The flag has traveled more than 27 million miles during its time in orbit, according to NASA. Eva Claire Hambach/NASA TV/AFP via Getty Images. Adding to their list of similarities, Bob and Doug are also both married to fellow astronauts with each a young son. Both astronauts are veterans of the Space Shuttle program, and the Demo-2 flight was the third trip to space for both of them. The capsule then plunged through Earth’s atmosphere, experiencing intense heating that reached up to 3,500 degrees Fahrenheit. He has also logged more than 37 hours of spacewalking on six different occasions, according to NASA. NASA and SpaceX would have preferred for the astronauts to touch down on the east side of Florida near Cape Canaveral, but Tropical Storm Isaias forced the Crew Dragon to land near Pensacola — one of seven potential landing sites for the capsule around Florida. Mike Hopkins und Victor Glover werden die ersten Astronauten sein, die dann mit SpaceX zur Raumstation fliegen. NASA astronauts Doug Hurley and Bob Behnken reveal PIZZA was their first meal after splashing down in SpaceX's Crew Dragon and say they built a telepathic friendship aboard the capsule after two months at the ISS. “NASA and SpaceX: Journey to the Future: NASA and SpaceX: Journey to the Future.” Discovery, go.discovery.com/tv-shows/nasa-and-spacex-journey-to-the-future/full-episodes/nasa-and-spacex-journey-to-the-future. Douglas Hurley and Robert Behnken were announced as the primary crew on 3 August 2018. Welcome back to Earth, @AstroBehnken and @Astro_Doug! Now, NASA can launch its astronauts on the Crew Dragon, which takes off from Florida and costs about $55 million per seat. ", 24/7 coverage of breaking news and live events. But thanks to the Commercial Crew Program, Behnken and Hurley’s flight marked the first time people had ever launched to orbit on a privately developed spacecraft. Then Behnken and Hurley can exit the capsule and breathe fresh air again. Ist sie erfolgreich, wird die NASA die Crew Dragon als geeignet für ISS-Missionen erklären. More remarkable was the rocket and the capsule, which was designed and operated not by NASA but by a private company: Elon Musk’s SpaceX. newsletter, proved that the capsule can safely bring people home, too, NASA is now entering a new era of human spaceflight. pic.twitter.com/0vAS3CcK9P. Once deorbit began, Behnken described seeing white clouds rushing by the window and heard the capsule pushing through the atmosphere, which he likened to that of an animal noise. On August 2nd, NASA astronauts Bob Behnken and Doug Hurley returned to Earth inside SpaceX’s Crew Dragon, splashing down in the Gulf of Mexico. 'As we descended through the atmosphere, I was surprised at how quickly all the events transpired,' he said. Atom ", "I'm just one piece of a multi-thousand member team that is going to hopefully pull this off in short order," he added. Die NASA-Astronauten Bob Behnken, Doug Hurley, Mike Hopkins und Victor Glover werden voraussichtlich die ersten Menschen sein, die mit SpaceX in den Weltraum starten. Der ebenfalls unbemannte Test soll Anfang nächsten Jahres stattfinden. “Of course I’ll have a lot of tips for her,” Behnken said. Die bemannte Testmission ist für April 2019 angesetzt. The future of space travel is tipped to be exciting. “I wanted to make sure everyone at SpaceX understood and knew Bob and Doug as astronauts and test pilots but also as dads and husbands,” said Gwynne Shotwell, SpaceX’s chief operating officer. But now it’s back on Earth, along with Behnken and Hurley, who undocked from the space station with the flag yesterday evening. Their flight also effectively returned NASA’s human spaceflight program back to the United States. ( Die NASA-Astronauten Bob Behnken, Doug Hurley, Mike Hopkins und Victor Glover werden voraussichtlich die ersten Menschen sein, die mit SpaceX in den Weltraum starten. The launch was originally scheduled for Wednesday, but rescheduled due to inclement weather. NASA astronauts Doug Hurley and Bob Behnken greet their families before the launch of a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket and Crew Dragon spacecraft at the Kennedy Space Center, in Cape Canaveral, Fla., May 27, 2020. NASA astronauts Bob Behnken and Doug Hurley are about to strap into SpaceX's Crew Dragon capsule, making them the first people that Elon Musk's company will attempt to launch into space. I think that’s been the thing that’s been more unique, rather than the capsule itself. Trump has history of calling elections 'rigged' if he doesn’t like the results, Postal worker recants claims of fraud cited by Trump campaign, top Republicans, Potential new legal vulnerabilities could loom for Trump after losing White House, The Note: Biden opts out of Trump’s dangerous post-election game, Alex Trebek reflects on cancer battle, hosting 'Jeopardy!' “It was incredible,” NASA astronaut Bob Behnken said of the launch, moments after the spacecraft reached orbit. Saturday's SpaceX Demo-2 test flight is also historic in that it would mark the first time in nearly a decade that the U.S. is sending American astronauts into space from American soil, ditching an expensive dependency on Russia for seats to space. To commemorate the return of US human spaceflight to American soil, Behnken and Hurley have brought back with them a very special piece of cargo from the ISS: a small American flag. This still image taken from NASA TV, shows the SpaceX Crew Dragon capsule, with astronauts Bob Behnken (front) and Doug Hurley, at Launch Coomplex 39A in Kennedy Space Center in Florida on May 27, 2020. By choosing a commercial provider, NASA hopes to save money and spur development of new space businesses, as SpaceX can also sell seats on its Dragon capsule to non-NASA customers. 'It is a unique way for Bob and I to share this with our sons,' said Hurley. When he's not flying to space, he enjoys hunting and spending time with his family in the Texas Hill Country, according to his official NASA biography. Der nächste Schritt für Space X und das Dragon-Team ist eine erste unbemannte Demo-Mission. Despite the hype surrounding Elon Musk’s historic launch, the two NASA astronauts have largely hidden away from the spotlight. Both Hurley and Behnken have boys who are interested in dinosaurs, so both families collected all the dinosaurs in their homes and the children decided which one could make the trip to the ISS. That’s where it will undergo refurbishment, so that it can fly again on its next mission: SpaceX’s third crewed flight of the Crew Dragon in spring of 2021. There, they’ll board a Gulfstream jet that will take them back to Houston, where their families will be waiting for them. He piloted two spaceflight missions in July 2009 and July 2011, and has logged a total of 683 hours in space. They phoned their wives, who they said were thrilled to hear from them along with NASA flight director Anthony Vareha who shared the news on Twitter Sunday. "Being an astronaut has been a little bit of an abstraction thing for him because he’s seen me do it in old videos but he hasn’t seen me do it for real. Hurley again touched on the prank calls the two made while waiting in the capsule. Launching from Cape Canaveral in Florida, the monumental flight marked the first time in history that NASA astronauts have launched from American soil in a … “Updates.” SpaceX, www.spacex.com/updates/crew-demo-2-mission-update-5-30-2020/. 'I received one of these calls at the flight director console. However, despite attention obviously being on the successful launch of the Demo-2, the reason for the SpaceX mission should not be forgotten. © EIT Engineering Institute of Technology 2020 | RTO Provider Number -, Meet Bob Behnken and Doug Hurley, the two engineers who became Space X astronauts, Applicants with recent secondary education, Applicants with vocational education and training (VET), Industrial Automation, Instrumentation & Process Control, How the COVID-19 pandemic will change engineering education, Battery energy storage in focus as power outages in South Africa continue, Permeable pavement a possible solution for better stormwater management. The Shuttle crew commanded that the flag could be retrieved only by the next crew of astronauts who launched from the US, sparking perhaps the most epic game of Capture the Flag — with respect to time and distance. SpaceX befindet sich mit Boeing im Wettbewerb darin, als erstes Unternehmen überhaupt Astronauten zur ISS zu schicken. Space-X Kapsel "Crew Dragon": Musk hat die NASA als Kunde gewonnen. Just before 2PM ET, the Crew Dragon’s thrusters ignited, taking the capsule out of orbit and setting it on course for Earth. August 2018, abgerufen am 22. 'I am glad we could take Tremor with us and we are happy to see the response to Tremor. There are a lot of similarities between Doug Hurley and Bob Behnken. Each seat on the Soyuz ran NASA roughly $80 million. Trotzdem versichern beide Firmen, ihnen sei Sicherheit wichtiger als der Zeitplan. “My son is 6 years old and I can tell from the videos that I get and talking to him on the phone that he’s changed a lot even in the just couple months that we’ve been up here.”. Meet Bob Behnken and Doug Hurley, SpaceX’s First NASA Astronauts They’re best friends and veterans of the astronaut corps, and each is married to another astronaut. Behnken, 49, a veteran Air Force test pilot, was first selected as an astronaut in July 2000. He continued to explain that his and Hurley's bodies became attuned with the environment. The lead flight director for this mission was Zebulon Scoville. “We are starting the journey of bringing people regularly to and from low Earth orbit and onto the moon and then ultimately onto Mars.”, The International Space Station: 20 Years of Promise, Peril and Fun. They even share the same taste in music. Sparking the interest and curiosity of millions around the world, the human journey into space is one that never ceases to amaze. Turn on desktop notifications for breaking stories about interest? “A lot of them will be about how life on space station goes. Their boarding for the first Demo-2 launch was canceled on May 27, 2020. Now she’ll be flying on an entirely new vehicle and living on the space station for the first time. 'We didn't have time to focus on the Earth for a long period of time, but we had a good feeling about how quickly it was moving.'. While there has been a lot of hype and buzz surrounding Musk and SpaceX, the NASA astronauts have largely shied away from the spotlight. Both members of the NASA Astronaut class of 2000, Bob and Doug were already longstanding friends and lived almost parallel lives, making for the perfect team to break NASA’s nine-year hiatus of launching astronauts from US soil since the retirement of the last space shuttle in 2011. November 2018: „The first astronauts who will launch on SpaceX’s Crew Dragon are NASA’s Bob Behnken and Doug Hurley.“ ↑ NASA astronauts splash down after journey home aboard SpaceX capsule. “I think for me, and probably for Doug as well, I think we’re really excited to see our families,” Behnken said prior to his return. Over 48 hours ago NASA astronauts Doug Hurley and Bob Behnken were bobbing in the Gulf of Mexico inside SpaceX Dragon capsule and today the pair conducted a live Q&A. Behnken and Hurley’s flight was the final test for the capsule as part of that program, and now, SpaceX is already preparing to fly the Crew Dragon again with people — once in September and again in spring of 2021.

Bad Country True Story, When Was Comet Wild 2 Discovered, Tamil Nadu Legislative Assembly, Digital Business Bank Account, Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra Price, Gholam Reza Farahani,