Wherefore then should grief sadden and distort such blythe, such jocund, features as mine? All rights reserved | Email: [email protected], It's a nature poem in an age when nature poems are not fashionable; it employs the word "gay" in a sense which has been all but driven out of the language by its more vernacular denotation; and then it follows up with the word ", Italian for jocund, happy or jovial, Gioconda was a nickname for the sitter, a pun on the feminine form of her married name Giocondo and her disposition. His round, jocund face gleamed with sweat, his eyes bulged behind thick glasses. It was a sweet and jocund air, such as would make young people prone to run and skip. The balloons changed the sick little girl’s gloomy mood to a jocund one. 2. : As for my children, they, jocund in youth, delight in present existence. 8 sentence examples: 1. Her jocund character made her the most popular girl in the county. The lame cast aside their crutches, the blind regain their sight, the paralyzed are alert and nimble, the trampers of every species jig in turn, or altogether, shaking their rags unto the jocund tune; and where is there, But Eve is described as "jocund" and "blithe" only when she is intoxicated by the mortal fruit of the tree; and the note of gaiety that is heard faintly, like a distant echo, in the earlier poems, is never sounded again by. : An air of youth, and of jocund life, of zest and of mirthfulness came in with Jack, inevitably calling up smiles to meet him. And hornfoot Pan who plays on the pipe his jocund lays; I shall soon introduce you to my jocund friend, Mr. John Ballantyne of Trinity. , The soldiers were jocund as they stepped off the plane and into the arms of their waiting families. Jocund day stands tiptoe on the misty mountain tops. This website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website. Out of the age of gas lamps he glances back slightingly at the mirk and glimmer in which his ancestors wandered; his heart waxes jocund at the contrast; nor do his lips refrain from a stave, in the highest style of poetry, lauding progress and the golden mean. These cookies do not store any personal information. Thus with the thunder of artillery, with the animating sound of drum and trumpet, with the more persuasive music of impassioned words, with shoutings and with revelry, these jocund compeers, from the highest to the lowest, mingled into one by the alchemy of a common joy, chased the hours of that memorable night and gave strange welcome to the morn of May. , The jocund song put everyone in a happy frame of mind. Source null [3783] Neque enim populo Romano quidquam potest esse laetius, no man living so jocund, so merry as the people of Rome when they had plenty; but when they came to want, to be hunger-starved, neither shame, nor laws, nor arms, nor magistrates could keep them in obedience. He continued with an intentional slurring of words in what was obviously a self-effacing and jocund apology. If you have, you remember your teasing search for the principal word in the passage, -- how _day_ seemed a less likely key than _jocund_, and yet, as this was only an adjective, perhaps. , The patients at the nursing home always feel jocund after being visited by their family members. © 2020 UseEnglishWords.com. A second hourglass is found beside the lectern in the miniature studiolo, a particularly jocund play of temporal and spatial layering. The jocund song put everyone in a happy frame of mind. Sentence with the word jocund "Glad" is from the Greek word for laughter, and the word "jocund" comes from a Latin term signifying "pleasant. When Marijane arrived, she walked into the back dining room proud, offering a jocund greeting to those who had arrived before her. I know of fecund, jocund … Because Patrick was feeling quite jocund after drinking a few beers, he could not stop smiling. 2. It is nine of the clock on a still, bright November morning; but the bells of Bideford church are still ringing for the daily service two hours after the usual time; and instead of going soberly according to wont, cannot help breaking forth every five minutes into a jocund peal, and tumbling head over heels in ecstasies of joy. We use cookies on our website to give you the most relevant experience by remembering your preferences and repeat visits. 19. jocund in a sentence - Use "jocund" in a sentence 1. , Because James has such a jocund personality, he has been the parade Santa Claus for the last eight years. The tide of youthful glee flowed jocund from her heart, and the transparency of her fine blue veins almost shewed the velocity of its current. Over a city distracted by factions and civil broils, he saw the devils very jocund, blowing the fire of discord. Bowers the most jocund bacchanal of all; the operator boxed over his instrument against harm and slipped out; and. All that is jocund and sparkling , the brooks running. Source null; It was a sweet and jocund air, such as would make young people prone to run and skip. , With jocund steps, the defendant exited the courthouse after being found not guilty of all charges. 5. New York Fashion Week's candles are burnt out at Lincoln Center and jocund London stands tiptoe on the misty fashion fronts, but aptly named Circa Lounge's flame continues to burn bright. By clicking “Accept”, you consent to the use of ALL the cookies. For example: "the jocund" or "and jocund", Words that often come after jocund in sentences. Sentence Examples for jocund. It's a nature poem in an age when nature poems are not fashionable; it employs the word "gay" in a sense which has been all but driven out of the language by its more vernacular denotation; and then it follows up with the word "jocund," which it is safe to say is a word not one American student in 100 has ever heard. , $MMT = window.$MMT || {}; $MMT.cmd = $MMT.cmd || [];$MMT.cmd.push(function(){ $MMT.display.slots.push(["45ba4f61-76ac-4b3d-94d4-c9019d2ebe3c"]); }), $MMT = window.$MMT || {}; $MMT.cmd = $MMT.cmd || [];$MMT.cmd.push(function(){ $MMT.display.slots.push(["418b1e7b-a189-47b4-952a-43e52a926ad5"]); }), $MMT = window.$MMT || {}; $MMT.cmd = $MMT.cmd || [];$MMT.cmd.push(function(){ $MMT.display.slots.push(["9b588b9a-598a-47f4-bc83-ba2fd303e5df"]); }). He appeared to be about sixty-five, and the dignified aspect which he wore to a gazer at a distance became depreciated to jocund slyness upon nearer view, when the small type could be read between the leading lines. , Since Cara always appears to have a jocund outlook on life, she surprised everyone when she mentioned her battle with depression. , As soon as I walked towards the front door of the luxury hotel, a jocund doorman greeted me with a smile. His round, jocund face gleamed with sweat, his eyes bulged behind thick glasses. My bloodstream was rich with ingredients and I was happy, euphoric, and jocund. jocund definition: 1. in a happy mood 2. in a happy mood. Their hearts were jocund and sublime. And now, to punish me, she keeps afar her jocund band. Who could have observed his manner, taciturn, thoughtful, gloomy, shadowed by habitual reserve, retiring always and jocund never, with a distraught air of reverting to a bygone place and time, or of listening to some old echoes in his mind, but might have said it was the manner of a haunted man? In the jocund tide that sweeps dark and dusk away. As soon as I walked towards the front door of the luxury hotel, a jocund doorman greeted me with a smile. Words that often come before jocund in sentences. As soon as I walked towards the front door of the luxury hotel, a jocund doorman greeted me with a smile.

How To Celebrate First Night, Braising Temperature Celsius, From Dusk Till Dawn Transcript, Prism Tv Review Reddit, Rajya Sabha Election 2014, Xbox One Shell Case,