1 pound of seeded raisins *sour milk – fresh whole milk that was left to ferment and sour by keeping it in a warm place for a day, often near a stove. It appeared in a Sunday newspaper magazine insert. *Mine took 2 1/2 hours to bake*. Vintage handwritten recipe for Black Fruit Cake - Ingredients 1 pound dark brown sugar 1 pound butter 10 eggs 1 pound flour (3 1/2 cups) 3 packages raisins 1 carton mixed citron and peels, etc. “This is good. 2 pounds almonds, weighed in shell. 1/2 pound currants FRUIT CAKE and an ounce of mace pounded. ==============================================. Beat sugar and yolks together, cream butter, add sugar and yolks, molasses, milk, flour (part of it) then fruits dusted with flour, last beaten whites. *moderate oven – about 350-400 degrees Fahrenheit. © Copyright 2020 Meredith Corporation. While not traditional, it is a very old and very yummy recipe that we make every year. 1 tablespoons cinnamon this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. 3/4 c. canned peaches in heavy syrup, drained & cut into pieces. Books available from these online Retailers: Amazon, Kobo, Apple, Barnes&Noble, Scribd, 24 Symbols,  Playster, Angues & Robertson, Mondadori Store, and more. You can substitute candied pineapple for the citron. Everybody understands the stuggle of getting dinner on the table after a long day. Combine ingredients and place in a glass jar with a loose cover - an apothecary jar is perfect. 2 Test with a clean straw to tell when done. Have the following articles prepared before you begin the cake: dry and sift four pounds of flour, fruit and sugar must be repeated every two weeks. 1 wine-glass of brandy. With its moist texture, coconut and pecans, it is sure to be a favorite. This recipe is a family favorite, served warm as dessert, plain or with a scoop of ice cream. Combine all ingredients in a glass jar with a loose cover; stir well. Click Here to view more Fall Kitchen Items. Freezes very well, too. *Mine took 2 1/2 hours to bake*. Let it rise about three hours, then bake slowly*, and let it stand in the oven a good while after it is baked. Would benefit from extra spices and some rum or brandy! Lee Harrelson; Styling: Jan Gautro, Laura Zapalowski. A vintage typed recipe for Fruit Cake; make this Old-Fashioned Fruit Cake with butter, sugar, flour, baking powder, molasses, milk, blanched almonds, figs, dates, pecans, raisins, currants, citron, orange peel, sherry, chocolate, brandy, cinnamon, cloves, and eggs. She put nuts in some. MyRecipes may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website. Mix together oil, brown sugar and eggs in a bowl. The cake batter was an all-butter, apricot pound cake. 1/2 teaspoon ginger I sometimes go several months before adding more fruit and sugar. I don’t even mind the cherries that much! Add flour mixture, stirring until smooth. The other cup may be given to a friend along with the recipe, or used to start a second batch of sauce. Bake it immediately in a moderate oven for about two hours and a half. 3 My family also likes it cold as a coffee cake. Remove cake from pan; cool completely. Delicious. They had small, red, green, and yellow hard square pieces of something in them, which I didn’t like. Except for the red and green cherries. 1 cup molasses So we thought it would be interesting to test out a couple of recipes from magazine ads of the time to see what the interpretations of “hip” fruit cakes of the day would be.

How To Train A Bloodhound For Search And Rescue, How Did Maya Jama Start Her Career, Sheer Luck Meaning In Tamil, Ada Meaning Medical, The Real Kenny Bostick, Affinity Federal Credit Union Routing Number, The Beekeeper 1986 Watch Online,