements of the game, which is the majority. No one said anything to me about adjusting, so I just kept doing it. They are after all brother and sister and therefore of the same ilk. Yup. He does make a mean misthios and easily paints Alexios as a tough, agitated, and sometimes more arrogant character not just in speech but also in the facade. I’m female but I’ll be playing as Alexios. The other scene I enjoyed was between our father (Elias Toufexis) on the mountaintop, those moments were some of my favourites, the choice options were so elevated. He got his need for love met, by making himself feel more powerful than others. Sometimes he acts big and tough, and sometimes he’s softer and kind. I would listen to it while walking around, getting into his body, his physicality, his walk. She seems awesome. The accent was just too perfect to be fake. Rock Paper Shotgun and RPS are registered trade marks of ReedPop Limited. She plays like the perfect older sibling and her tone suits the narrative - of a once privileged kid, weathered by personal tragedy and adopted by a dodgy chancer on a shithole little island - setting off at last to finally find some answers and understand WTF happened to her family. He’s kinda like a Greek super hero or even better, a Greek Conan the Barbarian. It seemed almost caricature-like. Biggest problem I have with this whole debacle is people saying he is a copout and should have never existed. 153 votes, 60 comments. Especially at first. I simply thought Alexios' tone at times isn't consistent with the situation. Michael: I did create my own backstory, and then the writer’s filled us in on the backstory they had created. What were some intentional choices you made to give the characters distinct personalities despite sharing the same script? Kassandra's voice had more subtlety from my observation. Michael (continued): The voice was a decision; I didn’t really even know what Alexios looked like when I started building him. At the same time, we really haven't seen much gameplay with him and some of the segments I've seen him in were quite well done, just less dramatic I guess. Maybe I should look into that. Best free PC games On the mocap floor we constantly gave each other notes as to how we would like to approach certain scenes. RPS: Melissanthi, after your first video game role of this scale, what did you learn that you plan to take into your next major role (whatever that might be)? Yeah, "caricature" is definitely the vibe that I got from Alexios in terms of voice work, though I only got to the Pythia in his playthrough, which is still fairly early in the game. And, I think she did the motion capture too! From what I've seen so far I like her VA much more than Michael. Were these decisions made together, or individually? Michael: Well, at first it was tough for me. As a Greek, I instantly knew that the actors were Greek too. You would be correct. Black Friday What's interesting is that even though their lines are almost identical, the differences in voice work give Alexios and Kassandra distinct personalities. I felt like he had to be different, and sound different. The sheer volume of articles written about the game and the expectations that were building up even before its release were epic. The actors' names just screams Greece. Oh man… that is pretty funny. to craft dialogues sequences from a pool of pre-recorded voices. It was even more so after the release.. criticism is very much wanted, useful, often constructive and then sometimes it can be just plain blunt and one-sided, but what can you do. Alexios: Michael Antonakos a Greek actor, has had the honor to add his voice behind the fearsome character of Alexios. Slow and brooding, making others unnerved and uncomfortable, ruling through fear and intimidation. Are there any particular rituals you have, or details about your character’s past that you call to mind before a scene? The actor is just artificially deepening his voice, and it doesn't work. Press J to jump to the feed. I mean if it is stage, film or, now, mocap. I will wait for the German voice actors. RPS: What is your favorite in-game conversation in terms of the vocal performance you were able to deliver, or the physical actions you took? Above the world and everyone in it, and they want to keep it that way. We worked on scenes before we even went into rehearsals, and we made all our decisions as a team. If Mel did something spontaneous or funny in a scene and I was up after her, I would take it and use it, and vice-versa. RPS: What do you do to get into your character, particularly when they have to fit so many player-defined avenues, as well as the dual role of Deimos? Tagged with feature, interview, Ubisoft, Assassin's Creed Odyssey. I’ve played as both but preferred Kassandra as the misthios. You have to understand why someone makes their decisions and empathize with them even if these decisions are considered cruel or inhuman. Melissanthi: I loved anything that had to do with unleashing anger and sarcasm. Kassandra voiced by Melissanthi Mahut Alexios Voiced by Michael Antonakos Edit: Both are Greek natives! I wish he didn't artificially deepen his voice. Youre so right! Better immersion (I know ancient Greek is different than modern one but I assume there are similarities and frankly, I won't be able to tell), also I kind of have difficulty with their English accents (probably just need to get used to it).

Losing Attraction Long Distance, Relationship Between Church And State In Medieval Europe, Ming/tsai Poached Chicken, Types Of Flow Meter And Working Principle, Richard Yniguez Net Worth, Bunk Bed With Stairs, How To Request Invoice From Supplier, Whole Hog Basting Sauce Recipe, Concept Psychology Definition, We Didn't Start The Fire Lyrics Meaning, Emma Nancy Cline,