Loaned to Edward Small Productions when Frances Dee collapsed on the set of “My Son, My Son!” (1940), she killed herself again rather than ruin Brian Aherne’s life. Day’s first marriage was to singer turned airport executive, James Ray Hendricks in 1942. Laraine you were a great actress. During a break in her film career, Day co-starred on a national theater tour with Gregory Peck in "Angel Street," and also took the stage in "Lost Horizon," 'The Women" and "Time of the Cuckoo." ", "Laraine Day, 87; 'Dr. Ray Bradbury joined for a period of time in 1939, and she let him do some stage prop work and publicity. Day filed for divorce from Hendricks in December 1946. In 1946, Ms. Day had signed a contract at RKO for one picture a year for five years at a salary of $100,000 a movie, but only two films were made. In 1940, Alfred Hitchcock borrowed her to star with Joel McCrea in the spy thriller “Foreign Correspondent.” RKO had her play the virtuous society girl who reforms a draft-dodging, gambling ship owner (Cary Grant) in “Mr. Day starred opposite Joel McRea in 1940's "Foreign Correspondent" and also appeared in such films as "Mr. Lucky," "I Take This Woman," "The Story of Dr. Wassell," "My Dear Secretary" and "The High and the Mighty." Her roles for other studios were often far more stimulating than those MGM gave her, including a prominent supporting part in the Irish melodrama My Son, My Son! she was so beautiful! In the 1940s, she made guest appearances on radio in both Lux Radio Theatre and The Screen Guild Theater. Discover the real story, facts, and details of Laraine Day. [2][5], After a talent scout spotted her with the Long Beach Players, she signed a contract with Goldwyn studios, for which she made her cinematic debut. The performance led theater owners to pick her as an outstanding new actress, and Life magazine called her “a major young Hollywood personality.”, But she felt MGM ultimately failed her. - Laraine Day at BrainyQuote", "I think that Richard Nixon is a great man and that he is very dedicated to what he does. I enjoyed your performances and I wish you were still here. The couple adopted three children: Christopher, Angela and Michelle. She was a 1938 graduate of Polytechnic High School in Long Beach, California. [18] Day was granted an interlocutory divorce from Hendricks on January 20, 1947, which required her to wait one year before remarrying. [4][10] In 1941, she was voted the number one "star of tomorrow" in Hollywood. Memorial; Photos ; Flowers ; Actress. Explore Laraine Day's biography, personal life, family and cause of death. In 1939 she signed with MGM, and became popular and well-known (billed as Laraine Day) as “Nurse Mary Lamont”, the title character’s fiancee in a string of seven “Dr. By the time Mr. DeMille was planning “Dr. I loved her in her favorite role"The Locket" I just loved to see here bright beautiful eyes that went with the rest of her. [33], All film and television appearances come from Internet Movie Database (IMDb)[34] and Turner Classic Movies.[35]. In October 1960, Day appeared in the Nixon-Lodge Bumper Sticker Motorcade Campaign in Los Angeles along with Ginger Rogers, Cesar Romero, Irene Dunne, Dick Powell, Mary Pickford and John Payne. She married him in Texas, one day after being granted an interlocutory decree — a temporary court order, now seldom used — setting forth terms of divorce from her first husband, the singer Ray Hendricks, in California. According to her theory, all cancers are due to weakness of the immune system which must be cured by diet. Wassell,” Ms. Day had played a nurse, Mary Lamont, seven times in the “Dr. In 1951, Day became one of television's first female talk-show hosts in "The Laraine Day Show. Tarzan Finds a Son! LOS ANGELES - Laraine Day, who appeared in nearly 50 films including the Alfred Hitchcock thriller "Foreign Correspondent," has died. Day's first husband was singer Ray Hendricks. I consider myself lucky to have been his leading lady in The Bad Man and a short-subject reel and as a nation all together we are beyond fortunate to have the leadership of such fine people as the Reagans. She was paired opposite major film stars, including Lana Turner, Cary Grant, and John Wayne, and hosted a TV show alternately called Daydreaming With Laraine or The Laraine Day Show (1951). Upon returning to California, the judge who granted Day's interlocutory divorce from Hendricks stated that the Mexican divorce she received was not legal and, since she failed to wait the one-year period for her divorce to become final, deemed her Texas marriage illegal as well. Shelly Ryan. [21] She was also the host of Day With the Giants, a 15-minute television interview program broadcast before New York Giants home games. Kildare' film actress had love of baseball", "The Intuitive Thing: Ray Bradbury on the Arts", "Laraine Day, 'B+ Movie' Star, Dies at 87", "CUPID'S INFLUENCE ON THE FILM BOX-OFFICE", "WMGM Signs Laraine Day for Midnight Chatter", "Laraine Day, Husband Adopt Third Child, Boy", "Irate Husband Calls Curocher Love Thief", "Leo Durocher and Laraine Day Husband-Wife Team of 1952", "Salt Lake Mormon Tabernacle Choir Discography", "I am very much a Republican. Born: 13-Oct-1920 Birthplace: Roosevelt, UT Died: 10-Nov-2007 Location of death: Ivins, UT Cause of death: Natural Causes Remains: Buried, Forest Lawn Memorial Park, Hollywood Hills, CA. Copyright © 2007 The Associated Press. On March 7, 1961, Day married television producer Michael Grilikhes. Rich. Discover (and save!) I use WIKI 2 every day and almost forgot how the original Wikipedia looks like. The comic genius died aged 52 in 2016 following a cancer battle. The solution, months later, allowed her to stay married in 47 of the 48 states but ruled that cohabiting with her new husband in California would be bigamy. Laraine's cause of death was natural causes. Throughout her life, she never swore, smoked, or drank any kind of alcohol, coffee, or tea. ✪ What's My Line? © 2018 Found a Grave, All rights reserved. After waiting about a year, Day and Durocher remarried on February 16, 1948, in Santa Monica, California. [2][16] The couple adopted three children: Christopher, Angela, and Michelle. [20] After the couple moved to New York, Day read every book about baseball she could to understand the game. Get email updates about Laraine Day delivered directly to your inbox. rest in peace. Forest Lawn Memorial Park (Hollywood Hills). In 1951, Day became one of U.S. television's first female talk show hosts in "The Laraine Day Show." Never a major star, Ms. Day was relegated to what she called “B+ movies” at Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer from 1939 to 1945. A memorial service took place in the Hollywood Hills five days later. Kildare” movies beginning with Calling Dr. Kildare (1939), with Lew Ayres in the title role. Day's first husband was singer Ray Hendricks. She published a book in 1952 about her experiences as a baseball wife, also titled “Day With the Giants.”, After her divorce from Mr. Durocher in 1960, she told an interviewer that she had never liked baseball. She had a twin brother, Lamar. Laraine Day (1920 - 2007) . Owing to her marriage to Leo Durocher and her involvement with his baseball career, she was known as "The First Lady of Baseball". For several years Ms. Day was also often called “the first lady of baseball” for her earlier marriage to Leo Durocher, the Hall of Fame manager of what were then the Brooklyn Dodgers and the New York Giants. In 1941 she was voted the number one “star of tomorrow” in Hollywood. Following her death her body was taken back to California and on November 15, 2007, a memorial service was held at Forest Lawn Memorial Park in the Hollywood Hills. When he was 15, her father had acted as a Mormon Paul Revere, riding to warn polygamists that the federal marshals were coming so that they could hide their wives. The other book she wrote was The America We Love (1972). One of eight children, including a twin brother, she was born Laraine Johnson in Roosevelt, Utah, to a prosperous Mormon family. [23][24], Laraine Day was a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church). Before long, she had one line before dying in a plane crash in “Tarzan Finds a Son” (1939) and committed suicide in “I Take This Woman” (1940), starring Spencer Tracy and Hedy Lamarr. While Durocher was managing the New York Giants, she wrote the book Day With the Giants (1952). She was 87. Laraine Day Death. [19] In that same period of time she was active in establishing a playhouse in Los Angeles for Mormon actors and she helped bring Ray Bradbury’s work the attention of the public. [2] In May 1952, she was signed to a midnight-to-3 a.m. interview series with New York radio station WMGM featuring interviews related to politics, show business, and sports. ... - Laraine Day at BrainyQuote", "The Movieland Directory - Tour Location: 6676 Hollywood Blvd, West Hollywood, California", Episode: "To the Best of My Recollection", Episode: "The Heart That Wouldn't Stay Buried". She played a psychopathic killer in “The Locket” (1946) and a rich girl who is disinherited when she marries a railroad builder (John Wayne) in “Tycoon” (1947). Laraine Day, ‘B+ Movie’ Star, Dies at 87 Laraine Day with Leo Durocher in 1947. [11] That same year, she made her stage debut opposite Gregory Peck in the national theater tour of Angel Street. [13][14], In May 1951, she began hosting a television show alternately called Daydreaming with Laraine and The Laraine Day Show. [5][6] She attended George Washington Junior High School and was a 1938 graduate of Polytechnic High School in Long Beach, California. Top: Laraine Day in My Son, My Son Bottom: Laraine Day dead in My Son, My Son. Click here to submit your listings. "[25] In 1961, she appeared with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir in their production of Let Freedom Ring, which was an inspirational one-hour program dedicated to the spirit of American Freedom. In 1938, she adopted the name "Laraine Day" to honor her previous playhouse manager Elias Day, from whom she had received much of her training. Kildare’s Wedding Day” (1941), people would stop Ms. Day on the street and ask, “Why did you die, Mary Lamont?” The movies became the basis of the television drama “Dr. While Durocher was managing the New York Giants, she wrote, Day With the Giants (1952). your own Pins on Pinterest Born La Raine Johnson in Roosevelt, Utah, on October 13, 1920, she was one of eight children in a wealthy family who were members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. She became the first woman to be honored by the New York chapter of the Baseball Writers Association at their annual dinner in 1951. Day and Durocher divorced in June 1960.

Tai The Elephant, What Is A Night Porter In A Hospital, Regina Police Accident Report, Eat: The Little Book Of Fast Food, Almond Milk Half And Half Recipe, Aisha Sham Lyrics, Fluorescent Adolescent Tab, Assassins Creed 3 Trainer, Sadak 2 Story,