[11] These initialisms are controversial, and several authors[12][13][14][15] recommend against their use, either in general or in specific contexts such as business communications. When flip phones became popular — for you youngsters, those were phones without full keyboards! LOL, or lol, is an initialism for laugh(ing) out loud and a popular element of Internet slang.It was first used almost exclusively on Usenet, but has since become widespread in other forms of computer-mediated communication and even face-to-face communication. when you think something is really funny, sort of like 'lol', like roflmao. Texting frees you from a lot of formal grammatical rules, and you can do casual, lazy things with your language, like saying I bims instead of Ich bin’s (“It’s me”). For the radio show, see, Commonly used equivalents in other languages, "Cost of poor writing no laughing matter", "Article co-authored by Stevens professor and student garners nationwide attention from business, academia", "OMG! i need to write a letter to secretary pompeo and inform her of some of the most persian spies in USA ? You also don’t need to bother with c’est, sait or s’est when a simple c will do. — letters were jettisoned in order to save time, which means that over a decade later, Papworth’s “Merry Christmas” had become a “Merry Xmas.”. Allways say dah abouh errytin lmao. Can you help me? [2], Victoria Clarke, in her analysis of telnet talkers, states that capitalization is important when people write LOL, and that "a user who types LOL may well be laughing louder than one who types lol", and opines that "these standard expressions of laughter are losing force through overuse". But in Thailand, it’s used to denote laughter. Textspeak is here 2 stay, even if people do claim it's the "death of language." In Thai, the pronunciation of the number five sounds like “ha,” so typing a series of 5’s is akin to typing “hahaha” or “LOL.”. [15] Matt Haig singles out LOL as one of the three most popular initialisms in Internet slang, alongside BFN[dubious – discuss] ("bye for now") and IMHO ("in my honest/humble opinion"). กู (goo) is a casual, gender-neutral way to say “I,” and มึง (meung) is how you would say “you” in that context. I ask them about it, and they say it wasn’t intentional, it just kind of happened. [26][27], A 2003 study of college students by Naomi Baron found that the use of these initialisms in computer-mediated communication (CMC), specifically in instant messaging, was actually lower than she had expected. It was first used almost exclusively on Usenet, but has since become widespread in other forms of computer-mediated communication and even face-to-face communication. ", "Our Weirdness Is Free: The logic of Anonymous — online army, agent of chaos, and seeker of justice", "Instant Messaging by American College Students: A Case Study in Computer-Mediated Communication", American Association for the Advancement of Science, "OMG: IM Slang Is Invading Everyday English", "Bungie explains how Destiny 2 armor resembling hate symbol made it into the game", "In Charlottesville, GOP candidate for governor Corey Stewart allies with alt-right-inspired blogger who wants to protect 'glorious Western civilization, "How an ancient Egyptian god spurred the rise of Trump", "AMATEUR RADIO GLOSSARY: JARGON, ABBREVIATIONS AND TERMINOLOGY", "French-English translation for "mdr (mort de rire), "Learning to laugh and smile online... Brazilian Portuguese, by Semantica", "Credibility and Authority on Internet Message Boards", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=LOL&oldid=982890297, Wikipedia indefinitely move-protected pages, Wikipedia pages semi-protected against vandalism, Articles with disputed statements from September 2015, Articles with unsourced statements from March 2018, Articles with unsourced statements from December 2011, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, This page was last edited on 11 October 2020, at 00:29. If you see the number 1, it could be referring to the sounds un, ain or ien. (“What’s up?”) into a sleek and simple Wg?. [31], In some languages with a non-Latin script, the abbreviation LOL itself is also often transliterated. But as the saying goes, necessity is the mother of invention. [14], Linguist John McWhorter stated, "Lol is being used in a particular way. The Arabic Chat Alphabet, also known as Arabizi, Arabish or Franco-Arabic, was born from these technological limitations. English teachers, what does right off the bat mean? "[6], David Crystal notes that use of LOL is not necessarily genuine, just as the use of smiley faces or grins is not necessarily genuine, posing the rhetorical question "How many people are actually 'laughing out loud' when they send LOL?". There are also informal ways to say “I” and “you” that you’ll most often hear among younger people speaking amongst their friends. what do you mean by "LMAO". So in effect, b1 translates to bien. [3] June Hines Moore shares that view. Is it possible to learn 6 languages until december of 2029? Is this correct grammar.? Here are some of our favorite examples of textspeak from six different languages. Arabizi makes it possible to use a combination of Arabic numerals and the Latin alphabet to write Arabic words and phrases. Even though LOL, LMAO, ROFL, and haha mean generally the same thing, they’re certainly not interchangeable, and each one takes on its own meaning depending on the context and the person. Or indeed, I may not actually laugh out loud but may use the locution 'LOL' to communicate my appreciation of your attempt at humor. He describes the various initialisms of Internet slang as convenient, but warns that "as ever more obscure acronyms emerge they can also be rather confusing". 3:08. XQ means both por qué (“why”), and porque (“because”). What does LMFAO mean? Saying “Hello?” when answering the phone is pretty much an automatic reflex, but where did this convention actually come from.

Holding Commercial Property In A Sipp, Then Came You Full Movie 2020, Micron Overtime Pay, Color Mixing Book Pdf, Haagen-dazs Dark Chocolate Ice Cream Bar Calories, Mp Vidhan Sabha Result 2018, Eithne Name Origin, Rattan Side Table Uk, Janus Henderson Invesco, Watch Dear John Online, Kristen Bell Book,