Obviously she did not desire a conventional life. 'Vivienne' or 'Vivian'...but what is known is 'Maier' was a superb artist and photographer. Fascinating documentary that is actually two stories in the film. But I found this interesting and would watch it again. The second is about the person who discovered her photographic archives and his quest to find out who Maier was. The DVD itself doesn't have much in the way of extras. Overall I prefer "Finding Vivian Maier", although it's sad to think she was so alone toward the end of her life. It is not unsparing in detailing her downward spiral near the end of her life, but it offers a broader and more believable portrait of this solitary street photographer. Fascinating documentary that is actually two stories in the film. What is the Stephen Hawking quote "quiet people have the loudest minds". A look at art and … My conclusion is that, sharing the photos would mean someone else could judge them or her. Vivian Maier's collection of prints negatives and undeveloped film represents the artistic discovery of the 21st-century. Quickly browse titles in our catalog based on the ones you have picked. Reviewed in the United States on June 6, 2020. I felt very grateful to find this film. Top subscription boxes – right to your door, © 1996-2020, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. It was definitely risky for a woman to take her camera into the toughest neighborhoods of Chicago and New York. But I can see how some viewers will be turned off by her less-than-warm personality. Heads up to those of you who use Netflix: the acclaimed documentary “Finding Vivian Maier” is now available on the streaming service. One can only wonder if she would have embraced the attention and appreciation of her photographic work had it been seen during her life. The purchase of a storage locker leads a man to uncover mysterious photographs, resulting in the astounding discovery of one of the 20th century's greatest artists. In case you haven’t been following the Vivian Maier … She accomplished this with her shy demeanor which belied the aggressive artist beneath. WETA Around Town panelists discuss the documentary Finding Vivian Maier. Interviews with various people who knew her. His producing credits include the Academy Award-winning Bowling for Columbine (02), and Religulous (08). And what about John Maloof? That she did not even care as much about the printed photo as the permission she gave herself to invade the space of others with her camera. Like a blues musician sings about the pain of life to deal with his own pain, I believe she used photography to deal with her own pain in the same way. See this Vivian Maier film if you have to choose. Watch the trailer and film clips highlighting the story of the movie that Siskel shares in this uncensored full episode of BYOD, hosted by Ondi Timoner.FILM AND GUEST INFO:Finding Vivian Maier is the critically acclaimed documentary about a mysterious nanny, who secretly took over 100,000 photographs that were hidden in storage lockers and, discovered decades later, is now among the 20th century’s greatest photographers. There's both a mystery to be unraveled and wonderful photographs from a … There's a problem loading this menu right now. Reviewed in the United States on August 18, 2015. The second is about the person who discovered her photographic archives and his quest to find out who Maier was. I've read just a little information concerning the current lawsuits around her estate and work; sad and complicated situation. It's better! Not as essential as "Finding Vivian Maier", this serves better as a companion piece to that documentary. From there, it would eventually impact the world over and change the life of the man who championed her work and brought it to the public eye, John Maloof.Charlie Siskel is a television and film producer. Reviewed in the United States on February 1, 2015. The mysterious Nanny with a secret talent, Reviewed in the United Kingdom on June 26, 2015. Highly recommended for this who like folk art, photography, and seeing how an unknown treasure was lost and how its story is pieced together. The camera gave her permission to be bold and intrusive in a way that delivered gold in the images she left the world. Unlike many of the families she was employed by. It premiered in the Documentaries section at the 38th Toronto International Film Festival in 2013, was screened in the Panorama section at the 64th Berlin International Film Festival in 2014 and is an American production which was shot on locations in America, France and England. Instead, our system considers things like how recent a review is and if the reviewer bought the item on Amazon. Instead, our system considers things like how recent a review is and if the reviewer bought the item on Amazon. There's a problem loading this menu right now. Quickly browse titles in our catalog based on the ones you have picked. What an interesting and passionate person. That would explain her outbursts, hoarding tendencies, her overall odd, otherwise unexplainable behavior that people didn't understand. Hard to imagine anyone taking so many photos and then never sharing or even developing them but that is what she did. This film follows the author as he tries to find out who Vivian Maier was. What a gem of a film. Reviewed in the United States on September 17, 2017. Reviewed in the United States on July 16, 2014. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on January 10, 2016. Uncover the story behind the woman behind the camera in this fascinating doc that chronicles the life of a street photographer who remained unknown until after her death, when thousands of negatives were discovered. Travelling or based outside United States? I'd love to hear more about how his life has been changed by finding Vivian. The main film looks and sounds good given the documentary style of the original film. Travelling or based outside United States? You can stream it on Amazon. That's not the case in this BBC film which offers a view of her as a young woman who graced the life of young children enough that two of them paid for her rental in retirement.

Assassin's Creed Origins Latest Version, Weber River Fishing Report Dwr, A Most Beautiful Thing Xfinity, Coffee Mate Creamer Tastes Bad, Cfa Institute Investment Foundations, Dillard's Daniel Green Slippers,