“I think he’s just a tremendous guy,” Grant said. But I think there’s some other things that Obi brings to the table that maybe other guys don’t offensively. A big-time athlete who can step in right away and make an impact on both ends. In a draft without many sure efficient scoring options, Toppin might be one of the best at self-creation against an NBA defense. I think they all maybe do some things really, really well that allowed them to be good as rookies. At 6-foot-9 with decent quickness and a good handle, Toppin could have the making of being a big wing with some creation ability at the NBA level, and that’s one of the most valuable skill sets you can have. Soweit der Artikel auch online be They met with Toppin, had conversations, and brought him to campus for a visit, where Flyers fans offered him their business cards and asked to take pictures. Player comps are flawed, but the two that stick out among current players are Lakers forward Kyle Kuzma (made by The Ringer’s Kevin O’Connor) and Hawks (made by ESPN’s Mike Schmitz). Obi Toppin of Dayton has been one of the 2020 NBA Draft’s biggest risers since the start of the season. Enter Obi Toppin. I think his ability to make that adjustment, how quickly can he make that adjustment and how well can he make that adjustment, I think for him and every other player that will get drafted, I think that’s a fair question. This is a recurrent theme, and with this problem, it’s hard to see Toppin operating successfully in two vital capacities — drop coverage in the pick-and-roll and switching against good shooting guards. Toppin was at the center of that success, averaging 20.0 points, 7.5 rebounds and 2.2 assists. The roster doesn’t have that ultra-athletic threat — Larry Nance Jr. is the closest thing to it probably — and it’ll be a need long-term. Toppin’s a late bloomer, the oldest top-10 prospect who bursts off the hardwood and seems ready to lift a franchise to new heights. “I think the key there is his ability to handle the things that were coming at him in a relatively short amount of time,” Grant said. The draft stock for Dayton power forward Obi Toppin soared last season. They’ve discussed everything, from dealing with the worldwide pandemic to the excitement surrounding draft night. Simply put, Toppin is a great college basketball player, built to succeed at this level. If they don’t, they’re still going to be talented. Suddenly, the view was beginning to shift and interest picked up. Heights that few others can actually reach. “Obviously, maybe some guys have demonstrated the ability to do that more consistently or better at their position. "There will be an adjustment that every rookie will have to make and those that make it the best, whether it’s offensively or defensively, they will put themselves in position. Toppin’s length and athleticism allow him to challenge shots. So, I think it’s fair to question his defense. But he is a much more reactive than proactive passer at this point, and misses open looks in favor of trying to create shots for himself, especially out of post-ups and double-teams. He declared, but didn’t hire an agent, keeping open the possibility of returning to Dayton, where he had a starting spot reserved. Those other games stopped. He chose Dayton over Georgetown, Rhode Island, Georgia, Texas A&M, Minnesota, and Texas Tech. I think when you look at it realistically, everyone wants the perfect player or the perfect whatever, but at the end of the day there’s no perfect guy out there.”. But he’s been in college three years and his maturity, game, IQ makes him ready to help a team right away. It would also mean Toppin can defend on the perimeter more than expected, or that he’d be playing with personnel that allows him to play outside offensively and more inside defensively. Obadiah’s son, who often attended those games as a youngster, was trying to make his own name. But in the NBA nowadays you see teams going to small-ball, so I think it depends on the organization that gets him, their philosophy, their style of play, what they have on the roster and how they feel they can best utilize him. There are significant limiting factors to Toppin’s potential usefulness at the NBA level, which may limit not just his ceiling but his ability to put his scoring skills to use. Hey, Chris! He averaged 17 points, eight rebounds and four assists. Collins has a more similar frame to Toppin — both are 6’9” with Collins weighing in at 235 pounds and Toppin as 220. Discussion of Toppin in this light somewhat misses the trees for the forest, so to speak. I don’t think it’s going to be a matter of effort from Obi. At 22, he’s mature but also carries a childlike joy -- traits that should help him in the sometimes-unforgiving NBA. Toppin grew again, from 6-5 to 6-8 with more than 20 pounds added from high school. Where the comparison falls apart, though, is thinking about Toppin as a lob threat and pick-and-roll/pick-and-pop tool. Right now, it’s still really about building a foundation vs. building on top of an existing one. It’s now the foundation of his game, making up over 25% of his made shots as a sophomore, averaging nearly three per game. That’s the same conundrum NBA teams face. It’s not for Kuzma either; 19.8% of his shot attempts come in transition and 28% as a spot-up shooter vs. a mere 9.6% in isolation, per nba.com/stats. Various members of the Cleveland front office spent plenty of time on Dayton’s campus this past season, watching Toppin practice and taking in a few games. “I saw a guy with a lot of potential,” Grant told cleveland.com in a phone interview. Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement, Privacy Policy and Cookie Statement, and Your California Privacy Rights (each updated 1/1/20). “He’s the most polished player in this draft," one NBA executive told cleveland.com. His first dunk that day: A full windmill, his chin hovering above the rim he was about to punish. That was in 2017, shortly after Grant took over at Dayton following two years as an NBA assistant coach with the Oklahoma City Thunder. Broad jump: Obi Melifonwu, S, Connecticut. Still, Grant has been asked frequently about the one weakness. There were four games going when Toppin strolled into the gym. The notoriety hasn’t changed his humility. There’s an argument for viewing Toppin in that light if he’s something like who he’s expected to be and his offense is as good as advertised. “Like everybody, guys are trying to do their homework and figure out what is the best move for their individual organization. He finished with 190 of those in two years at Dayton, a program record. Not only able to take the simple stuff from the defense, it looks like with refinement of his shooting mechanics, Toppin should be able to command a good usage at the NBA level. I don’t think it’s going to be a major issue, especially if he’s a guy that is there at 5 and you believe offensively he can be an above-average offensive player, which I think he can be. “I know it was a three-year process, but there’s no such thing as an overnight success. His 3-point shooting is one concern; he’s hitting an acceptable rate at 36.4 percent on 66 total attempts, but he doesn’t show much off-movement shooting ability at this point, and he is prone to rushing shots when he gets opportunities to catch and shoot. His handle is well developed for a player of his size, and getting to the rim really isn’t an issue for him. He worked with strength coach Casey Cathrall, chugging protein shakes and altering his diet. But after failing to qualify academically, Toppin’s plans were temporarily on hold. He opens car doors for women, introduces himself to strangers, says please and thank you and signs photos for fans even though he knows they will likely be sold. Toppin has some skills that suggest he could get to that level. Toppin is a great vertical athlete, but he struggles to change directions laterally, showing poor flexibility and footwork in defending on the perimeter. Collins takes 58% of his shots at the rim, per Cleaning The Glass. They saw the highlight-reel slams and smooth jumpers. Like father, like son. He even received the Dayton Spirit Award. The combination of those two things with a burgeoning 3-point shot and decent pull-up mechanics suggests a pretty solid scoring package for Toppin at the next level. He has spent the summer training and getting stronger, working with former NBA guard Rick Brunson at a gym owned by ex-Cavalier Dajuan Wagner in Cherry Hill, N.J. -- all while keeping that positive attitude in the face of so many unknowns, one of the traits those close to Toppin admire most. Defensively, Collins took a big leap, going from a clear negative to something close to neutral. The material on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with the prior written permission of Advance Local. Long and bouncy, with great hands, he’d toss the ball off the backboard and spin around before dunking. He’s probably the second-most polished college scorer among non-point guards behind Anthony Edwards, and if things click for him, there’s a potential that he tops out as a second or third scorer — a pretty good proposition for this draft. It’ll require some lineup creativity (and probably trial and error) for J.B. Bickerstaff to utilize Toppin as cleanly as possible. Subscribe to cleveland.com. He was the program’s first All-American since Jim Paxson in 1979. Most years, Toppin would have already played in summer league, completed his first NBA training camp and made his debut. Powered by Minute Media © 2020 All Rights Reserved. Kuzma, per nba.com/stats, only had 3.3% of his possessions as a roll man. I think that’s a kid who could end up being the best player in this draft.”. Toppin’s other offensive swing skills are also potential limits on his effectiveness. It’s certainly an option, one that has a clear downside. All eyes were on Toppin. More than an explosive leaper, Toppin played in ball screens and was used on dribble handoffs. When he discussed his future with Grant that offseason, they both decided another year at Dayton would be best. His pick-and-roll ability also fits in here. Toppin is an intriguing prospect because of his scoring skills.

Feel Good Romantic Korean Movies, Temple Of God, State Pension Ireland 2019, Annuity Suitability Requirements By State, Opposite Of Merger In Business,