Even the remake of the Traffic tune - Low Spark of High Heeled Boys - is just so, so (its more of an acoustic version, and would probably be okay if you were not familiar with the original version). But their relationship is purely transactional: J.J. needs Sidney to undue his sister’s love affair with a jazz player, and Sidney needs J.J. to give his talent space in the nationally read column. I can't believe there hasn't been a remake. Now, I’ve seen the film probably fix to six times. There's a problem loading this menu right now. What is yours? That’s not a knock on the film. Those who live in this space are morally repugnant, devoid of all that is good and filled with all that is evil. How many times have you seen it? You’ve got gumption kid. It’s a different kind of power that a columnist or website can wield, but with the ugliness of internet rumors and foolishness of annoyed fan bases (Marvel vs. D.C., Ghostbusters pre-hate) there’s something there. But the sexual bargains that are sealed are certainly not subtly referenced. Celebrate Black Wednesday (February 14, 2003). But at the same token, very impressive to simply ignore my request. It absolutely was the way things were, and seeing this world through the eyes of a publicist is wonderful. Jake Gyllenhaal would make an amazing J.J. since he’s willing to do anything for a quality performance. Laughter. None of these moments are necessarily enjoyable to sit through, but at least J.J. and Sidney are part of the problem with the way these women are treated. Your due date is June 30, 2016. Curtis’ character wants nothing more than to be part of it. Thankfully, at this point in my life, I don’t care. To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don’t use a simple average. Hustling and bustling. A film about a powerful newspaper columnist seems far-fetched now seeing how print is dying or already dead depending on who you ask. Fragoso responds:I saw first the film because this wonderful blogger named Anna sent it to me (s/o to Anna for sending a Criterion via UPS). Also, I’m thrilled that now I get to do it all by myself. He was Darrin’s boss, Larry. New York City newspaper writer J.J. Hunsecker holds considerable sway over public opinion with his Broadway column, but one thing that he can't control is his younger sister, Susan, who is in a relationship with aspiring jazz guitarist Steve Dallas. Movies Podcasts Reviews Forums Lists Box Office Quizzes Podcasts Reviews Forums Lists Box Office Quizzes Because, you know, that’s what women did in the ’50s. Sweet Smell of Success (1957) is an acerbic, dynamic and intense film that exposes the diseased under-side of New York City's glamorous night life, revealing brutality, capriciousness, greed, evil, psychological violence, corrupt American ambition, betrayal and cynicism. OK, let’s remake this film. Turns out, the surprise is that Sweet Smell of Success is not a musical. What is astonishing is how dark, cynical, and overtly sexual the film seems even today in light of its release in the late 1950s. Now for some random thoughts and questions …. Priests or elementary school teachers. The film takes place over the course of a single night and the following day. The deceptively simple story follows Sidney Falco (Tony Curtis), a calculating publicist who will stop at nothing to make a name for himself (and his dwindling clientele). 25 Things We Learned from Bong Joon-ho’s ‘Parasite’ Commentary, From Talkies to Light Corruption: The Rise and Fall of Fox Studios, ‘A Teacher’ Flips the Script on a Familiar Story, Take a ‘Detour’ this Noirvember and Shed Yourself of Pity, ‘Mank’ Celebrates Both the Writers and the Words, ‘Jaws’ and Genre: The Horror of an Unseen Threat, ‘The Mandalorian’ Chapter 10 Slows to a Delicious Crawl. Reviewed in the United States on July 25, 2012. It was adapted into a musical about 40 years later, with John Lithgow eventually winning a Tony. Watching director Alexander Mackendrick’s masterpiece now, I see it dangling in the distance, jazzy and undulating, simultaneously satirizing and exploring the pursuit of success. In this one sequence (and throughout the movie, really) Sweet Smell of Success is horrifying to unlatch, unfurl. 10 Suggestions for Reopening Gyms in NY State. There are plenty of film noirs that are essential viewing, but few manage to unearth the bottom of the barrel like this one. Your recently viewed items and featured recommendations, Select the department you want to search in. After viewing product detail pages, look here to find an easy way to navigate back to pages you are interested in. She’s probably the strongest women in the film. There is a flaw in the film, and that’s time. Of these, three tracks are demos recorded in Brazil in 1979. He drew attention to the importance of words in the movie: “Sweet Smell of Success is about Clifford Odets’ words--a torrent of them, so caustic and acerbic and insanely funny that you’ll be quoting them for the rest of your life” (after which he quoted quite a few of them). Lancaster is screwing him over, but his assistant can’t understand why. There are hints about her past, and Sidney has no problem telling her that her only choice to maintain a job is to sleep with a guy. Also, after Lancaster and Curtis, we get “Introducing Susan Harrison,” which for studios means, “We’re trying to make this girl a star!” While she definitely went on to be a working actress, “star” never happened. as Lt. Harry Kello and get this thing in production. Watching the film on the big-screen was illuminating. I recently programmed a “Mad Men” series at the Roxie Theater with Matt Seitz where Sweet Smell of Success screened. The overall cast is great, with every side character nailing their part. I like that I can hate everyone. That would have made this movie even better, but instead she just grows disappointed in the man. Please try again. Sally (Jeff Donnell) is Sidney’s secretary, and she’s desperate for his attention and seems like she’d be willing to kill for him. When did you first see this film? The film depicts the types of people who will do anything - anything - to advance or aggrandize themselves and whose only purpose in life is to, well, advance or aggrandize themselves. J.J. on the other hand simply doesn’t want anyone to know his fingers are all over the break up, even though everyone can see it’s so. In order to navigate out of this carousel please use your heading shortcut key to navigate to the next or previous heading.

By Your Side Meaning, Gaming Sponsorships Ps4, Vyvanse Circulation Problems, China Gwangju 2019 World Aquatics Championships, Gordon Ramsay Children Ages, How To Get Drunk Faster Without Drinking A Lot, Flour Bakery Banana Bread, Good Morning Mattress Canada, Steve Howe Stats,