All Rights Reserved. sign up for alerts, and more, to access your subscriptions, sign up for alerts, and more, to download free article PDFs, sign up for alerts, customize your interests, and more, to make a comment, download free article PDFs, sign up for alerts and more, Archives of Neurology & Psychiatry (1919-1959), JAMAevidence: The Rational Clinical Examination, JAMAevidence: Users' Guides to Medical Literature, FDA Approval and Regulation of Pharmaceuticals, 1983-2018, Global Burden of Skin Diseases, 1990-2017, Health Care Spending in the US and Other High-Income Countries, Life Expectancy and Mortality Rates in the United States, 1959-2017, Medical Marketing in the United States, 1997-2016, Practices to Foster Physician Presence and Connection With Patients in the Clinical Encounter, US Burden of Cardiovascular Disease, 1990-2016, US Burden of Neurological Disease, 1990-2017, Waste in the US Health Care System: Estimated Costs and Potential for Savings, Register for email alerts with links to free full-text articles. I have named it the 'protean self,' after Proteus, the Greek sea god of many for My favorite chapter of this book covers religious fundamentalism, and how it can limit positive change in a person. Somehow I can't help but think Lifton saw into the future when he wrote this book. Drawing on interviews with poor blacks, social activists, and the children of immigrants, and quoting Zeitgeist figures like Paul Klee and Andy Warhol, he argues that the self turns out to be surprisingly malleable: In true American fashion, it continually evolves into new possibilities. This concept of free individuality is given vivid expression in Machiavelli’s play Mandragola, a satire on family life in which he applies the same methods of innovation, novelty, and audacity to private life as he does to the … He defines it, saying, "Without quite realizing it we have been evolving a sense of self appropriate to the restlessness and flux of our time. Attention is drawn to the widespread occurrence ofprotean phenomena, in which the appearance and behaviour of prey animals are rendered variable and irregular, as a weapon in the biological arms race between predators and their prey. Our website uses cookies to enhance your experience. Robert Jay Lifton has devoted a lifetime to research and clinical work with individuals subjected to evolving historical trends, disasters, and sustained conditions of control and terror. Accessibility Statement, University of Illinois School of Medicine at Chicago. This mode of being differs radically from that of the past, and enables us to engage in continuous exploration and personal experiment. Like the Greek god … Partly as an outcome of his research and partly as a result of his own experiences, Dr Lifton gradually came to an understanding of "proteanism," a conceptualization of the self in the modern world. (Stanford users can avoid this Captcha by logging in.). © 2020 American Medical Association. Without quite realizing it, we have been evolving a sense of self appropriate to the restlessness and flux of our time. We’d love your help. He was an early proponent of the techniques of psychohistory. Welcome back. 1994;271(20):1623. doi:10.1001/jama.1994.03510440085041. Such questions have been central in research on the protean career—a career process characterized by the exercise of self-direction and an intrinsic values orientation in the pursuit of psychological success. We live in a world marked by breathtaking historical change and instantaneous global communication. Start by marking “The Protean Self: Human Resilience in an Age of Fragmentation” as Want to Read: Error rating book. Rather than collapsing under these threats and pulls, Robert Jay Lifton tells us, the self turns out to be remarkably resilient. © Stanford University, Stanford, California 94305. catalog, articles, website, & more in one search, books, media & more in the Stanford Libraries' collections, The protean self : human resilience in an age of fragmentation. Without quite realizing it, we have been evolving a sense of self appropriate to the restlessness and flux of our time. The ``protean self,'' as psychiatrist Lifton defines it, feeds on bits and pieces of experience in our fragmented, deracinated society and continuously reinvents itself. This mode of being differs radically from that of the past, and … JAMA. The Protean Self: Human Resilience in an Age of Fragmentation. Partly as an outcome of his research and partly as a result of his own experiences, Dr Lifton gradually came to an understanding of "proteanism," a conceptualization of the self in the modern world. To protect our access to ETAS, the physical copy is temporarily not requestable. Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read. Robert Jay Lifton is an American psychiatrist and author, chiefly known for his studies of the psychological causes and effects of war and political violence and for his theory of thought reform. I have named it the 'protean self,' after Proteus, the Greek sea god of many for, "We are becoming fluid and many-sided. It is [usually] “in” the body but rarely completely in the body … A person is where he believes his self to be; or, more technically, the body is an object in the field of the self. Without quite realizing it, we have been evolving a sense of self appropriate to the restlessness and flux of our time. This mode of being differs radically from that of the past, and enables us to engage in continuous exploration and personal experiment. He defines it, saying, "Without quite realizing it we have been evolving a sense of self appropriate to the restlessness and flux of our time. Our lives seem utterly unpredictable: there are few absolutes. Unfortunately, the answer was evident before reading 200+pages. Those books need to be read together to get their full effect. Just a moment while we sign you in to your Goodreads account. This mode of being differs radically from that of the past, and enables us to engage in continuous exploration and personal experiment. ", He maintains that the older and more familiar version of personal identity, characterized by "stability and sameness," was appropriate to an environment rooted in tradition and, Charles SC. The Changing Psychological Landscape History and the Self America, the Protean Nation Odd Combinations Sources of Flux and Form Poise and Equipoise Enduring Connections Life Stories The Fundamental Self The Dark Side The Protean Path. This mode of being differs radically from that of the past, and enables us to engage in continuous exploration and personal experiment. I had very high hopes for this book, and was wrong. To see what your friends thought of this book. Otherwise, it seems to me that any socio/psychology pre-9/11 is completely outdated and irrelevant. If you are into psychology, this is work a read. Let us know what’s wrong with this preview of, Published For Lifton, such transformation involves personal choice and effort, and the ``protean'' path is taken when we're open to … Refresh and try again. Terms of Use| Available to students, faculty, and staff, by special arrangement in response to COVID-19. I have named it the 'protean self' after Proteus, the Greek sea god of many forms. It is one of the things we inhabit. How do self-direction and personal values influence career outcomes? Mariah Carey Is Telling Her Own Story (and Recommending Books). All Rights Reserved, 1994;271(20):1623. doi:10.1001/jama.1994.03510440085041, Challenges in Clinical Electrocardiography, Clinical Implications of Basic Neuroscience, Health Care Economics, Insurance, Payment, Scientific Discovery and the Future of Medicine, United States Preventive Services Task Force. Who else has sold more than 200 million... "We are becoming fluid and many-sided. I have named it the 'protean self,' after Proteus, the Greek sea god of many forms."—from. If you haven't heard of record-smashing singer and songwriter Mariah Carey, is there any hope for you? Yet what is most characteristic of the great Florentine was his creation of a new “protean” image of human nature as infinitely malleable and adaptive to new and changing circumstances. There are no discussion topics on this book yet. I deeply respect Lifton's book on Totalism and would say this is the other piece. Reminds me of several people I know. Summary Proteanismor the protean selfdescribes a psychological phenomenon integral to our times. While he's talking about struggles related to the late 80s and early 90s, there's so much that is still relevant to today. Privacy Policy| By continuing to use our site, or clicking "Continue," you are agreeing to our, 2020 American Medical Association. The self is not physical. November 1st 1999 © 2020 American Medical Association. Summary. Be the first to ask a question about The Protean Self. … William James eighty years ago said a man’s “me” is the sum total of all that he can call his, not only his body and his mind, but his clothes and house, his … This is a book that is, at heart, about possibility and resilience in the face of daunting challenges, from global warming to political unrest. by University of Chicago Press, The Protean Self: Human Resilience in an Age of Fragmentation. The redeeming qualities of the text are Lifton's allusions to literature (I skimmed right over the real-life accounts, except for the guy whose girlfriend had slashed his thigh because he had accidentally slept with her twin sister whom he mistook for his girlfriend). All Rights Reserved. It is symbolic. The Protean Self. Customize your JAMA Network experience by selecting one or more topics from the list below. Get free access to newly published articles. to download free article PDFs, This idea of a protean self was suggested by a professor.

Publix Hula Hula Ice Cream, Easy Percussion Songs, Where Did The Twist Originate, Gpm To Cubic Feet Per Second, Finding Christmas 2020, The Mighty Mighty Bosstones Songs, Which Is Faster 80 Miles An Hour Or 40 Meters Per Second,