And they also realize that this was a perfect storm of circumstances where his carelessness was certainly a determinative factor.". In March 2019, Sidhu was sentenced to eight years in prison. In court, Sidhu admitted he failed to stop at the intersection and pleaded guilty to a total of 29 counts of dangerous driving. Jaskirat Singh Sidhu was sentenced to eight years after pleading guilty to 29 counts of dangerous driving in the Humboldt Broncos bus crash that … With files from The Morning Edition, Jason Warick, and The Canadian Press, Audience Relations, CBC P.O. An immigration lawyer representing Jaskirat Singh Sidhu, the driver who caused the deadly Humboldt Broncos bus crash, says his client is fighting to stay in … crafters and producers - including one that sells cards for charity, 'We expect to see more positives': With dozens of cases and hundreds of close contacts, Sask. Jaskirat Singh Sidhu leaves his sentencing hearing Thursday, January 31, 2019 in Melfort, Sask. Sidhu is a permanent resident of Canada. Jaskirat Singh Sidhu was sentenced to eight years after pleading guilty to 29 counts of dangerous driving in the crash that killed 16 and injured 13 others. He made a momentary mistake, that any one of us could have made.”. Greene said Sidhu took a job as a truck driver to help fund his wife’s education to become a dental hygienist. A lot of people thought he could successfully appeal (the sentence), but he chose not to even challenge that.". Immigration lawyer Chris Veeman, who’s not involved in the case, said it’s likely Sidhu will get deported. "But there are a lot of people who believe in forgiveness. Box 500 Station A Toronto, ON Canada, M5W 1E6. If Sidhu does get deported it would be after serving his sentence. But somebody died, and that kind of thing happens.". But she doesn't think he deserves to be able to stay and carry on with a normal life after his sentence ends. So put all together, it's going to be an extremely difficult decision for an officer to make.". 'The worst thing I’ve ever experienced': Sask. Truck driver in Humboldt Broncos bus crash sentenced to 8 years in prison. But she doesn’t think he deserves to be able to stay and carry on with a normal life after his sentence ends. I feel terrible for his family and I don’t think he should be punished for the rest of his life, but I also don’t think he should be rewarded for his deeds.”, Read more: “Sidhu and his wife would like to be able to continue on the path they were on before this terrible tragedy — and that path includes being able to raise a family in Canada.”. He lived in Calgary and had been hired by a Calgary-based trucking company just three weeks before the crash. Jaskirat Singh Sidhu, accused of 29 counts of dangerous driving after a semi-truck collided with the Humboldt Broncos team bus on April 6, was released on … Under federal law, a permanent resident convicted of a crime that holds a maximum sentence of at least 10 years may be deported after serving their sentence. Closed Captioning and Described Video is available for many CBC shows offered on CBC Gem. Veeman said the Canada Border Services Agency may consider the following reasons for not moving forward with deportation: Veeman said Sidhu’s case is unique because of the of the amount of people impacted. However, Sidhu's lawyer, Michael Greene, is trying to make sure that doesn't happen. Owner of trucking company involved in Humboldt Broncos bus crash pleads guilty to safety charges. He forgave Sidhu in court and said he's kept in touch with Sidhu's wife while her husband has been in prison. "A lot of people thought it was too much, but he chose not to appeal it. “I think if people get to know more about Mr. Sidhu they’re realize he’s not a danger to our society. "I understand that for some people, there will never be enough of a punishment and there just can never be," Greene said. “It’s pretty black and white … It would be pretty hard for them not to move ahead in his particular case,” Veeman said. "It's twice as high as any sentence ever given for this offence.". Calgary-based immigration lawyer Michael Greene says Canada Border Services Agency needs to look at all the circumstances of Sidhu’s case in deciding whether to issue a deportation order. "I don't know specifically what he's been through in prison, but I know he's in a prison in his mind for sure. Greene also brought up the case of Saskatchewan Premier Scott Moe, who failed to stop at a rural intersection and hit another vehicle, killing 39-year-old Joanne Balog. Sidhu is currently serving an eight-year prison sentence. In her sentencing decision, Judge Inez Cardinal said Sidhu had many chances to stop before the collision. First Nation battles outbreak. David Shield is a web writer for CBC Saskatoon. "I would argue that there's 29 people who don't get to have a fresh, new life and because of his negligence — which is putting it lightly — it doesn't really lend itself to that," Straschnitzki told The Canadian Press. Jaskirat Singh Sidhu was travelling westbound on Highway 335 in a transport truck carrying two trailers loaded with peat moss, between 86 and 96 km/h. I know he struggles with this every day and he'll continue to no matter where he is.". "I think your own premier had that offence, and luckily he didn't hit a bus full of children. He forgave Sidhu in court and said he’s kept in touch with Sidhu’s wife while her husband has been in prison. “There’s very limited options to try and stop the removal.”. “I’m hoping that people in the public, just like the (border agency) officers, will be open to seeing the good in him,” Greene said Thursday.

The Source Heartland, Scary Movies To Watch With Your Crush, Jill Krop Leaving Global, Killing Aphids With Soapy Water, Adair Homes Duplex, Claddagh Ring For Sale, Top 300 Bbc Salaries, Waterlily Restaurant Marion, Va, Magicka 3 Ps4, Toni Kukoc Michael Jordan,