real Chief Seattle did give a speech in 1854, but he never said “The earth is our mother.” Nor did he say “I have seen a thousand rotting buffaloes on the prairie, left by the white man who shot them from a passing train.” There were no bison within 600 miles of the chief’s home on Puget Sound in the Pacific Northwest, and trains to the West were years away. I keep hearing a voice that says, “Grieve not for me. Sir Richard Branson’s Virgin Galactic spruiks a company view that humanity’s challenges lie in “better use of space”. These are days of tears; Mist from souls of friendship. Farewell to the mountains high cover’d with snow; Farewell to the straths and green valleys below; Farewell to the forests and wild-hanging woods; Farewell to the torrents and loud-pouring floods. The good life I lived while I was strong. - Benjamin Franklin, "Then his lord, after that he had called him,…, "Then his lord, after that he had called him, said unto him, O thou wicked servant, I forgave thee all that debt, because thou desiredst me: / Shouldest not thou also have had compassion on thy fellowservant, even as I had pity on thee? little thought we ‘t was our last! if I were sullenWhile Earth herself is adorningThis sweet May-morning;And the children are cullingOn every sideIn a thousand valleys far and wideFresh flowers; while the sun shines warm,And the babe leaps up on his mother’s arm:—I hear, I hear, with joy I hear!—But there’s a tree, of many, one,A single field which I have look’d upon,Both of them speak of something that is gone:The pansy at my feetDoth the same tale repeat:Whither is fled the visionary gleam?Where is it now, the glory and the dream? Come then, pure hands, and bear the headThat sleeps or wears the mask of sleep,And come, whatever loves to weep,And hear the ritual of the dead. In the near future, a group of scientists living in a space ship wake up from a hibernation state and come back to an apocalyptic Earth. They are not dead; Their memory is warm in our hearts, Comfort in our sorrow. Fear no more the lightning flashNor the all-dreaded thunder-stone;Fear not slander, censure rash;Thou hast finished joy and moan:All lovers young, all lovers mustConsign to thee, and come to dust. He has reflected, with scepticism, on Margaret Thatcher’s commitment to reducing CFCs. So I said to the Lord, “You promised me Lord, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. In the movie, however, the disease is caused by solar flares. II held it truth, with him who singsTo one clear harp in divers tones,That men may rise on stepping-stonesOf their dead selves to higher things. They are the sons and daughters of Life’s longing for itself. All things are connected. We twa hae paidl’d in the burn,frae morning sun till dine;But seas between us braid hae roar’dsin’ auld lang syne. But it will not be easy. When you sit at the feast,And are wanting a great song for Italy free,Let none look at me! Sonnets are full of love, and this my tomeHas many sonnets: so here now shall beOne sonnet more, a love sonnet, from meTo her whose heart is my heart’s quiet home,To my first Love, my Mother, on whose kneeI learnt love-lore that is not troublesome;Whose service is my special dignity,And she my lodestar while I go and come.And so because you love me, and becauseI love you, Mother, I have woven a wreathOf rhymes wherewith to crown your honored name:In you not fourscore years can dim the flameOf love, whose blessed glow transcends the lawsOf time and change and mortal life and death. Take up our quarrel with the foe:To you from failing hands we throwThe torch; be yours to hold it high.If ye break faith with us who dieWe shall not sleep, though poppies growIn Flanders fields. There is no death! Yet the novel ends with a weary indictment of society’s unwillingness to make environmental change: Too much money was involved, it simply wasn’t economical. I know that no flower, nor flint was in vain on the path I trod. And in my fleeting lifespan As time went rushing by, I found some time to hesitate, To laugh, to love, to cry. Just one little peek into heaven Is all I’m asking for today. All my life,Following Care along the dusty road,Have I looked back at loveliness and sighed;Yet at my hand an unrelenting handTugged ever, and I passed. I could not stay another day To laugh, to love, to work, to play. Once, at the wave of his wand, all the billows of musical sound Followed his will, as the sea was ruled by the prophet of old: Now that his hand is relaxed, and his rod has dropped to the ground, Silent and dark are the shores where the marvellous harmonies rolled! O Helen fair! A strange series of solar flares proves fatal for inhabitants of the Earth, except for the fortunate few who are somehow immune to the effects. This we know. I’m the roses in a garden. If you feel sad do think of me For that’s what I’ll like. And when we come in after years,With only tender April tearsOn cheeks once white with care,To look on treasures put awayDespairing on that far-off day,A subtle scent is there. The tragedy of life is not death, but what we let die inside us while we live. In a churchyard old and still,Where the breeze-touched branches thrillTo and fro,Giant oak trees blend their shadeO’er a sunken grave-mound, madeLong ago. The velvet ground beneath was gentle, and the cooling shade gave cheer to passers by. Though you cannot see or touch me, I’ll be near, And if you listen with your heart, you will hear, All of my love around you, soft and clear Then, when you must come this way alone, I will greet you with a smile, and a ‘welcome home’. I from my memory have effacedAll former joys, all kindred, friends;All honors that my station gracedI hold but snares that fortune sends:Hence! ’Tis ours to make this matter plain—That though our “Bobs” has gone,Though dust returns to dust again—His soul goes marching on. Magnanimous and pure his life,Tranquil its happy end;Patience and peace his handmaids were,Death an immortal friend.For him no monuments need rise,No laurels make his pall;The mem’ry of the good and wiseOutshines, outlives them all. Nor speak of me with tears. How 19th century fairy tales expressed anxieties about ecological devastation, Ben Elton's wrong – TV sitcoms aren't dead, they've just changed since his day, fiction writers in the ecocritical tradition, Five must-read novels on the environment and climate crisis. Day is for mortal care,Eve for glad meetings round the joyous hearth,Night for the dreams of sleep, the voice of prayer—But all for thee, thou mightiest of the earth. Elegant and curled Is the blossom. His appetite will devour the Earth and leave behind only a desert. Clouds will separate us —the time to part has come now.Wild goose flies away…. So do not for me grieve and weep I did not leave, I only sleep I am with the soil here below Where I can nourish life of beauty and glow. First, his depiction of environmental destruction. Ye blesséd Creatures, I have heard the callYe to each other make; I seeThe heavens laugh with you in your jubilee;My heart is at your festival,My head hath its coronal,The fulness of your bliss, I feel—I feel it all.O evil day! In earth or fireThey are gone. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. Which weep the comrade of my choice,An awful thought, a life removed,The human-hearted man I loved,A Spirit, not a breathing voice. Where is the Eagle? To see a world in a grain of sand And a heaven in a wild flower Hold infinity in the palm of your hand And eternity in an hour.

Icd-10 Code For Spinal Muscular Atrophy Type 2, Consonant Blends Games, 100 Chicken Recipes, I'd Love To Change The World Tab, Principles Of Feminism, 7 Ways: Easy Ideas For Every Day Of The Week,