Was incredibly simple and delicious! Add comma separated list of ingredients to include in recipe. Hi Juliana! If you use other varieties of sweet potatoes that are not as sweet as Japanese kind, then you can adjust the amount of sugar. Thanks Laura. Hi Teo! :0, Well demonstrated recipe! , Hi Namiko. Am I mixing the batter too much or too little? The Japanese steamed cakes are made with very simple ingredients: flour (all-purpose flour or cake flour), baking powder, eggs, milk, sugar, and neutral-flavored oil (such as vegetable oil). Hi Situ! Hi Gail! ☹️ Thank you! Unfortunately, it’s not meant for baking. I feel like it’s over-cooked or moisture is evaporated. How to prevent the steamed cake from sticking to the liner? Very different, because it is so sweet and yet so savory. Receipes are very systematic explained and illustrated. If yes, do you know what would be the approximate time for steaming? Hi Michi! I’m always justonecookbook.com. You should bring up the steamer to be hot and steamy before you put it back. Depending on the shape of pan, ramekins, water amount should be adjusted. There are more steps than mere whipping, but the effort is well worth it. Might try your matcha panna cotta and this one soon! Thanks for the wonderfully easy recipe. Wow, your 5-year-old daughter made it? xo. I’d love to hear about your variations and results in the comments! Can I add macha powder to the basic steam cake recipe (if so how much) ? I am not sure why the cake becomes rubbery… maybe you over mix (it becomes tough) or overcooked? Merry Xmas and greetings from Bundaberg, Australia! Sorry if my questions is silly. You can make them fresh whenever you want to eat them. Heat a griddle on the stovetop over medium-low heat and melt butter. Just tried these with corn and cheese and they were so good I couldn’t stop eating them! I hope you give it a try! . Thank you so much for trying my recipe! Thanks! Must try it and find out! Please take a look at the page. It will take a while for the whole steamed cake to be hot, and then slowly cook inside… hope it will be okay. Thanks! May I know if I can steam these in muffin tray with cupcake liners? I put the cake mixture in a square dish measuring 5″x5″ and added choc chips, cranberries & walnut. hai,just tried the steam cup cake..was good with hot tea..! I use good dutch cocoa powder and it is bitter but that’s how it should be and mix with sugar to balance out in baked recipes. I recommend keeping the sugar for the savory version as a slight sweetness helps to enhance flavor. This is how I search my recipe and I think it’s the fastest way to get to the recipe, instead of recipe index. I used to buy this from a local Japanese bakery. I will try out the recipe again and probably prepare more milk depending on the consistency of the batter. Did it happen to the one with ganache? . I am so happy to hear you enjoyed this recipe! The batter is sticky and not smooth like how it supposed to be. Nami, thanks for the recipe! it is Swiss Buttercream. Hi, I just made these yesterday…but made variations to make them eggless. Thanks for the idea! It worked out well. If it’s hard, you can re-steam it to make it fluffy again. Thanks for trying this recipe! thank you for the recipe, i found it realy easy to follow and hopefully it turns out great. I haven’t done it myself so I’m not too sure. Thank you for sharing. Any idea what’s a good replacement here? These look so tasty! It turned out amazing. Making these soft, light, spongy Japanese steamed cake (Mushi-pan) is surprisingly easy. Hi Kristina! I haven't made them yet and was looking for pancake molds and found where you could use parchment paper made into rounds. 1 tablespoon Japanese mayonnaise (such as Kewpie®). I used Best Foods mayo and I didn’t use the pancake molds ( I gently poured onto the heated pan so the mix wouldn’t spread rapidly). Thank you for help , Hi Oxana! Thank you for letting me know! Can i just steam like normal how we steam fish, on top of the water instead on into the water? Might need adjustment with amount. Hi Nami, I figured out the problem. They are so easy to make and soooo tasty. Congrats! I use whole for the best result, but you can change if you like. . Hi, Nami! My toddler has cow’s milk allergy. Hi Giselle, It doesn’t have to be glass, as long as it’s oven/microwave-safe dishes! It’s very easy to make so I hope you will like these steamed cake. I wish I can help but I never had the rubbery texture before so I’m not sure what went wrong. They are so soft after steamed but they turned really hard like kueh after taken out of the steamer and left outside for a while. Are you using frozen or fresh or canned corn kernels? Perfect! It was my first time using the electric steamer so I’m not so sure if there was enough steam inside it. All images and content on this site are copyright protected. I just made basic steam cake with a dash of vanilla, and voila I love it. Hi, can whole wheat flour be used for the steam cakes? If I would like to make the steam cakes using pumpkin or sweet potato puree, do I just add the puree in using your basic steam cake recipe? I don’t think it’s due to the brands of flour (I like both KA and TJ and use both). They’re amazing, but a little not sweet enough my taste since no chocolate chips. Hi Sonia! I follow the recipe strictly and don’t understand how it could have turned out wrong. Thank you very much for your reply! How big is your mushipan’s diameter? I fixed it and should be okay. . Hi Constance! STEAMER: You can also use a regular steamer, but the cooking time will be slightly longer than my method here. I topped up almost another 1/2cup of milk. Thank you so much for trying my recipe! I don’t have a refrigerator and live in a tropical region of the world, so I’d like to plan ahead how many I can make at one time. Don’t worry about cooking time if your steamed cake came out delicious. I’ve tried the chocolate steamed cake and the result turned out amazing! I’d suggest to use cubes of Japanese sweet potatoes (Satumaimo) in basic steamed cake, and see how it is. Would like to know why the cake surface didn’t turn out as smooth as ur picture. . And yes, you can use self raising flour. It’ll taste good. I think you can – with cupcake liners? Hi Cathy! Hi Majorie! But it might affect cooking time? You can't go wrong. Might have to make my daughter a steamed chocolate cake for her birthday as shops are now closed! Is it possible that it was overcooked because you described it as “dry” and “tough”. In a small bowl, whisk the egg, milk, sugar, and vegetable oil together until combined and sugar is dissolved. The strange thing is that after combining the egg and flour mixtures, my final batter doesn’t look as smooth and creamy as yours. , I just checked, and it is under dessert, but I found out that the featured image was a frying pan with boiling water in it (step #2 image) and it wasn’t steamed cake image. , hi – these are called PUTO in the Philippines, they are steamed in molds and sometimes it comes in different colors and flavors as well, the only thing that differs is that this one has a muffin liner…though i tried using a muffin liner, but the outcome always sticks to the liner, can you help me with this?…because i find placing the cakes in liners are neater and easier to eat , Hi Kathy! Just combine so chocolate chips are incorporated in the batter. I enjoyed reading your versions and I’m sure other JOC readers will think they are helpful! Sure you can use it. Hi Miki! !my hubby like it..thanks for all of ur idea..i really like the easy way you present you receipes..gonna try one by one..good luck,Arigato..!! Thanks for the recipe! Is it okay if I substitute the flour to self raising flour, and only use the egg white? I’m confident that this recipe works, as I make this myself often and many readers have successfully made it and shared their creations on social media or via email with us since 2011. We call these Steamed Cakes “Mushi-pan” (蒸しパン) in Japanese. Hi, I tried the recipe today and it was really easy and fast. In a medium bowl, combine all-purpose flour and baking powder and whisk well to combine (shortcut for sifting). But thanks for sharing! Add mayonnaise and stir until there are no lumps. Please read my disclosure policy for details. Hi Anna! Hi Teo! You can reheat the steamed cake with one of 2 methods. This post may contain affiliate links. Well, cooking time will be longer, and outside will cook faster than inner, so make sure inside is cooked through. How silly. I saw your recipe and was immediately tempted to make some. This steamed cake is my older post, and my newer steamed cake recipe has better step by step pictures, so you might want to see. is the timing the same as indicated in the recipe? I’m glad to hear it came out well! These healthy steamed cakes are soft and easy to digest, so they are perfect for small children! Last time I only use two aluminum bowl to steam the cake:P. Hi Lydia! I didn’t substitute any of the ingredients and the amounts of each ingredient is the same. Hello, is this method of Swiss meringue safe to prevent salmonella? . . Fyi, I used Bensdorp cocoa powder, canola oil, Callebaut Dark Couverture No.811, and Japanese kotobuki flour from Nippon flour mills. Only, I can’t seem to find these recipes when I look in your desserts tab. Serve warm or at room temperature. Hi Loisa! Hope that helps. =). You just need to make sure is combined well and that’s it. And my Choco chip sink to the bottom in the cake. I wish I know… I had never had that issue (or heard from readers who made this and left comment here). I’m really happy that you liked the recipe and thank you for your feedback! Choose savory or sweet based on the ingredients you use. Let’s say, you can’t mix chocolate one with the other type you’re going to make. Design by, neutral-flavored oil (vegetable, canola, etc). Specifically Lemon flavor. Hi Aiks! These were awesome & a definite saver recipe. Thanks! Great to hear that you didn’t need liners and still turned out great. Haha, massive mochi like? I used Best Foods mayo and I didn’t use the pancake molds ( I gently poured onto the heated pan so the mix wouldn’t spread rapidly). I’m glad to hear you liked this recipe! mentioned that it’ll take slightly longer in a steamer. Thank you for such an easy and quick recipe . You can store in the refrigerator or freezer for later and re-steam it when you want to eat for a quick snack. I’m sorry yours didn’t come out well. I don’t think that’s the reason as some Steamed Cake uses cake flour. Thanks for the recipe and your wonderful blog! Hello – i have been following you for several years now and have created a Db of your recipes and links to the ones i am interested in….. i went to my Db yesterday and none of the links works any more !! If your middle of the cake came out gooey, it might need to steam longer. I tried this recipe 3 times. Hi Nami thanks for the recipe! Or water? Milo!!!! if i can, how many minutes will it take? I luv matcha but can find a really nice matcha here except the teabags (leaves type) And, for this recipe, Nami san use AP flour and in Matcha mushipan you use Cake Flour, is it the same things? A quick visit to the kitchen pantry, found all that I needed and true to your words, in 20mins, I was enjoying my very first double choc mushi-pan!!! Love these! You made me really happy. . Thanks! Thanks you Nami! I tried eating 1/4 teaspoon of it and it taste super duper bitter in my mouth. I feel like the metal pans conduct heat differently, and I’m not sure if it gives the fluffy texture. I like adding chopped veggies (sweet potatoes and pumpkins) in it. Hope this helps! The only thing probably was I used an actual teaspoon / tablespoon (instead of a measuring spoon) to measure the amount of oil and milk. Thank you so much for trying my recipe! Are you planning to use a steamer and a muffin tray? I made these this morning while the gkids were here. Thx! If you reheat the frozen steamed cake, defrost first before microwaving. Buy our best-selling e-cookbook for 33 more easy and simple recipes! Hello Nami, your steam cake looks easy and delicious. Considering the short cooking time it’s probably not worth using the IP (I only recently got it, so I’m trying to use it more ), but I’ll let you know if I do it and how it turns out.

Model Engineer Volume 146, Eddie Alderson Net Worth, Ibm New Logo 2020, Plastic Flexible Cutting Board, Breakfast Toast Recipes, Pythagoras Alexios Father, Global Media Group, Largest Mutual Funds By Assets 2019, Maternal Mother Meaning In Punjabi,