For example: Some instructors warn that starting a sentence with a coordinating conjunction is incorrect. /StructParents 0 Coordinating conjunctions coordinate or join two or more sentences, main clauses, words, or other parts of speech which are of the same syntactic importance. (so that, unless, or), The musicians delivered a rousing performance _________ they had rehearsed often. Q�*�)���؈ ��OV��8�$w��;��筿�/��?�� �$��[M3m5��u7$���q&���p��&d�F!��eɽA]�Y�9��*���%�6p���[x�"���-BoEaD��z��(�Ʉ�" 1 0 obj Complete each sentence using the correct coordinating conjunction from the parenthesis: Answers: 1 – and, 2 – nor, 3 – but, 4 – yet, 5 – for, 6 – or, 7- so, 8 – but, 9 – so, 10 – for. Jennifer does not like to swim, ____ does she enjoy cycling. (but, or, and) Sharon hates to listen to rap music, _____ will she tolerate heavy metal. 6. Uninstall instructions, End-User License Agreement & Privacy Policy. Also known as coordinators, coordinating conjunctions are used to give equal emphasis to a pair of main clauses. I am allergic to cats, yet I have three of them. _____ 7. /Type /Catalog Uninstall instructions, End-User License Agreement & Privacy Policy, I visit the Grand Canyon _________ I go to Arizona. (but, nor, or) Carol wanted to drive to Colorado, _____ Bill insisted that they fly. Complete each sentence using the subordinating conjunction from the parenthesis: Get /Type /Pages (if, so, when), Write this down _________ you forget. The following exercises will help you gain greater understanding about how coordinating conjunctions work. Use sentence combining worksheets to practice how to combine sentences. Mostly, this is because they are attempting to help prevent you from writing fragments rather than complete sentences; sometimes though, it’s just a personal preference. >> 1. (therefore, namely, in contrast), We had hoped to go to Spain; _________, we ended up in France. /MarkInfo << B. or (as, though, when), We are leaving Wednesday _________ or not it rains. A. and Hurry up. There is a lot to do. Do so only when it makes your writing more effective. The common forms include the use of the following words and phrases: until, while, if, no matter how, and as. /Pages 2 0 R /Resources << Complete each sentence using the correct correlative conjunction pair from the parenthesis: Answers: 1 – either / or, 2 – whether / or, 3 – no sooner / than, 4 – not / but, 5 – if /then, 6 – both / and, 7 – not only / but also, 8 – not / but, 9 – either / or, 10 – neither / nor. Page and check your text using a unique Contextual Grammar and Spell Checker. B. but Answers: 1 – whenever, 2 – where, 3 – if, 4 – unless, 5 – though, 6 – whether, 7- so that, 8 – as, 9 – so, 10 – lest. They are usually placed at the beginning of the sentence or between clauses with a comma placed between the two clauses. 2 – D. Jennifer does not like to swim, nor does she enjoy cycling. D. so. >> Answer: 3. endobj He could not attend the class. /Type /Group Jackson wanted to eat another piece of cake, ____ he was on a diet. This list contains all of them. (once, whenever, wherever), This is the place _________ we stayed last time we visited. >> /Parent 2 0 R Tom was down with flu. (otherwise, instead, again). Would you rather have cheese or bologna on your sandwich? (meanwhile, instead, therefore), He is a weak leader; _________, he has plenty of supporters. /StructTreeRoot 23 0 R NM��D�Qe�%'L7��=$��0� ɪ�WT/݆�7��E�1�b��C��~nE�s;̖\�����t6jo�${�%����A�Ŏ-Ď��{KYM[Jk=99�h��(SG�Ǟ�� ?qnIw'�7.��#G+�(������y�7�r5l�� m�(d>��p6^ Combine the following sentences using the conjunctions given in the brackets. Remember, there are only seven coordinating conjunctions. (Unless) 4. The doctors do not expect him to recover. /Group << 2 0 obj (however, therefore, on the other hand), I love the color red; _________, this shade seems a little too bright. Complete each sentence using the correct coordinating conjunctive adverb from the parenthesis: Answers: 1 – therefore, 2 – nonetheless, 3 – otherwise, 4 – contrast, 5 – instead, 6 – meanwhile, 7- nevertheless, 8 – undoubtedly, 9 – therefore, 10 – instead, Copyright 2020 Ginger Software | << /F1 5 0 R My brother wants to go to the lake. You will pass. Give full attention to your studies. >> (otherwise, undoubtedly, similarly), Natalie wanted to make pie but didn’t have apples; _________, she decided to bake a cake. A. but I wanted to go to the beach, but Mary refused. (whether / or, not only / but also, either / or), Calculus is _________ easy _________ difficult _________ (not / but, both / and, either / or), It’s _________ going to rain _________ snow tonight. /Length 3082 I am a vegetarian, ­­­­_______ I don’t eat any meat. (If) 2. Combining Sentences With Subordinating Conjunctions When you write, your writing is more interesting if you can vary sentence structures. Coordinating and subordinating conjunctions. Also known as coordinators, coordinating conjunctions are used to give equal emphasis to a pair of main clauses. /Image11 11 0 R (but, so, yet), I was on time, _________ everyone else was late. Answer: 2. I am allergic to cats, ­­­­______ I have three of them. (where, when, how), _________ you win first place, you will receive a prize. Answer: 1. Linking words. Worksheets cover coordinating and subordinating conjunctions, and include answer keys. 3 – B. Jackson wanted to eat another piece of cake, but he was on a diet. =n�HFwhgt{3�Z�tA�Pj����q�������XڽO��>��o�K�)L�E�Q-b�B0�|� }�D����]y���q'���2��0��HG�/Qb��拉90�B��4c��JIHA�����qe�H�ԃPسe�M�gr� You will miss the train. 4 0 obj h��E�!iP����� %���� C. for (but, or, and), Sharon hates to listen to rap music, _________ will she tolerate heavy metal. His two favorite sports are football ______ tennis. Coordinating Conjunction Exercises. /Font << +t���������"�K����3oÙS����x9�U�ug;��e�;��M�ry��ڂ ��a���z2mQo��%BT`��y�u[�W�U�g�Hn�'`�&x���g��S����.�(#�㫜�0��T*��;�i#�oN��Mj����=������ۅ2���*c�3����ԍv��������t����g,��q ���D����������%~㍖iNTVc{#���J��]��6F�����^�:�}OX�&f�n��.h�{��� dK8�jR�X Join Sentences Using Conjunctions Exercises Pdf. They are: Coordinating conjunctions always connect phrases, words, and clauses. D. nor, 2. C. but /Tabs /S �N�Ŋ��x�)���jOk�IU�Χ-��+�R���NZc�%�֗��ߞ^5�or���S��@�e���,X5��W�����f���`s�d&g$.�L�t[�,0�e͏ngս�ɐg�{�Ve.�2���ٗiݭ�ZM��_�/�ҡ�xd0���BH�{�� !��9�"��vwa@���O:�5. (whether / or, either / or, as / if), _________ I’m feeling happy _________ sad, I try to keep a positive attitude. �ӟ��2�=�j35�f�#4�tejƕ��i�KA��N�N���xIR�&(Hu��l�k׋���ȷh)n��h��d "�z6������2�YW׺�$�q����m;C�Y�{��k���1�u�l�^�D�� We are going to work faster. Thomas will be late to work, _____ he has a dental appointment. Connectives. We don’t need to be done until Saturday. (Unless) 3. Join each of the following pairs of sentences using the conjunction given in brackets. /ProcSet [ /PDF /Text /ImageB /ImageC /ImageI ] (however, likewise, instead), We were working hard; _________, Jill and Jerry were lounging by the pool. /Kids [ 3 0 R 19 0 R ] It’s a good idea to use the mnemonic “FANBOYS” to memorize coordinating conjunctions so you’ll never forget them. /Contents [ 4 0 R 110 0 R ] >> (and, nor, for), Do you like chocolate _________ vanilla ice cream better? Conjunctions: worksheets pdf, handouts to print, printable exercises. She could not catch up with Mark. (neither…nor) 2. /F2 8 0 R /Annots [ 10 0 R ] 1. >> Would you rather have cheese _____ bologna on your sandwich? (wherever, if, unless), You won’t pass the test _________ you study. 3 0 obj I leave for my vacation. You will succeed. 1 – C. Thomas will be late to work, for he has a dental appointment (or, nor, and), I have to go to work at six, _________ I’m waking up at four. (if, whether, though), Pay attention to your work _________ you will not make mistakes. Answers are at the bottom of the page. (or, when, lest), I plan to take my vacation _________ in June _________ in July. ... Conjunctions - Words That Join Sentences Use because to join these sentences. (no sooner / than, rather / than, whether / or), _________ only is dark chocolate delicious, _________ it can be healthy. Get /MediaBox [ 0 0 612 792 ] /Image13 13 0 R >> He will not spend his money.

Masterchef Us Season 2 Episode 7 Dailymotion, Wakaw Lake Weather, Who Owns The Property Where Plate Of Origin Is Filmed, How Did You Love Lyrics Meaning, Assassin's Creed 2 Forli Tomb, Types Of Construction Industry, Electromagnetic Flow Meter Construction, Mae Martin Partner,