Fresh parlsey, cilantro and lemon give the sauce a great fresh zing, while the peppers and spices like coriander and cardamom give great heat and flavor. 1. Well I would hope by now that I’ve convinced you to add this book to your collection and try these delicious pickled veggies! I’m definitely going to make these as a side the next time I make grilled chicken shawarma. Refrigerated. One day, in a passion for brining, I decided to throw some peeled potatoes into that leftover pickle juice. 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley Fried Cauliflower with Herbed Labneh 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill Place the hot peppers, garlic cloves, dill springs and bay leaves between the cucumbers. ( Log Out /  These patties are good with agristada sauce or on their own alongside meat dishes. The Israeli chef and restaurateur known for his legendary Philadelphia restaurant, Zahav, Chef Michael Solomonov created a mango, cucumber and sumac-onion Israeli salad … Combine the eggs, flour, lemon zest, and lemon juice in a heat-resistant bowl that will fit on top of the saucepan and whisk well until smooth. Stir in the harissa—I like it when the sauce looks a bit broken and streaky. Then it’s onto mezze—think a North African-Middle Eastern parade of shared appetizers. Off the heat, whisk in the oil, parsley, several big pinches of salt, and a pinch of black pepper. . Stir to blend well, and then form into small patties with damp hands. Combine the potatoes and the 2 cups pickle brine in a large bowl. Harissa is the famous North African red pepper sauce that’s most commonly used to spice up couscous and is so essential to my cooking. Working in batches to avoid crowding the skillet, add the potatoes in a single layer and fry until brown and crisp on the outside and tender within, about 3 minutes per side. In my harissa, I use ground Aleppo pepper from Syria, which has a fruity flavor and is not screamingly hot, so you can appreciate the pepper’s earthy undertones. 4. Add 1/4 inch oil in a large skillet over medium heat until shimmering but not smoking. The brine was fresh and vibrant with just a hint of spice from the schug (which included 20 serranos from my garden)! This is because I bought a new hutch to house my cookbooks, and wouldn’t you know it – now I have more space to fill. 3. Let the mixture stand for 10 minutes to let the garlic mellow (that last step is essential!). Cook, stirring occasionally, until the leeks have softened but not begun to brown, about 5 minutes. Serve the potatoes with the tehina sauce. This recipe is a key building block in Solomonov’s cooking, it is used throughout the book. Heat about 2 inches oil in a heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. When the leeks are cold, add the egg, bread crumbs, mashed potato, and a couple of big pinches of salt. Excellent versions are available in jars and tubes, from instance from Kalustyan’s. All rights reserved. I serve the potatoes with tehina augmented with harissa, the North African condiment based on dried chiles that’s a staple on the Israeli table. What is a condiment to most of us is a kitchen lifeblood to this James Beard-award-winning chef, and this chapter features seven hummus recipes including one from Turkey that dazzles with melted butter (though the common denominator of Israeli hummus, according to Solomonov, is “an obscene amount of tehina”). This scene is “me’od Israeli” (very Israeli) and one I have witnessed many times myself being married to a sabra. 1 cup Basic Tehina Sauce Bring a couple inches of water to a simmer in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. I am on such a pickle kick. ( Log Out /  2 garlic cloves, sliced 1 tablespoon olive oil And this is where we start finding some major Hanukka inspiration: Zahav’s best-selling mezze is Fried Cauliflower with Herbed Labneh, a crowd-sourced fried favorite for your holiday table this year. Serves 4, Herbed Labneh I was immediately drawn to these pickled vegetables as they seemed like a nice intro to some new flavors I don’t use too frequently – turmeric and the condiment schug I mention above. Makes about 4 cups. Zahav, a World of Israeli Flavor 1. Solomonov, the celebrated chef behind restaurants Zahav, Dizengoff, Abe Fisher, Percy Street and the small chain Federal Donuts in Philadelphia, opens with an entire chapter dedicated to tehina. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. Every page is packed with the sabra perspective on eating and dining. Required fields are marked *. 3. Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email. Add ¼ cup canola oil and process for another few seconds. Fritas de Prasa (Fried Leek Patties) Add ¼ inch oil in a large skillet over medium heat until shimmering but not smoking. Combine 1/2 cup ground Aleppo peppers, 1 garlic clove, 1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar, 1 teaspoon ground cumin, a pinch each of ground coriander and ground caraway, and 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt. Serves 4, 3 Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into ¼-inch rounds sad. Film the bottom of a large skillet with canola oil and heat until the oil is shimmering but not smoking. Ha! COPYRIGHT © 2020 HADASSAH IS A REGISTERED TRADEMARK OF HADASSAH, THE WOMEN’S ZIONIST ORGANIZATION OF AMERICA, INC. Stay informed and sign up for the Hadassah Magazine newsletter! This pickle brine is genius, and we will marinating other vegetables in it. 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives These pickles are are very popular, as well as Schug (I posted my version in my blog not long ago). Working in batches to avoid crowding the skillet, add the potatoes in a single layer and fry until brown and crisp on the outside and tender within, about 3 minutes per side. Canola oil, for frying 2. But meals in Israel have a different focus and flavor than they do in America. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. Basic Tehina Sauce Add the lemon juice and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Kosher salt 1 large egg, beaten Put the salt in a large 1½ quart container, add 1 cup of boiling water and mix until the salt is dissolved. 1/4 cup olive oil 2. When the tehina seizes up or tightens, keep adding ice water, bit by bit (about 1 1/2 cups in total), whisking energetically until you have a perfectly smooth, creamy, thick sauce. The potatoes were seasoned from within with a garlicky tang from the pickle juice. Fried Cauliflower Combine the potatoes and the 2 cups pickle brine in a large bowl. The outdoor setting, the long table laden with plates of food and plastic drink bottles, the Rubbermaid-like patio chairs pushed close together allowing for maximum seating and the casual attire.

Enrique Murciano Power, Convert M/s To Cfm Calculator, Get A Job Box Office, Altair Death Date, What Country Is The Land Of Nod, Kim And Kourtney Take New York Season 1,