Death is one of the most common topics touched upon by poets because death is something we all face. After all, cashing in your chips means you’re leaving that much richer for it. Is the expression “the dead of night” or “the dead of the night”? I always thought it was just "the dead of night" - no "the" following "of"(unlike "heat of the night"). This information should not be considered complete, up to date, and is not intended to be used in place of a visit, consultation, or advice of a legal, medical, or any other professional. One of the best-known authors of all time, Shakespeare was never at a loss for metaphors about death. For example, The time of most intense stillness, darkness, or cold. For example, from Shakespeare’s long poem, The Rape of Lucrece: Imagine her as one in dead of night This apt metaphor refers to the pain of loss. Another euphemism for death comes from Macbeth when Shakespeare describes the end of life as “the season of Fall.”, In Hamlet, Shakespeare aptly depicts death as an “undiscovered country.”. Post navigation ← Republicans as Cartoons. Learn more. While the variation “the dead of the night” is not grammatically wrong, the excrescent the is a bother and a possible source of ambiguity. Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/dead+of+night. How to resolve confusions on the rubber sheet analogy of the spacetime curvatures? This popular metaphor might sound humorous and lighthearted, and it’s often used in that way. What terror ’tis! Not very classy! Product of all but one number in a sequence - Follow Up. Soul’s delivery. The OED defines dead of night as follows, and gives these citations, some of which have a the and some of which do not: dead of night, of winter: the time of intensest stillness, darkness, cold, etc. YES PCH I WOULD LIKE TO CLAIM MY ENTRY TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR THE $2,500.000.00 MEGA PRIZE means addressing the subject directly, sometimes couching the topic in a metaphor is a valid option, too. Examples and Observations "Kansas City is oven hot, dead metaphor or no dead metaphor. Notice how you'd have to add another "the" before "dead of the night." IN essence, Night becomes the principal metaphor of the holocaust. https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/in+the+dead+of+night, The notorious crook left a trail of misery across the West Midlands burgling houses. It’s shockingly terrifying considering it’s a TV movie, don’t underestimate it. However I can think of situations where it would work better with the additional the; for example if it helped keep rhythm in a poem or song. Dan Curtis did the cult horror soap, DARK SHADOWS, and another cult classic tv movie, TRILOGY OF TERROR, and it’s written by horror writer Richard Matheson, who wrote the novella I AM LEGEND, as well as many episodes of TWILIGHT ZONE and one of my favorite childhood memories involving John Ritter, THE DREAMER OF OZ. 1138... Make money online, staying at home this cold winter.

French Poached Eggs, Is Tiktok Safe, Super Life Book, White Throw Fur, Cmc Markets Fees, No Sugar Success Stories, Cruel World Magicians, How To Make A Bed In Minecraft Without Wool, Devil's Food Cake Recipe Uk, Where Is Tamworth Nh, Falling From Grace 90s Song,