Brian Jacob Smith (born October 12, 1981) is an American actor, known for his role as Will Gorski in the Netflix-produced series Sense8, Lieutenant Matthew Scott in the military science fiction television series Stargate Universe, and his Tony Award-nominated role as Jim O'Connor (The Gentleman Caller) in the 2013 revival of The Glass Menagerie. International distribution will be handled by ITV Studios Global Entertainment, so stay tuned for broadcast details outside the United Kingdom. Telegram. Viber. They love him but they don't understand him, and he's found that Paris is the place where he is his absolute best self. "I grew up in the suburbs in Texas during the Ronald Reagan era so, in a weird way, I understand what it's like to grow up and be different, to not fit into a culture," he told the site. As it turned out, Brian’s family were more accepting than he expected when he revealed his sexuality to them, aged 30. ReddIt. On TV. As with most queer kids growing up in small towns, he harboured a keen awareness of his difference. So was his World on Fire character. World on Fire, an adrenalized, emotionally gripping and resonant World War II drama, follows the intertwining fates of ordinary people in five countries as they grapple with the effects of the war on their everyday lives. “I just would hug him and say ‘It’s OK’,” Brian says in reflective mood. Dozens of your favorite THIRTEEN and PBS programs are available to watch on-demand on many popular platforms. The Stargate Universe co-star will appear in the drama alongside Oscar winner Helen Hunt, according to The Hollywood Reporter. Cast and Characters. World on Fire. World on Fire is described as “an adrenalized, emotionally gripping drama following the first year of World War II told through the intertwining fates of ordinary people drawn from Britain, Poland, France, Germany and the United States as they grapple with the effect of the war on their everyday lives.”. Brian J. Smith, shot by Harol Baez exclusively for Attitude's December issue, “On stage, they paid attention to me, and they saw that I had something. “I think that’s when I became OK with it, too. As he poses for an exclusive shoot for the cover of Attitude's December issue - available to download and to order globally now - 38-year-old Brian recalls how, long before he was welcomed into the entertainment industry's elite, he found freedom from the oppressive and alien environment of his hometown through acting. Deciding it was a sign to enlist, he showed up at the recruitment office and was preparing to arrive the next morning for a physical exam. Digg. VK. ", In the interview, Smith went on to say that he was "fascinated with someone who finds the dream and then the dream starts to collapse and fray" and believes the series' human-focused storylines are "relevant to what's happening in the world right now.". Print. Tumblr. (That earned Smith a Tony Award nomination.). Print. Email. Brian J. Smith appears on the cover of Attitude's December issue, out now, “Forget about any LGBTQ union or groups. I heard all the names: pussy, faggot.”. what it's like to grow up and be different. On TV. Buy now and take advantage of our best-ever subscription offers: 3 issues for £3 in print, 13 issues for £19.99 to download to any device. Pinterest. That's not their only connection. World on Fire | Clip | Brian J. Smith on Webster O'Connor. Brian J. Smith has booked his next role, appearing in the World War II period drama World on Fire for the BBC. With Sense8, Brian thought he’d reached new heights in his career. Il a ensuite déménagé à New York pour entrer à la Juilliard School pour y suivre un programme en quatre ans en Arts Dramatiques (Promotion 2003–2007) [2], où … Really proud…” World on Fire (TV Series 2019– ) Brian J. Smith as Webster O'Connor Dean Devlin Reveals Original Stargate Trilogy Plans, Stargate Roleplaying Party: Watch These Six Actors Play The RPG Live Online, Mayan Stargate? The Stargate Universe co-star will appear in the drama alongside Oscar winner Helen Hunt, according to The Hollywood Reporter.The project begins shooting in Prague this week. After leaving his hometown and graduating from New York's Juilliard School, he told the newspaper he "was two months behind in the rent, I didn’t have insurance, and I’d just auditioned for [a role] and was told they went with somebody else.". When I came out to my parents they were wonderful. The project begins shooting in Prague this week. Before then, Smith had played a gay man forced to deal with the son of a fundamentalist preacher in Hate Crime. So was his World on Fire character. Linkedin. Smith almost joined the army, per the New York Post. The things that move me as an actor are those echoes that come up.”. Starring Helen Hunt, Sean Bean, Jonah Hauer-King and more, the series premieres on Sunday, April 5, 2020 at 9/8c. He's escaped from a pretty oppressive intolerant military family upbringing. Smith played Lt. Matthew Scott for two seasons on SGU. All rights reserved |. Mix. But growing up in rural Texas in the shadow of rising 1980s US conservatism, the Tony-nominated star was left feeling isolated by his burgeoning sexuality. It ended up being for the 2009 indie drama, The War Boys. He lives in the Seattle area with his wife and three future Stargate fans. A lot of my work is about that. Telegram. What was it about the character of Webster that attracted you to the part? Finally, Smith admitted to relating to Webster. Cast as a Chicago-based police officer who forms a psychic connection with a group of seven strangers, the show was cancelled after just two seasons, reports Screen Rant. “I could never be who I was. VK. Facebook. Read their profiles; On iPlayer. Facebook. Twitter. I was completely alone. American star Brian J. Smith plays Webster O'Connor: an American doctor who falls in love with a musician in Paris. His World on Fire character moved him, the actor told Bradford Zone: "He's someone who has found himself in Paris. Brian J. Smith has booked his next role, appearing in the World War II period drama World on Fire for the BBC.. Also starring are Lesley Manville (Phantom Thread), Jonah Hauer-King (Little Women), and Julia Brown (The Last Kingdom), along with Zofia Wichłacz (Warsaw 44), Parker Sawyers (Southside With You), Tomasz Kot (Gods), Bruno Alexander (Eden), Johannes Zeiler (Faust), and Eugenie Derouand (Genius). World On Fire airs on @masterpiecepbs in the US, starting Sunday night. Read their profiles; On iPlayer. The ordinary people whose lives are embroiled in the global conflict of World War Two. Peter Bowker (The A Word) is writing the television series, with Bowker, Damien Timmer, and Helen Ziegler for Mammoth Screen and Lucy Richer executive producing for the BBC. And that’s when I didn’t feel alone.”. Brian J. Smith breaks down why he felt so connected to his character, Webster O'Connor, and why Webster's story was so important to tell. Linkedin. One particularly dashing actor is causing a stir. At school I really couldn’t fit in anywhere. So, what would he tell that 10-year-old kid in Texas who once felt lost and isolated? Robert C. Cooper Talks About The Ancients, Ascension, and Religion In Stargate. Smith was born and bred in Texas. Starring alongside Jeremy Irvine in Treadstone, Smith plays an all-American oil rig worker who becomes embroiled in a CIA behaviour modification programme. He has recently appeared in the Netflix series Sense8 and had a part in the CBS pilot L.A. Brian J. Smith breaks down why he felt so connected to his character, Webster O'Connor, and why Webster's story was so important to tell. “There weren’t enough people there to say to me: ‘You don’t need to be someone different, you don’t need to change who you are’.”, “What that kid needed was somebody to pick him up and say, ‘You’re perfect as you are, it’s OK’.”. He's living in a dream world. Become a member of THIRTEEN ($5 monthly or $60 annually) and get access to THIRTEEN Passport as our thanks for your support. It still reverberates. “I look at the roles I’ve played — heroic, very masculine American guys — and it’s me playing out a fantasy,” he told the New York Post. WhatsApp. In 2008, he took to the stage, appearing in Broadway play Come Back, Little Sheba. World on Fire. Now, Smith is preparing to show his latest work to the world. Members get extended access to PBS video on demand and more. Viber. Webster grew up in a military family. WNET is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. Dean Devlin Reveals Original Stargate…, '5 Chevrons Locked': Mallozzi Hints At New…, Teryl Rothery Leads This Weekend's 'Dial the…. Another fantastical role is in the pipeline for the now 37-year-old Smith. “I remember being so relaxed,” Brian says, reflecting on filming with the cast. Il fait ses études au Collin County Community College à Plano. With his action-heavy roles in Sense8, Jason Bourne spin-off series Treadstone and BBC One's current WWII drama World On Fire, Brian J. Smith is the picture of confidence on screen. "You love your home in a way that it's hard to describe, but I always did feel that need to get away and to travel and here I am — working in Prague and Manchester, living in Europe, and escaping an America that's starting to feel less and less like any America I've known for the past 10 years.". WhatsApp. I had 600 students at school, all of whom probably thought I was an absolute idiot, a nerd. “I try to be that boy I idolised in high school.”. His big break came with Sense8, one of Netflix’s most ambitious – and expensive – shows, that revolved around eight strangers who suddenly find themselves mentally and emotionally linked. With his action-heavy roles in Sense8, Jason Bourne spin-off series Treadstone and BBC One's current WWII drama World On Fire, Brian J. Smith is the picture of confidence on screen.. “I was surprised. LINE. Brian J. Smith as police officer Will Gorski in Netflix's 'Sense8'. I was constantly having to check myself and make sure I wasn’t looking at someone too long or making someone feel uncomfortable. Darren created GateWorld in 1999 and is the site’s managing editor. Share. All rights reserved. So, naturally, people are thirsty for background knowledge on the cast. 2020 Bustle Digital Group. "I was terrified. Confidential, which did not go to series. They said they were just waiting for me to say something. Tumblr. But growing up in rural Texas in the shadow of rising 1980s US conservatism, the Tony-nominated star was left feeling isolated by his burgeoning sexuality. Thankfully, Smith's agent intervened, telling him: "The other guy passed and the role is yours!" The series was cancelled after just two seasons, although the outcry from fans persuaded the production giant to commission a follow-up special. Cast and Characters. Smith was born and bred in Texas. Twitter. BBC One's much-anticipated World War Two drama, World on Fire, is ready to hit TV screens across the nation. Mix. Not available. “In front of an audience, I disappeared and became someone else. American star Brian J. Smith plays Webster O'Connor: an American doctor who falls in love with a musician in Paris. Tax ID: 26-2810489. They were a lot more advanced than I gave them credit for. Digg. The Circle star Paddy Smyth fronts new Kiehl's skincare campaign - WATCH, Ryan Murphy says parents took him to psychiatrist to try to 'cure' his gayness after his prom, Tom Allen on embracing his eccentricity and sexuality: 'Being funny was a way of making the world OK', Copyright ©2020 Stream Publishing.

Market Research Examples, Slap Kings Apk, The End Fortnite Music Piano, Frontier Co Op Salaries, Neil Gallagher Abbvie, Regina Police Accident Report, Dictionary Maker Online, Priest In Arabic, Soma Clinic Singapore, Haagen-dazs Vanilla Bean Ice Cream Ingredients, Chewy Baked Granola Bars,