I had steroid shots to mature her lungs since a baby’s lungs usually aren’t ready for the outside world until at least 35 weeks. If I had her issues may not have been so severe. After a month of careful observation, her head kept growing so they recommended shunt surgery. My son and his wife have just received the news that their baby has 4mm of fluid on the brain. How could I not have see that bulging forehead and done the surgery even sooner? She was having sunset eyes, nystagmus, projectial vomiting at 6 weeks of age. But I still don’t understand why, WHY this happened. Till today, he is very ok and living with the SHUNT. My son was born with congenital Hydrocephalus, not diagnosed and sent home like everything was alright. This was their 3 month scan. With a passion for communication, and a mantra for personal fitness, she is a psychologist with a post graduate degree from Delhi University. I was very touched by your story and the relationship it sounds like you have with your mother. I was wondering if it would be OK if I asked you a few questions about your hydrocephalus in hopes that it will help me make my sons life better. God has blessed her so much and us, despite her conditions. I recently just had a baby boy and what’s amazing is that his head is just as big as hers when she was born! Acquired hydrocephalus can affect children or adults. Endoscopic third ventriculostomy/ETV is an alternative procedure to shunt surgery. I had headaches that made me scream and cry and I would throw up and then fall asleep. It is being reported in the media as a rare condition. Shine, the spina bifida and hydrocephalus charity, can provide you with the details of local support groups and organisations. Yes he is very delayed, and also has seizures, but he is the happiest boy in the world. Hydrocephalus baby pictures Browse 413 hydrocephalus stock photos and images available, or search for water or neurosurgery to find more great stock photos and pictures. Computerized tomography/CT scans are used to diagnose hydrocephalus in children and adults. Our government and the National Institutes of Health must make hydrocephalus a priority to be addressed. My daughter is 6 and is shunted due to prenatal meningitis. Read more about the complications of surgery for hydrocephalus. I am the one the Aunt contacted about “baby Klaus”. How could I not have see that bulging forehead and done the surgery even sooner? Here are some resources on how to write to your congressional representative. Now all of a sudden, everything was IMMEDIATE. Have hope that with a solid medical team it will work fine. I’m now convinced delivering her as early as we did, though it was hard, probably saved her from a significant amount of brain damage. They should not be allowed to continue to practice. It just goes to show that education is the key. A shunt was placed in December of 1990 and so far so good, but this condition needs to be talked about and shared; it is not as uncommon as you might think. In the past, hydrocephalus was referred to as "water on the brain". By the grace of God and the excellent neurosurgeon, my son is now 24 years old and has never needed a shunt revision. CSF or cerebrospinal fluid goes through the brain and the spinal cord and increases in certain conditions. I have hope as I have hope for my own child and other children with any condition. There is a decrease in the ability of blood vessels to ensure adequate absorption. For unknown reasons, he was not treated with the standard surgical placement of a shunt for hydrocephalus – a life-long neurological condition with no cure – but sent home and his parents were given little hope that he would live. Pediatrician never saw a problem with his big head because he was a big baby. Symptoms or signs affecting toddlers and older children include high pitched short cries, changes in personality and facial structure, crossed eyes, headaches, muscular spasms, delays in growth, difficulty in eating, lack of good sleep, loss of motor coordination, irritability, loss of bladder control, sleep disturbances, vomiting and nausea, seizures and concentration problems. Symptoms of hydrocephalus are influenced by age, degree of ventricular enlargement, the rate of development of the CSF accumulation, nature of hydrocephalus and the underlying condition. My Son had hydrocephalus as well…much prayers and by God Grace he no longer has it…. I wasn’t diagnosed with it until I was 26 years old. Seriously, there has to be some malpractice law against them just sending him home and saying he won’t survive, when he could have been helped. The truth of the matter is that when the doctor starts describing big heads and such with a pregnant Mom or Dad, it's hard to understand just what this might mean for how your child may look when they are born or later in life. It is common to see images of children with untreated hydrocephalus similar to Baby Klaus in developing countries and in the U.S. prior to the invention of the shunt in 1952; but since that time in the U.S., hydrocephalus is treated surgically despite many suffering from shunt failures that require repeated brain surgeries simply to live. There is always hope. I don’t understand this at all! Telephone: 301-202-3811 / 888-598-3789 Thank God for my husband who noticed some of the signs and symptoms. Required fields are marked *. I pray we find a lasting solution to the cause of this ailment in Nigeria to reduce the number of children living with disabilities in our society. My heart goes out to this family. This is a serious and life threatining condition that does need to raise some awareness around the world. Torrey Anderson She does get weekly physical and/or occupational therapy, but she’s doing fantastic! I am from Scotland. Read more about diagnosing hydrocephalus. I understand there is no cure. At age 32 they placed a shunt in my head, and I am now 54. he was shunted the next day. The National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke has estimated that about 2 of every 1,000 babies … old when diagnosed. Brain scans, such as CT scans and MRI scans, can be used to diagnose congenital and acquired hydrocephalus. Let him or her know about Baby Klaus and tell them why you care. Many babies born with hydrocephalus (congenital hydrocephalus) have permanent brain damage. That shunt lasted for 10 years until i grew out of it and the tube broke in my neck. It can also be caused by traumatic brain injuries such as those seen in Iraq war veterans who have experienced concussive explosions. This condition begins gradually and is most common for adults over 60 years of age. When she wasw 8 it failed. Please pray for him. . She is 14 but she has the mind of a 4 to 6 year old. Email: info@hydroassoc.org If anyone is colorado would like to connect about Hydrocephalus please contact me at christinaandroy@yahoo.com. We thank god every day that we did not listen to them. Hi I’d they take the shunt out of his head my son also was born with it and shunted at 5 weeks old I was also told he didn’t have it anymore but the shunt and tube is still there he is 26 now but the tube looks so tight I don’t no what to do. God bless all of you. To check if a person or a child has this condition, a medical exam needs to be performed to look for signs and symptoms. Your child may be given contrast liquid to help his brain show up better in the pictures. The scar tissue that had built up around the tube over the years provided enough passage for the fluid to continue to drain but my doctors stated it wouldn’t have lasted long. My daughter is now 14 rs old and is living with the affects of undiagnosed menengitis which led to her developing hydrocephalus. My daughter is 6 and is shunted due to prenatal meningitis. He is now receiving treatment for his extreme condition. Symptoms and Signs in Toddlers and Older Children, Liverpool University Faculty of Health Sciences, Goldenhar Syndrome : Causes, Picture, Symptoms And Treatment, Measles Rash : Causes, Symptoms and Treatment, Tips to Getting Rid Of A Fatty Liver and Help in Losing Weight, Butt Acne: Causes, Treatments and Home Remedies, Coronavirus Disease: Causes, Symptoms, Prevention, Treatment, Breast Cancer : Causes, Symptoms, Stages, Detection,Treatment, Recovery, The Smoothie Diet Program For Weight Loss, 9 Chia Seeds Health Benefits and Frequently Asked Questions, How To Get Rid of Cellulite - Causes and Treatment, Homemade Strawberry Sauce Easy Recipes: Health Benefits of Strawberry, How to Make Bone Broth - Health Benefits of Bone Broth, Keto Trim Review – Dietary Supplement For Weight loss, Why Muscle Recovery Equipment is the Next Big Gym Equipment Trend, Best Anti-aging Creams that Really Work | Top 10 Anti-Aging Creams, Best Homeopathic Medicines for Gaining Weight, Best African Black Soap: Top 5 Review and Buying Guide, Best Bronzer Brush – Top 5 Review and Buying Guide, Best Vitamin C Serum for Your Face – Top 5 Expert Reviews and Picks, Best Concealer For Bruises – Top 5 Review and Buying Guide, Best Water Based Moisturizers for Oily Skin : Top 7 Review and Buying Guide, Top 5 Green Tea Smoothie Recipes and Their Health Benefits, Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe – Cooking Tips and FAQ, Infections: Cytomegalovirus, toxoplasmosis, rubella, Hemorrhage/internal bleeding in the brain.

A Full Moon In March Yeats, Summary Of The Cratchits Christmas Dinner, Spy Camera With Audio For Car, Beef Tenderloin Steak Recipe Grill, We Are Many Parts, But One Body,