All those I’ve mentioned were quintessential outsiders. He lives in Nyack, New York. I am very happy. He was awarded a 2012 National Endowment for the Arts Literature Fellowship for Translation, the 2010 Helen and Kurt Wolff Translator’s Prize for his rendering of Michael Maar’s Speak, Nabokov, and a commendation from the judges of the 2012 Schlegel-Tieck Prize for his translation of Thomas Pletzinger’s Funeral for a Dog. Copyright (c) 2020 The Nation Company LLC. Ross Benjamin is a translator of German-language literature living in Nyack, New York. I translate Monday through Friday, taking evenings and weekends off. He was a 2003-2004 Fulbright Scholar in Berlin and is a graduate of Vassar College. I decided to learn German in college because I wanted to read Nietzsche in the original – not to mention Hölderlin, Benjamin, Kafka, Roth, Celan, and the list goes on and on. And if I initially learned German in order to escape translations, to read these writers in their native tongue, it was perhaps inevitable that I would ultimately come full circle, becoming a translator myself and seeking to expand the limits of my own language to make room for their genius. He has written for the Times Literary Supplement, The Nation, etc. His translations include Friedrich Hölderlin's Hyperion (Archipelago Books), Kevin Vennemann's Close to Jedenew (Melville House), Thomas Pletzinger's Funeral for a Dog (W.W. Norton & Co.), and Joseph Roth's Job (Archipelago). His literary criticism has appeared in The Times Literary Supplement, Bookforum, The Nation, and other publications. He has won the Helen and Kurt Wolff Translator's Prize for Michael Maar's Speak, Nabokov and received a commendation from the judges of the Schlegel-Tieck Prize for Thomas Pletzinger's Funeral for a Dog. Ross Benjamin is a translator of German-language literature living in Nyack, New York. Ross Benjamin. Ross Benjamin is a translator of German-language literature and a writer living in Nyack, New York. Ross Benjamin is a translator of German-language literature living in Nyack, New York. They went against the grain of their culture’s expectations, definitions, and categorizations. You may unsubscribe or adjust your preferences at any time. We caught up with author Daniel Kehlmann and translator Ross Benjamin about longlisted book Tyll, the joys of working with such a mischievous character and the accidental parallels Kehlmann drew between today's society and medieval German mythology. For more information, visit our Privacy PolicyX. [3] He has won the Helen and Kurt Wolff Translator's Prize for Michael Maar's Speak, Nabokov and received a commendation from the judges of the Schlegel-Tieck Prize for Thomas Pletzinger's Funeral for a Dog. By signing up to receive emails, you agree to receive occasional promotional offers for programs that support The Nation's journalism. Words without Borders opens doors to international exchange through translation, publication, and promotion of the best international literature. His work has also appeared in Bookforum, The Times Literary Supplement, the New York Times, and other publications. In the first book I translated, Friedrich Hölderlin’s late-eighteenth-century novel, Regular doses of caffeine are essential: coffee in the morning, Earl Grey with a teaspoon of sugar and a slice of lemon in the afternoon. Ross M. Benjamin is a New York based writer and translator of German literature. You can read our Privacy Policy here. Ross Benjamin is an American translator of German literature and a 2015 Guggenheim Fellow. His previous translations include Friedrich Hölderlin’s Hyperion, Kevin Vennemann’s Close to Jedenew, Joseph Roth’s Job, and Clemens J. Setz’s Indigo. He is a graduate of Vassar College and a former Fulbright scholar. Daniel Kehlmann What has it been like to be longlisted? He was a 2003-2004 Fulbright Scholar in Berlin. His translations include Friedrich Hölderlin’s Hyperion (Archipelago Books, 2008), Kevin Vennemann’s Close to Jedenew (Melville House, 2008), Joseph Roth's Job (Archipelago, 2010), and Clemens J. Setz's Indigo (Liveright/Norton, 2014). read his work » translations » essays and literary criticism » press » forthcoming. His website is www.rossmbenjamin.com. It always takes place between a translator and the original author. A major reason for this unimaginative embrace of the conventional American workweek is the importance of, Very apt metaphors from the performing arts have already come up in other interviews in this series: a pianist interpreting a sonata, an actor feeling his or her way into a role. Tyll (and its English translation) has been shortlisted for the 2020 International Booker Prize. Every month we publish select prose and poetry on our site. Ross Benjamin, a former Nation intern, is a writer and a translator of German literature living in Brooklyn. Ross Benjamin is an American translator of German literature [1][2] and a 2015 Guggenheim Fellow. He received a 2015 Guggenheim Fellowship for his work on the first English translation of Franz Kafka’s complete, unexpurgated Diaries, to be published by Liveright/Norton.

Horse Accessories Brands, Masterchef Us Season 2 Episode 7 Dailymotion, Harmful Effects Of Microwaves, Choice Furniture Superstore Discount Code, Thich Nhat Hanh Books Mindfulness,