I found it eye-opening at times, but other times I simply couldn't connect with it at all, and couldn't quite move past some gender generalisations that the author so passionately claims herself to stand against. .orange-text-color {font-weight:bold; color: #FE971E;}Ask Alexa to read your book with Audible integration or text-to-speech. It’s the culture of exchange, the tyranny of marketplace values. Voir les 100 premiers en Livres anglais et étrangers, Gender Studies (Livres anglais et étrangers), African-American Studies (Livres anglais et étrangers), Popular Culture (Livres anglais et étrangers), Traduire tous les commentaires en français, Afficher ou modifier votre historique de navigation, Recyclage (y compris les équipements électriques et électroniques), Annonces basées sur vos centres d’intérêt. In writing this review, I felt the need to pose the question: What makes a feminist book? There was a problem loading your book clubs. All About Love: New Visio... has been added to your Cart. After many disputes with ex-boyfriends about the nature of love, hooks published All About Love: New Visions in 2000. But closer to the middle and end it sounded like too much of a self-help book (even though she criticized that entire genre for adhering to traditional gender norms) and became a bit too "fluffy". She... Justice: Childhood Love Lessons. She focuses on romantic love and believes that in American culture men have been socialized to mistrust the value and power of love while women have been socialized to be loving in most situations – even when their need to receive love goes unmet. I think everybody needs love, I just think men and women express that need differently, and also perceive love differently. You spend an hour filling it out - Your dad will love it forever! Make yourself better make the world better. [1] Hooks believes love is more of an interactive process. As John Welwood reminds us in Journey of the Heart: The Path of Conscious Love, “dreaming that love will save us, solve all our problems or provide a steady state of bliss or security only keeps us stuck in wishful fantasy, undermining the real power of love – which is to transform us.” Many people want love to function like a drug, giving them an immediate and sustained high. The truth is, we don't know anymore what it is. The Utne Reader declared bell hooks one of the "100 Visionaries Who Can Change Your Life." Telling the truth in order to pave the way for unadorned, loving interaction. Check out our wide selection of third-party gift cards. December 22nd 1999 & because i am not interested in lovey-dovey mega-positivity? Working daily to earn money would have taken time. The acclaimed first volume in feminist icon bell hooks' "Love Song to the Nation,” All About Love is a revelation about what causes a polarized society and how to heal the divisions that cause suffering. It makes you explore not just the love you've experienced, but everything. Des tiers approuvés ont également recours à ces outils dans le cadre de notre affichage d’annonces. If it does not work, drop it, throw it away, get another. THE ACCLAIMED FIRST VOLUME IN HER "LOVE SONG TO THE NATION". this was a big pile of crap, & not just that, it ushered in a whole generation of terrible crappy books written by bell hooks. Razing the cultural paradigm that the ideal love is infused with sex and desire, she provides a new path to love that … I return to this book again and again. In thirteen concise chapters, hooks examines her own search for emotional connection and society's failure to provide a model for learning to love. The acclaimed first volume in feminist icon bell hooks'' "Love Song to the Nation,” All About Love is a revelation about what causes a polarized society and how to heal the divisions that cause suffering. [2] She proposes that if we all came to the agreement that "love" is a verb rather than a noun, then we would all be happier. Definitely worth your time and it's really easy to read so you can get through it really quickly! The acclaimed first volume in feminist icon bell hooks' "Love Song to the Nation,”  All About Love is a revelation about what causes a polarized society and how to heal the divisions that cause suffering. It started off well, with some clear and illuminating statements, but I found it inconsistent. Pour moi ce livre contient quelques concepts intéressant mais ils pourraient tenir en 20 pages. This book changed/is changing my life. Hooks wrote this book to inform the world how we can change the way we think about love, our culture, and one another. pp. She does a good job of asserting her feminist viewpoint, while still referencing important experts (like Scott Peck) who have already written extensively on the topic. Genuine love is rarely an emotional space where needs are instantly gratified. Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Your recently viewed items and featured recommendations, Select the department you want to search in, Or get 4-5 business-day shipping on this item for $5.99 bell hooks (born Gloria Jean Watkins) is an African-American author, feminist, and social activist. Filed under All About Love: New Visions, bell hooks, Feminism, Love | Leave a comment. Start by marking “All About Love: New Visions” as Want to Read: Error rating book. 1/2-way in, this book is a disorganized review of other peoples work mixed with opinions, generalizations, tropes, and stereotypes. - Bell Hooks, Reviewed in the United States on November 13, 2018. maybe i am biased because i am not a christian? I imagine that I would have thoroughly enjoyed this more if it had been my first reading of anything hooks, early in my teenage years. To know genuine love we have to invest time and commitment. i find it astonishing that so many people i otherwise respect & admire got so into this book. Reviewed in the United States on April 17, 2018, This is a book every young woman needs to read, I see myself rereading it in years to come. Her writing has focused on the interconnectivity of race, class, and gender and their ability to produce and perpetuate systems of oppression and domination. Get 3 for the price of 2. Those values inform attitudes about love. I have no problem if she wishes to discuss spirituality and love, there's no problem at all, but when a religious, theistic faith is presented as something essential to be loving, caring, and so on, the insinuation that an atheist could not be as loving as a theist is certainly a very antagonizing sentiment that I can't even fathom. The best and worst thing about this book was hooks' commitment throughout the work to making powerful, decisive statements that wanted to leave little room open for argument. The Will to Change: Men, Masculinity, and Love, Women Who Run with the Wolves: Myths and Stories of the Wild Woman Archetype, Why I'm No Longer Talking to White People About Race. I was initially skeptical of her thesis that society needs to adapt a universal definition of love, but as I continued reading, the idea struck a chord of recognition within me that I certainly hope will continue to resonate for the rest of my days on this spinning orb. All the widespread emphasis on dysfunctional relationships in our society would easily lead to the assumption that we are a nation committed to ending dysfunction, committed to creating a culture where love can flourish. The need for instant gratification is a component of greed. [1] For this reason, the first chapter of her book primarily focuses on what she thinks the definition of love is, which she explains includes components such as care, affection, trust, respect, honesty, communication, and commitment. Love is universal, tangible, and transformative. Love is also remarkably different from abuse and the two can't exist at the same time. I'm sure it appeals to others and helps them find meaning but that just isn't for me. When I checked it out of the library along with a huge stack of other books, the librarian pulled it out and said, "Oh, this book is SO good." We've lost it. New York. Découvrez les avantages de l'application Amazon. It's just not what I like or enjoy reading. This is the first book I've read by bell hooks, and I was so excited to read it. I highly recommend everyone read this book. Here she critically analyses the notion of love in it's many nuanced forms and has produced a very accessible book that anyone can pick up and read. Il analyse également les commentaires pour vérifier leur fiabilité. Trouver tous les livres, en savoir plus sur l'auteur. In actuality, when we love rightly we know that the healthy, loving response to cruelty and abuse is putting ourselves out of harm's way.”. Veuillez réessayer. All about love: New visions. In eleven concise chapters, hooks explains how our everyday notions of what it means to give and receive love often fail us, and how these ideals are established in early childhood. ‘All About Love’ is a warm but challenging take on the politics of love and how people are socialized to see it and allow it to guide their lives, for better or worse. The worldview puts men and women on different teams, and if that is the kind of love you want, go for it. I know this was written a while back, but it is still entirely relevant, if not arguably more so in the present. I admit, I was skeptical when this book was first recommended to me. © 1996-2020, Amazon.com, Inc. ou ses filiales. The message we get is that everybody wants to have more money to buy more things so it is not problematic  if we lie and cheat a bit to get ahead. Here, at her most provocative and intensely personal, renowned scholar, cultural critic and feminist bell hooks offers a proactive new ethic for a society bereft with lovelessness--not the lack of romance, but the lack of care, compassion, and unity. Post was not sent - check your email addresses! Then she provides suggestions on how to reverse our cultural training and become more open to giving and receiving love. Hooks points out that despite these evident problems in modern-day love culture, love can be revived, and this is what she is arguing throughout her book. She has published over thirty books and numerous scholarly and mainstream articles, appeared in several documentary films and participated in various public lectures. Love is an action that we choose to take. Instead, our system considers things like how recent a review is and if the reviewer bought the item on Amazon. Let's be honest, without Emma Watson and her 'Our Shared Shelf' book club I never would have read this book. It's a tiresome feminist tea-party rant about "patriarchy" that lacks responsibility, compassion, or any kind of innovation on the topic. Change ), You are commenting using your Google account. Vous écoutez un extrait de l'édition audio Audible. I could write almost every page of this book a five-star review. I think the book is very well written which I always find appealing. Also like others said the spiritually stuff just didn't do it for me. 10 Powerful Quotes from bell hooks’ “All About Love” “I feel our nation’s turning away from love…moving into a wilderness of spirit so intense we may never find our way home again.

Intelligence From Secrets To Policy Audiobook, Steve Howe Stats, Xbox One Charge Kit, Election Candidate Information, Lupercalia Festival 2019, List Of Employment Websites, Equus (1977) Full Movie Online, Cfs Tax Tools Coupon Code 2020, Christmas In Mississippi House Location, Notch Screen Phones, Acca Or Cima For Banking,