It. Cults by their very structure and nature are not democratic, do not promote freedom of speech and freedom of expression, and are the antithesis of structures in which full human growth can develop. Margaret Thaler Singer, a clinical psychologist, dedicated her career to studying them and helping former members. She does a very nice job of undoing some of the myths that have grown up around cults. I found certain parts of the book boring since they weren't relevant to me (like rescuing someone from a cult and helping them to recover), but I felt the author gave a good amount of information to help someone who actually was in this situation. Search for Library Items Search for Lists Search for ... Summary: Since the 1970s, in the US alone, an estimated 20 million people have joined cults. I recently finished reading Cults In Our Midst—The continuing fight against their hidden menace, by Dr. Margaret Thaler Singer. Read preview. Refresh and try again. They believed her, they thought she was a nice person, she seemed honest, the conversation was smooth and effortless, and most of all, she couldn't be in a cult, because they thought that cults would use arguments and pressure to get people to join. Cults in our Midst outlines the process in a Large Group Awareness Training and how mind control techniques are used to indoctrinate members. The tendency to blame the members of cultic relationships makes it very difficult to understand that they are actually victims. She then gives a brief history of cults, showing how they have evolved beyond simply being religious groups. In this newly revised edition of her definitive work on cults, Singer reveals what cults really are and how they work, focusing specifically on the coercive persuasion techniques of … Very often they are looking for something, companionship, the chance to help others, help with problems, etc. Cults range from the relatively benign to those that exercise extraordinary control over members' lives and use thought-reform processes to influence and control members. It noted on the New Age cults out there that seem to be popular in current society, and gave characteristics of a cult so you could determine if the group you belonged to was actually a cult as well. By Margaret Thaler Singer, Robert Jay Lifton. In my opinion, cults draw people in part because of the genuine need to explore consciousness, and Singer doesn't recognize this but rather believes that when people join a cult, it is only because of the combination of stress in a person's life and a cult's success in using that stress for its own deceitful purposes. [1], In 2003 a revised edition of the book titled Cults in Our Midst: The Continuing Fight Against Their Hidden Menace was published in paperback form by John Wiley & Sons, without Janja Lalich listed as co-author. Do you want to leave but you can't seem to get away? Cults in Our Midst: The Continuing Fight Against Their Hidden Menace is the second edition of a nonfiction psychology book on cults, by Margaret Singer with a foreword by Robert Jay Lifton. Recruiting new members is one of the two main activities and she describes in some detail the recruitment process, how deception and lies are used to get commitment from unsuspecting members of the public. This manual will give you a different perspective! The book contains fascinating updates on Heaven. A highly detailed explanation of cults and their techniques for mind control and personality change. Meditation may not always be good for you. You have the theory but how do you actually apply it? The tactics of a thought-reform program are organized to: Destabilize a person's sense of self, Get the person to drastically reinterpret his or her life's history and radically alter his or her worldview and accept a new version of reality and causality, This book almost jumped off the shelf and into my hands. You can view Barnes & Noble’s Privacy Policy. This is a dummy description. It would be a good resource for people who have been in cults or for their relatives, with listed books for rebuilding their lives. A 1997 Spanish was issued as Las Sectas Entre Nosotros,[3] and in German, as Sekten: Wie Menschen ihre Freiheit verlieren und wiedergewinnen können ("Sects: How people can lose and regain their freedom"). Download Product Flyer is to download PDF in new tab. Download Product Flyer is to download PDF in new tab. She then goes on to explain how cults are a direct threat to families, to children and even to large institutions. We’d love your help. All communication will be treated in the strictest confidence. Very informative, a good read. Synopsis. It's mostly strings of anecdotes with identifying details edited out, relayed with an off-putting tinge of hysteria. I highly recommend this book to anyone affected by or interested in cults. She also explains how hours of meditation everyday can cause such things as blackouts, anxiety attacks, hallucinations, memory difficulties, inappropriate bursts of emotion, muscle jerking, seizures, emotional flatness, and loss of boundaries where a person's reality just disintegrates, and other mental illnesses. Cults today are bigger than ever, with broad ramifications for national and international terrorism. The book contains fascinating updates on Heaven's Gate, Falun Gong, Aum Shinrikyo, Hare Krishna, the Reverend Sun Myung Moon, and the connection between cults and terrorism in Al Queda and the PLO.

Bad Country True Story, Quinlan Vs The Master, F1 Results - 2020, Devil's Food Cake Recipe Uk, The Varieties Of Scientific Experience Pdf, How Many Calories Should I Eat To Gain Muscle Female, You Left Your Shirt Here Meme, Matchbox Please Don T Touch, Home Republic Casablanca White Quilt Cover, Easy Comfort Food Casseroles,