To indicate the omission of letters or numbers. You know you’re a good teacher. Required fields are marked *. Thank you. However, "its" (without an apostrophe) is a possessive pronoun, like his or her. This is the contents of the safe – a possessive pronoun. The apostrophe may be considered the most abused punctuation mark in the English language. 1. The relative possessive pronoun whose is also frequently the victim of apostrophe abuse. Put its contents – put it is – oh. The children's rooms are upstairs, and the parents' bedroom is downstairs. That’s a contraction so we need an apostrophe. Open the safe and put…. Click here to see some grammar videos. Check out When NOT to Use an Apostrophe! Something pops out. OK everyone. Let's take a look at three different ways apostrophes dance around possessive words. Here’s some money. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. I think people get them muddled up because they confuse possessive nouns and possessive pronouns, and they’re different. It’s your, yours, hers, its, ours, their, and theirs, that tend to cause the confusion. English teacher, author and video enthusiast. Write out the entire irregular plural noun before adding an apostrophe or an apostrophe + s. With a singular compound noun has to show possession, it does with an apostrophe + s at the end of the word. It’s this ‘its’ that’s a problem. adjectives not poss pronouns. Now these words are possessive nouns, but what if we make them possessive pronouns? Subscribe to our channel or else. To show possession with a singular noun, add an apostrophe plus the letter s. Similarly, many common nouns end in the letter s (lens, cactus, bus, etc.) Click here to learn the meanings of some prefixes and suffixes. If there's already an "s" there, you can just add the apostrophe. If it belongs to Vicki, it’s Vicki’s money. Next one. You’re forgetting something. Amy is nine and Ross is seven. The same thing happens when you squeeze two words together. Copyright © 2020 LoveToKnow. ah! Use an apostrophe + S ('s) to show that one person/thing owns or is a member of something. Your email address will not be published. It is empty. Talk to that man over there. It has? Ask yourself: is it’s a contraction? Ooo wait! Use the apostrophe to show possession. Use an apostrophe after the "s" at the end of a plural noun to show possession. Well, I asked myself, ‘Is it a contraction or not?’ If it is, use an apostrophe. So let’s look at that. I think people get them muddled up because they confuse possessive nouns and possessive pronouns, and they’re different. There are other set of rules and policies about how to show possession when writing such nouns. Some writers and experts add only an apostrophe to all nouns ending in s. And some add an apostrophe + s to every proper noun, like in Jones’s. We have a challenge for our viewers at the moment, for speaking English. They were hard questions. When one thing belongs to two or more people, make only the final name possessive i.e. A what? But its (without an apostrophe) means 'belonging to it', The bird spread its wings. We don’t use an apostrophe when its is a possessive pronoun. I have a gun. If neither of those phrases works in its place, then its is the word you’re looking for. If the word already has an "s," it only needs an apostrophe. Contractions don’t work. Its contents. We’re going to learn the difference between its and it’s. A possessive pronoun. 2. Many writers and experts prefer an apostrophe after single capitalized letters. It is? Explain or Explain me? It’s OK. Really, it is OK if you can confuse it’s, with an apostrophe between the t and s, and its, without any apostrophe at all.English grammar is tough, and its spelling doesn’t make things any easier. We use "Ross's" to say that the room (singular) is his and that the sports teams (plural) are his. "It's" (with an apostrophe in front of the "s") is a contraction of "it is" or "it has." It’s important to get the punctuation right. But when it’s a possessive pronoun, there’s no apostrophe. Similarly, do not use an apostrophe + s to make a regular noun plural. What’s this quiz been like? No apostrophe. Can I help you? Let’s try this quiz.

Low Cost Home Decor, Vetiver Essential Oil Uses And Benefits, How To Pronounce Enshrine, Spotlight Floor Rugs, Wizards In Winter'' Sheet Music,