He gets behind the conventional wisdom by taking into account Elizabeth's real personality, background and drive, including her sense of fairness in the face of what appears to us today as horrendous accusations and excution of persons as traitors and heretics during Henry VIII's and Mary Tudor's reigns respectively. I read numerous reviews on this book. A uniquely absorbing tale of one young woman's turbulent, courageous, and seemingly impossible journey toward the throne, Elizabeth is the exhilarating story of the making of a queen. Well over two thirds of the book focuses on Elizabeth's life before her coronation, and as such there is much here about the latter days of Henry VIII's reign, and Elizabeth's relations with her half sister Mary , before and after the latter's accession to the throne, including the extremely difficult (and at different times dangerous) circumstances in which both Elizabeth and Mary found themselves. Elizabeth : the struggle for the throne. I am completely enraptured by this time period and the behind-the-scenes politics and personalities that steered the English ship of state this way and that. he criticizes other biographers far too often. He is also unusually good at keeping the main players, individuals and families, and their relations with one another clearly defined. "Jim Harrison, author of Legends of the Fall and The Road Home. We’d love your help. He is best known for writing and presenting the groundbreaking and hugely popular series Elizabeth and The Six Wives of Henry VIII. This is a superb book. She received a first-rate academic education, excelling in languages and rhetoric and exhibiting a strong interest in the Protestant religion her father had established in England. Please enter recipient e-mail address(es). David Starkey re-creates a host of extravagant characters, madcap schemes and tragic plots, while using original documents to point up the importance of the rituals of power and life at court. A national treasure. After viewing product detail pages, look here to find an easy way to navigate back to pages you are interested in. Get this from a library! In fact it is around page 238 before Elizabeth becomes queen. I knew very little about the early years of this amazing woman. Recommended. Something went wrong. This focuses on the early life of Elizabeth Tudor, before she became queen. I love the subject matter, but cannot bear his tone. Everyday low prices and free delivery on eligible orders. This popular biography started out strong but I felt my interest waning in the last third when it got bogged down in religious debate. Elizabeth emerges as very bright – even as a child she was really very gifted. Copyright © 1995-2020 eBay Inc. Tous droits réservés. Les meilleures offres pour New - Elizabeth: The Struggle for the Throne sont sur eBay Comparez les prix et les spécificités des produits neufs et d'occasion Pleins d'articles en livraison gratuite! Starkey's biography of the early life of Britain's greatest Queen, Elizabeth I, reads in several places almost like a historical thriller. Extensively and intimately researched. Well written, this book gave some new interpretations to Elizabeth's struggles to stay alive during her sister's reign and stronger showed her as a very political thinker. He noted what some contemporaries thought of as her flaws and demonstrated how those perceived flaws worked to her advantage. He never argues his point, just states it while dismissing other historian's research. I haven't yet read a comprehensive biography of Elizabeth I, but figured this one (which actually cuts off right after she ascended the throne) was a good place to start. Want to Read. Great Britain -- Politics and government -- 1558-1603. There was a problem loading your book clubs. Did you know that Henry the VIII's love letters to Anne Boleyn are housed in the Vatican library? Find all the books, read about the author, and more. Review: Elizabeth: The Struggle for the Throne User Review - Sophie - Goodreads. Le paiement immédiat de 23,79 EUR est obligatoire. Here, too, is a fresh view of the famous rivalry between the daughters of Henry VIII: the pious Catholic Mary and her clever sister. This short biography focuses on Elizabeth's childhood and teenage years and ends climatically with her accession at the age of 25. Starkey's close attention to detail and vivid storytelling ability combine to produce a narrative of these extraordinary years that reads like a novel. Here, too, is a fresh view of the famous rivalry between the daughters of Henry VIII: the pious Catholic Mary and her clever sister. Please choose whether or not you want other users to be able to see on your profile that this library is a favorite of yours. But while the history of her rule is fascinating, the story of how her remarkable character was forged seems vital to a full understanding of the woman who led England into a new age of prosperity, power, and artistic achievement. Get this from a library! Most biographies begin when someone is finishing university, after a perfunctory chapter on childhood and family. Extensively and intimately researched. - Garantie client eBay - la page s'ouvre dans une nouvelle fenêtre ou un nouvel onglet, New - Elizabeth: The Struggle for the Throne, À spécifier lors de la finalisation de l'achat, Ce montant inclut les droits de douane, les taxes, les frais de courtage et les autres frais applicables. The subject field is required. In fact it is around page 238 before Elizabeth becomes queen. To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don’t use a simple average. It has a really strong voice, really brings out Elizabeth when faced with some conflicting depictions, and has a very strong evidential basis for the work. Instead, our system considers things like how recent a review is and if the reviewer bought the item on Amazon. For the 2020 holiday season, returnable items shipped between October 1 and December 31 can be returned until January 31, 2021. vicissitude of fortune and every extreme of condition. read more, Mr. Starkey discussed his biography Elizabeth: The Struggle for the Throne, published by HarperCollins. Perhaps Elizabeth had learned early on from the plight of her mother that marriage had its drawbacks. Les frais de retour sont à la charge de l'acheteur. Pour en savoir plus, consultez les. In growing up, Elizabeth experienced every vicissitude of fortune and every extreme of condition. Her imprisonment taught her to cover her tracks, but it did not stop her maneuverings. I enjoyed the insights with her relationships to her siblings, step mothers, father and how they affected her through her childhood into her adult years. I understood why Starke may have taken that route, to show she was influenced by them, especially her father, but felt he lingered too long on them with unnecessary details. Originally published: London: Chatto & Windus, 2000. xii, 363 pages, 16 unnumbered pages of plates : illustrations (some color), portraits ; 24 cm, Introduction: The Struggle for the Throne --. An abused child, yet confident of her destiny to reign, a woman in a man's world, Elizabeth I was to be famed as England's most successful ruler. The legend of Elizabeth I, the untouchable, charismatic Virgin Queen, is a powerful and enduring one. Mr. Starkey describes her relationship with her father and her half-siblings King Edward VI and Queen Mary. This enabled him to bring to life all the elements of Elizabeth I's tenuous existence during the critical years from the death of Edward VI in 1553 through the accession of Mary Tudor and then Elizabeth's own accession in 1558, including the ongoing challenges to her authority during her long reign. We don’t share your credit card details with third-party sellers, and we don’t sell your information to others. Obtenez un remboursement si vous ne recevez pas l'objet que vous avez commandé. *This transcript was compiled from uncorrected Closed Captioning. I didnt feel like I was reading a book I had read before. Elizabeth: The Struggle for the Throne David Starkey, Author HarperCollins Publishers $26 (384p) ISBN 978-0-06-018497-1. Reviewed in the United States on March 4, 2014. But the education she received from life itself would prove far more valuable for the monarch-to-be. But it was her lessons in the school of life that mattered more--and that taught her her humanity. Elizabeth: The Struggle for the Throne [Starkey, David] on Amazon.com.au. While I have read many books on the subject, this one is th. At sixteen she was the head of a great princely household. -- Biography. when told of her ascension) and it was a great, enthralling read! L'acheteur doit payer les frais de retour.

Daily Schedule For Kids, Run With Me Anime, Family Jewels Movie 2011, Recent Montreal Murders, A River Runs Through It Full Book Pdf,