", Produced by Graham Messick, Michael Radutzky and Michael Karzis. "And, the rest is for other people to judge. But, you know, who knows?" "I haven't let myself go there, but as a human being it didn't feel very good.". "The hardest part of all of this has just been listening to this for almost three years. In classic Washington fashion, someone had leaked a story suggesting that the president decided to attack after Tenet said the evidence against Iraq was a "slam dunk.". Is that honorable? The CIA had knocked down that uranium claim months before. Tenet should get over it. He told 60 Minutes in 2003 terrorists were in the U.S. prepared to attack the New York City subways, when bin Laden's number two called them back. "And, the question is, 'How did he get away?' But the CIA had something else in mind. Because our culture is, never break faith with the truth. Truth matters to us.". You don't have imagination. Let's stand up. The president is not the action officer. Now I'm gonna sit back, and then everybody says, 'You idiots don't know how to connect the dots. After college, he worked on Capitol Hill and in the Clinton White House, rising to lead the CIA at the age of 44. And they missed it," Tenet acknowledges. The tension is, 'I've just lived through 3,000 people dying. "Who was out to get you, George?" Tenet writes that it was believed if Saddam had to produce his own fissile material, he might produce a nuclear weapon in the “2007 to 2009” period (in other words, right about now). "But what you're essentially saying is some people need to be tortured," Pelley remarks. You were unwilling to take risk to protect this country,'" Tenet says. "You thought you had some time," Pelley remarks. "Two of the 19 hijackers, in your files, in Langley, Virginia, a year and a half before 9/11 ... they don't get on a watch list. The palpable fear that we felt on the basis of the fact that there was so much we did not know.". Remember, when you write an estimate, when you estimate, you're writing what you don't know. Tenet says our forces were too light to stop bin Laden's escape. Pelley asks. "Well, as you know, hindsight is perfect. But I had another thought. And when you don't have that anymore, well, there you go. Period. George Tenet is a man that just about everybody in Washington likes. Tenet says. Just because there's a Washington bloodletting game going on here and just because her husband's out there saying what he's saying. Pelley asks. He's a professor now, but he first came as a student from Queens, New York. The public face on this what we wrote on weapons of mass destruction and for professionals, who pride themselves on being right, this is a very painful experience for us," Tenet acknowledges. Pelley asks. And honest people doing honest work, for whatever you know, all of these people who are doing the best that they can, and understand this in great granularity, understand all of this and feel this pain, we all know this. We don't torture people. Being at the center of a major national embarrassment is going to be embarrassing. I was involved in a bunch of other things," Tenet says. Biden: ‘I Don’t See a Need for Legal Action’ to Force Trump Cooperation with Transition, Cunningham Concedes North Carolina Senate Race to Tillis, Senator Whitehouse Slams FBI for Lack of Transparency around ‘Tanked’ Kavanaugh Sex Assault Probe, Pompeo: State Dept. Intelligence officers. At the CIA headquarters, as the towers burned and the Pentagon was hit, Tenet got the aircraft passenger manifest; Hazmi and Mihdhar were listed. "Scott, we've gone through this. Tenet is livid over the frequent quoting of his statement in the Oval Office prior to the war that the case that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction was a “slam-dunk.” Absent his saying those words — or, presumably, them being reported — Tenet says he might not have written his new book, At the Center of the Storm. Okay?" 3,000 people died. Is that what you're telling the president?" Pelley asks. As director of the CIA, George Tenet has kept America's most important secrets. Unleashed, authorities, money, direction, leadership; here we come, pal.' I want you to listen to me," Tenet says. Let me say that again to you. That's all you need to know.". To the 9/11 families, I said, you deserve better from your entire government. This confers superpower status on a networked organization that is not a state. Hold it. An unnamed source described to Woodward a pre-war meeting in the Oval Office. Tenet says he sometimes warned the White House its statements were false, but he admits that he missed a big one in the 2003 State of the Union address, when the president said, "The British government has learned that Saddam Hussein recently sought significant quantities of uranium from Africa.". To them, you say what?" Tenet says the president wasn't happy with the presentation. ", Asked if he's sure of that, the former director tells Pelley, "Yeah. To enable Verizon Media and our partners to process your personal data select 'I agree', or select 'Manage settings' for more information and to manage your choices. "I understood. "Didn't you feel like it was your responsibility to know what's going on?" Tenet told 60 Minutes the war in Iraq is "a national tragedy." Tenet says, when he saw "slam dunk" in The Washington Post he knew the breach with the White House was total. "All these commissions, and all these reports never got underneath the feeling of my people. The CIA produced its evaluation of Iraqi weapons of mass destruction in a secret report called a "National Intelligence Estimate.". "I didn't read the speech. "What did you mean by slam dunk?" Poor, poor George. No. Two years before the attacks, the CIA had officers on the ground in Afghanistan laying plans to overthrow the Taliban and take out bin Laden. Then, by the summer of 2001, Tenet says he was so alarmed by intelligence that an attack was coming, he asked for an immediate meeting to brief then-National Security Advisor Condoleeza Rice. "Where did these numbers come from?" "Look, I don't know. "We don't torture people," Tenet maintains. He's a product of Georgetown University; he's a gregarious, outgoing, warm, blunt character who knows how to work the aisle. "Some people have wondered whether the Medal of Freedom is the reason you tend to give the president a pass," Pelley remarks. Listening to the vice president go on 'Meet The Press' on the fifth year of 9/11, and say, 'Well, George Tenet said, slam dunk.' You're gonna throw somebody overboard just because it's a deflection? There's lots of technical data," Tenet says. It came in another White House leak, this time to reporter Bob Woodward. It wasn’t a matter of lying or making the intelligence fit the case for war, but of good-faith assumptions based on incomplete information. We wrote it. Tenet says. Foreign leaders and former presidents sent congratulatory messages to Biden. Before 9/11," Pelley remarks. Well, we don't torture people. What's this tension? After John Deutch's abrupt resignation in December 1996, Tenet served as acting director. I'm not a voyeur. We need to move to the offensive," Tenet says. We'll tell you, you don't have to drag it out of us. "That's not what the vice president's saying," Pelley remarks. "I did not say that. Asked if he lost any sleep over it, Tenet tells Pelley, "Yeah, of course you do! You know, 'Look at what the idiot told us, and we decided to go to war.'

How To Build Core Strength From Nothing, Burnt Norton Lana Del Rey Lyrics, Flavored Half And Half Recipe, Self-saucing Chocolate Pudding Kidspot, Saskatoon Radio Contests, Summer Trifle Recipes, Cupping For Muscular Dystrophy,