Of these people, 15% show muscle atrophy (shrinkage) and 10% have elevated blood levels of creatine kinase (CK), a biomarker of myopathy, or muscle disease. Scleroderma is autoimmune disease in which your own immune system targets the connective tissues of the body. 1. She sells her art on Etsy.com to pay for experimental medicines. Over the past year, Scleroderma News has brought you news on scleroderma therapeutic developments, clinical trials, research, and events. Williams and other celebrities have raised vast sums for further research into scleroderma through comedy nights, which have also raised the profile of the disease. I was diagnosed with raynauds in 06, then scleroderma in 06 in which it gave me pulmonary hypertension in 08. The La Crescenta mother has scleroderma, an autoimmune disease that hardens and tightens the skin and connective tissues. To read Kristine’s blog about living with scleroderma, click here. When she isn’t working or receiving chemotherapy treatments, Kristine spends as much time as she can sharing her love of art with her children. It also features the stories of some well-known celebrities, including football icon Barry Sanders, TV stars Jason Alexander and Mark Teich, and author Mitch Albom. This film was based on the true story of Gay, the sister of the actor/comedian Bob Saget's who died of the disease. It was only later that his sister was diagnosed with the autoimmune disease. Queen Latifah, born Dana Owens, is famous for being a rapper, singer, actress, producer and entertainment mogul and has been supportive of further research into the disease of scleroderma, having experienced being a carer for her mother when scleroderma caused scar tissue to accumulate in her lungs, requiring oxygen treatment. To make a donation, get involved or learn more about scleroderma, visit the website for the Scleroderma Foundation’s SoCal chapter. While we look forward to bringing you more news in 2018, we would like to sum up 2017 by bringing you the Top 10 most-read scleroderma stories, reminding you, our readers, of what mattered most in the past year. Here are some of the celebrities who support continued research into scleroderma. A heartthrob to many, Stamos has supported the campaign for further research into scleroderma, drawing in members of the public who might not have otherwise been made aware of the disease. Has anyone gone on a every other day regiment of omeprazole? But in some other cases, scleroderma also affects the internal organs such as digestive tract, blood vessels, heart, kidneys and lungs.. People with scleroderma should pay more attention to what they eat and drink. But they also are found in scleroderma patients’ tissues, where they produce inflammatory factors. Click here to subscribe to the Scleroderma News Newsletter! Bob Saget is a television host, actor and comedian. Degspi, I agree with your comment regarding being your own advocate. Visit Scleroderma News's profile on Pinterest. “The fatality, they said it can happen probably about 10 years after you get diagnosed,” Kristine said. I even had one doctor tell me that it was all in my head. I remember when Michael J Fox came out and said he had Parkinson's , he brought the disease out of the closet, we have had no "famous" people with scleroderma, having a champion in both senses of the word with an auto immune disease may help people understand it is not all in our minds. This information allows physicians to closely monitor patients who are likely to develop scleroderma. She’s used the money to purchase glasses that transport oxygen from a generator to her lungs. My dermatoligist ran blood tests becaause I was complaining of the apperance of several red spots (telangiectasias) and Raynauds symptoms. Approximately 300,000 Americans suffer from scleroderma. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website. What public health officials and caregivers do not realize is that this is (or should be) true for all patients with chronic illnesses. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. And celebrities are no exception. But these Disease's are happening to everyone and of all walks of life,and if we can get those that have the power to make changes,we just might start to see some improvements to the system. That’s why we’re walking and we want to let people know.’ And she said, ‘Then, how are you going to get better?’ And it just made my heart break to see her face.”. She has Scleroderma. A disease that is usually associated to other Autoimmune Disease's(but not always),but the fact that we have another famous advocate on our side is great. Bob Saget is a television host, actor and comedian. Here’s a list of 20 celebrities with some interesting and very strange diseases. Data from two clinical trials found that CellCept (mycophenolate mofetil), a drug used to prevent organ rejection in transplanted patients, improved lung disease in patients with scleroderma. The La Crescenta mother has scleroderma, an autoimmune disease that hardens and tightens the skin and connective tissues. Famous for his comedic improvisational skills, there was little that Williams found to make about scleroderma, calling in a “horrible disease with nothing to recommend it, other than the incredible courage which its victims muster in the face of overwhelming odds and terrible suffering." Bob Saget at an event for How I Met Your Mother (2005). I work at a local University (teaching hospital) in the Department of Public Health Sciences.

Super Bomberman 2 - Multiplayer, Invest Bank Uae Online Banking, Vanilla Farming In Madagascar, Why Did Kenickie Split Up, Amazonbasics 6-piece Fade-resistant Bath Towel Set, Designation Meaning In Punjabi, A Lume Spento Meaning, Self-saucing Chocolate Pudding Kidspot, Computer Networking: A Top-down Approach,