How pleased the Lord must have been when Abraham, after receiving direction to sacrifice his only son, Isaac, did as he was instructed, without question and without wavering. If we choose to react like Joshua, and Abraham, and Rebekah and Rachel, our response will be, simply, to go and do the thing that the Lord has commanded. I know you’re not calling me to naiveté and passivity; but I also know you’re not calling me to act like the 4th member of the Trinity. On this Sunday morning, when the complications and temptations of life are somewhat removed, and when we have the time and more of an inclination to take an eternal perspective, we can more clearly evaluate what will bring us the greatest happiness in life. 1:6 (NLT) Dear heavenly Father, here’s a huge understatement: I am so thankful that “salvation is of the Lord,” from beginning to end. And I am certain that God, who began the good work within you, will continue his work until it is finally finished on the day when Christ Jesus returns, Peace-Making, Strife-Avoiding, Jesus-Trusting, Healing for Our World, Nation, and Selves, A Weekend for Kindness and Refreshing One Another, A Burden Removed: A Biblical Path for Removing the Racism of Our Forefathers, The Bible Is a Big Book with Lots of Words, Gospel + Safety + Time = A Church Where Anyone Can Grow, Sneak Peek Interview: Chris and Elizabeth McKinney. Copyright © 2020 The Gospel Coalition, INC. All Rights Reserved. The Gospel Coalition supports the church by providing resources that are trusted and timely, winsome and wise, and centered on the gospel of Jesus Christ. 22:3. I pray that we will decide now to serve the Lord. Then the Lord said unto Joshua, “This day will begin to magnify thee in the sight of all Israel, that they may know that, as I was with Moses, so I will be with thee.” (Josh. 22:2. And I am certain that God, who began the good work within you, will continue his work until it is finally finished on the day when Christ Jesus returns. WHY CONFESS? Several experiences in the life of Joshua are instructive to us today regarding the importance placed by the Lord on keeping commitments and on being committed to following the commandments and direction he has given. 6:20. Job 5:8 I would seek unto God, and unto God would I commit my cause: Psalm 37:4,5 Delight thyself also in the LORD; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart…. Free me to accept others the way you have accepted me in Jesus. Pro Pr) Christian Bible Study Resources, Dictionary, Concordance and Search Tools. (Comp. Commit your work to the Lord, and your plans will be established. The reply of Rachel was simple and straightforward and indicative of her commitment: “Whatsoever God hath said unto thee, do.” (Gen. Perhaps to comfort Joshua, who now had the responsibility for the children of Israel, who didn’t yet have a homeland, and perhaps to comfort that large body of people who had just lost their leader of more than forty years, the Lord spoke to Joshua and said: “As I was with Moses, so I will be with thee: I will not fail thee, nor forsake thee. 24:15.). We should decide now, in the light of the morning, how we will act when the darkness of night and when the storms of temptation arrive. Father, have mercy on me. 3:5. 24:14. (See Gen. When I don’t live with Paul’s certainty about your covenant faithfulness to each of your children, I don’t love well. He was saying that his decision to serve the Lord was independent of whatever they decided; that their actions would not affect his; that his commitment to do the Lord’s will would not be altered by anything they or anyone else would do. In his farewell address he reminded them they had been victorious because God had fought for them, but if they now ceased to serve the Lord and keep his law they would be destroyed. • So let’s be quick to confess before God. Israelite history is filled with examples of covenants, which constitute one of the central themes of the Old Testament—the promises of God made in exchange for the commitments of the prophets and the people. His concern was to do precisely as he was instructed, that the promise of the Lord would be fulfilled. Then speaking about the law only to Moses, the Lord adds: “Observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success.” (Josh. For example, in a commitment to marriage, God's plan is for one woman and one man to commit to each other exclusively and permanently. This is a game-changing revelation about the heart of God for his children. And I am certain that God, who began the good work within you, will continue his work until it is finally finished on the day when Christ Jesus returns. Rev. Here was a great statement of full commitment of a man to God; of a prophet to the desires of the Lord; of Joshua the man to his God, who had many times previously blessed his obedience. 1:7.). 1:6 (NLT) Heavenly Father, here’s a huge understatement: I am so thankful “salvation is of the Lord,” from beginning to end. “Be strong and of a good courage: for unto this people shalt thou divide for an inheritance the land, which I sware unto their fathers to give them.” (Josh. I start making unnecessary observations, offering unhelpful criticisms, and giving unrequested suggestions—the very things I hate for people to do toward me. ), “And Abraham rose up early in the morning … and took … Isaac his son … and went unto the place of which God had told him.” (Gen. We were dead in our sins and trespasses when you raised us up to new life in Jesus—granting us complete forgiveness, declaring us righteous in Christ, and sealing and indwelling us with your Spirit. ), This great military and spiritual leader then urged a commitment, and made one himself and for his family: “Choose you this day whom ye will serve; … “but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.” (Josh. Hallelujah, many times over! 10:24) and quite another just to provoke them unto irritation and avoidance. Forgive me, Father. His commitment was to complete obedience. The covenant made with Abraham and his seed was sealed by the ceremony of circumcision as a sacrament. He reminded them of how Jacob and his children had gone down into Egypt. It is a spiritual discipline requiring time, work and determination." - Commit thy works unto the Lord. 3:7. Joshua is remembered as the one who, on the death of Moses, took command and completed the task of giving leadership to the tribes of Israel. ), A generation after that, when Jacob was instructed to return to the land of Canaan, which meant leaving all for which he had worked many years, he called Rachel and Leah into the field where his flock was and explained what the Lord had said. 1:8.). 1:5–6.). Rt. Philippians 2:12 ESV / 6 helpful votes Helpful Not Helpful Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, 24:12.) I pray that we will have the strength to decide now to do what we ought to do. (See Ex. Isaiah 7:5-7 Because Syria, Ephraim, and the son of Remaliah, have taken evil counsel against thee, saying, …, And thy thoughts shall be established.--Thy plans shall prosper, for they will be undertaken according to the will of God, and carried out by His aid. 1Corinthians 3:9; 2Corinthians 6:1. Joshua knew that his obedience would bring success, and although he did not know exactly how he would succeed, he now had confidence in the result. Please make sure all fields are filled out. And I am certain that God, who began the good work within you, will continue his work until it is finally finished on the day when Christ Jesus returns. In the name of Jesus Christ, amen. The Lord then continues to speak to Joshua by way of commandment: “Only be thou strong and very courageous that thou mayest observe to do according to all the law, which Moses my servant commanded thee: turn not from it to the right hand or to the left, that thou mayest prosper whithersoever thou goest.” (Josh. With faith in the Lord, Joshua could now go forward, knowing that the Lord would direct him in the way he should go. Israelite history is filled with examples of covenants, which constitute one of the central themes of the Old Testament—the promises of God made in exchange for the commitments of the prophets and the people. ), Years later, when Rebekah was asked if she would go with the servant of Abraham to become Isaac’s wife, and no doubt knowing that the servant’s mission had the blessing of the Lord, she simply said, “I will go.” (Gen. 24:3.) 1:6 (NLT). “My Soul Delighteth in the Scriptures”, Activating Young Men of the Aaronic Priesthood, Fundamentals of Enduring Family Relationships, Be a Friend, a Servant, a Son of the Savior, “Behold My Beloved Son, in Whom I Am Well Pleased”, Application of Welfare Principles in the Home: A Key to Many Family Problems, The Blessings We Receive As We Meet the Challenges of Economic Stress. He told of how the Lord had been with Moses and Aaron and had brought their fathers out of Egypt; how, in all of the battles and conquests, they had prevailed, adding this significant statement: “But not with thy sword, nor with thy bow.” (Josh. He takes the Word of God and impresses it upon our heart. Scotty Smith is the founding pastor of Christ Community Church in Franklin, Tennessee. It’s one thing for me to “provoke others to love and good deeds,” (Heb. Phil. But sometimes I wonder why the process of actually becoming more like Jesus is taking so long—first of all in me, and then in others I love. He then admonished them: “Fear the Lord, and serve him in sincerity and in truth: and put away the gods which your fathers served on the other side of the flood, and in Egypt; and serve ye the Lord.” (Josh. The Lord made a covenant with Noah, and the rainbow became the token of that eternal covenant with all mankind.

How Many Calories Are In A Cup Of Black Folgers Coffee, Modway Annabel Headboard, Henry Dunant Pronunciation, Black Bear Movie Plot, Helen Walker Homeland,