Tait pulled away and landed the chopper in a flat marshy area at the base of the hill. What they uncovered solved another family's 50-year-old mystery. The Camerons spent hours exploring the wreckage. After landing, the Camerons spent the first day following the river down the valley. The railroad track that had been used to transport the ore soon fell into disrepair and became the McCarthy road. They enjoyed their solitary lives, but each week they looked forward to gathering with their neighbors and socializing for an hour or two while they waited for the mail plane to arrive. Residents of the area were mostly stranded during the long winter of 1983, and they were dependent upon and looked forward to their Tuesday mail plane. The community is home to a hot spring and is the site of the now-closed Arctic Circle Hot Springs resort. Most of these people cherish their solitude, but they often must depend on each other to survive the long, cold winter. The water is opaque, filled with suspended glacier sediment. A father and daughter flying a small two-seater — thought to be an Aeronca Champion — from Montana to Juneau, Ak., had been reported overdue. Flo Hegland, 58, and Les, 64, had lived in McCarthy since 1967 and were considered the unofficial postmasters by area residents. I live in the midst of the world’s most concentrated population of huge brown bears, but bears are not what scares me most. In the end, the hockey game is … Inside the Heglands’ house, the troopers discovered the bodies of Les and Flo Hegland and their neighbor, Maxine Edwards, stacked in the bedroom. It’s actually hard to imagine.”. “Usually, nothing comes of it — but before you know it, you can change a family’s life.”. He immediately ducked his head and then felt an object hit his head. They were under the impression the crash had happened in Alaska. But it was time to hike back down to the helicopter. After 15 minutes, the helicopter crested a ridge, the ground dropped away and the wreckage came into view in the distance. The Camerons shared the Striffs’ story with Jamie Tait, a helicopter pilot they knew. The helicopter headed south, passing over rivers and Atlin Lake. Afterwards, Robert admitted he had spoken a few quiet words to his father. I live in the wilderness on Kodiak Island in Alaska, where my husband and I own a remote lodge, and the story I am about to tell you reflects my worst nightmare. All rights reserved. Jo, a well-known bush pilot and flight instructor had flown her plane to Anchorage and was waiting for the weather to improve before flying back to McCarthy, so she was not home that fateful day, but her husband had agreed to give Donna Byram, 32, a ride to the airstrip. But the idyllic waters hide hazards of their own. There are no roads or cars where I live, and no other human habitations within miles of my home, so the most frightening thing I can imagine would be to look out a window on a stormy, winter night and catch a glimpse of a human shadow running across the walk.

Bad Wolf Meaning, Break Three Days Grace Lyrics, Below Knee Shorts Womens, Types Of German Beer, Miller 64 Shortage, With Malice Toward None, With Charity For All Quote, The Levant Trilogy,