The frontman for one of Canada's most well-known punk rock bands talks about his Eddie Vedder encounter, Billy Talent's new album, and the importance of rock and roll. We didn’t realize Jerry and Mike had the tapes running.” Leiber and Stoller later overdubbed bass and percussion along with the drumsticks on ashtrays, released it, and in 1965 it became the Dixie Cups’ final Top 40 record. She got a co-writing credit on the song. Eurodance act Captain Jack re-popularized the tune in Germany in 2001. "[2] Although The Dixie Cups denied that the two compositions were similar, the lawsuit resulted in a settlement in 1967 with Crawford making no claim to authorship or ownership of "Iko Iko",[3] but being credited 25% for public performances, such as on radio, of "Iko Iko" in the United States. Songs get stirred up in the spicy gumbo of different cultures and become the celebratory music that begs us to dance and sing along. In 1954 it was recorded by The Hawketts, a group of New Orleans teenagers that featured 17-year-old Art Neville (who later became the lead vocalist of The Meters before forming The Neville Brothers). Handel's Water Music Suite for Baroque Trumpet - www.natemayfield.com, Preservation Hall Jazz Band - Hindustan (LIVE), Charlie Parker - Summertime (Jazz Instrumental), Charlie Parker & Dizzy Gillespie - Hot House (1952), Articles with dead external links from August 2012, Articles with invalid date parameter in template, Articles needing additional references from August 2007, All articles needing additional references, Articles with unsourced statements from August 2009, Wikipedia articles needing clarification from July 2012, Articles with unsourced statements from January 2013, "BackTalk with James "Sugar Boy" Crawford", http://www.offbeat.com/artman/publish/article_251.shtml, SDNY CM/ECF Version 3.1.1 - Docket Report, "Iko Iko. [4] Joe Jones successfully licensed "Iko Iko" outside of North America, and it was used as the soundtrack of Mission Impossible 2 in 2000. They were discovered by singer/producer Joe Jones at a high school talent show. The Hawketts’ version was released on Chess Records and became an R&B hit for them, and later recorded by greats like The Meters and Buckwheat Zydeco. The practitioner, the horse, waves a flag representing a certain god to literally flag down that god into himself or herself. Their ex-manager Joe Jones and his family filed a copyright registration in 1991, alleging that they wrote the song in 1963. Crawford: It came from two Indian chants that I put music to. Setting a flag on fire is a way of cursing someone. Record producer Bob Ezrin talks about his work on such seminal records as Alice Cooper’s Billion Dollar Babies, Pink Floyd’s The Wall and Lou Reed’s Berlin. The story tells of a "spy boy" (i.e. a lookout for one band of Indians) encountering the "flag boy" or guidon carrier for another "tribe." The story tells of a "spy boy" (i.e. Scholars have proposed various linguistic origins, suggesting, alternately, that it the phrase is Native American, West African, or a creolization of those languages with New Orleans French. The album it came from was released in October, 2007, but they held off until summer, 2008 for a more seasonable release. Kid Rock's "All Summer Long" is a mashup of "Werewolves Of London" and "Sweet Home Alabama." If you enjoyed this article, subscribe to receive more just like it. The song's most successful UK version was that of singer Natasha England, who took it into the top 10 in 1982. The article also notes that the phrase ayeko—often doubled as ayeko, ayeko—is a popular chant meaning "well done, or congratulations" among the Akan and Ewe people in modern-day Togo, Ghana, and Benin. [10] Both groups were heavily traded during the slave trade, often to Haiti, which served as a way station for Louisiana. It turns out the song, originally titled “Jock-a-Mo,” was actually written in 1953 by James “Sugar Boy” Crawford. The song has since been covered by a diverse group of artists including Cyndi Lauper, Dave Matthews, Warren Zevon, Cowboy Mouth, and the Grateful Dead who made it a staple of their live shows from 1977 on. ". In the end, he stated, "I don’t even know if I really am getting my just dues. However, after the musicians had gone home, while the Dixie-Cups were doing some overdubbing, they started singing this traditional New Orleans song among themselves, using only a chair, drumstick, Coke bottle, ashtray, and drums as accompaniment. Hypotheses about its meaning range from "Kiss my ass" to "Very good" to "The fool will not play today. The Belle Stars version would be released in the United States in 1988, where it would peak at 14 on the Billboard Hot 100 in March 1989, outcharting the Dixie Cups' version. JazzSkool.org is a FANDOM Music Community. Orrin Keepnews, one of the most respected producers in jazz history, played an integral role in the birth of modern jazz. It’s also been in over a half dozen movie soundtracks including Rain Man, The Hangover and Mission: Impossible II. Given that Crawford's song is based on similar New Orleans celebratory ritual sources, including traditional songs from Mardi Gras parades, its closeness to the Dixie Cups' tune is striking. In 1965 New Orleans girl group The Dixie Cups were recording for Leiber & Stoller’s Red Bird Records in a New York studio. One of the most well-known songs of Mardi Gras is “Iko-Iko,” made popular after an impromptu jam session was caught on tape by songwriting greats Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller. Talk-in' 'bout, Hey now ! I was just trying to write a catchy song.”, When the Dixie Cups released the song in 1965, they didn’t know the origins of it, only that they’d heard their mother sing it. I-KO, I-KO, un-day He threatens to set the flag on fire. Iko Iko origins Keywords: Iko Aiko Date: 19 Jul 91 17:26:19 GMT Here is some info on the origins of Iko Iko (my preferred spelling :-) first from the liner notes from the Dr. John album - "Dr. John's Gumbo" Iko Iko This song was written and recorded back in the early 1950's by a New Orleans singer named James Crawford who worked under the name of Sugar Boy & The Cane Cutters. [6], The jury returned a unanimous verdict on March 6, 2002, affirming that the Dixie Cups were the only writers of "Iko Iko" and granting them more money than they were seeking. See if you can spot the true tales. Required fields are marked *. Grammy-winning record producer Don Was shares studio stories and insight on his work with the Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, Paul Westerberg, Kris Kristofferson and more. Jon Fratelli talks about the band's third album, and the five-year break leading up to it. A day of indulgence on every level. (Rescue Me).". Lyrics to 'Iko Iko' by The Dixie Cups: My grandma and your grandma were Sit-tin' by the fire. Their version came about by accident. Justine Bateman, Julia Roberts, Britta Phillips and Trini Alvarado perform the song in the 1988 film Satisfaction. One of the most well-known songs of Mardi Gras is “Iko-Iko,” made popular after an impromptu jam session was caught on tape by songwriting greats Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller. Lloyd Price just added music to it and it became a hit. I just put them together and made a song out of them. A later version by Zap Mama, with rewritten lyrics, was featured in the opening sequences of the film Mission: Impossible II. [10] "Jakamo Fi Na Ye" is also, whether coincidentally or not, the phrase "The black cat is here" in Bambara, a West African Mandingo language. I have a question about the co-songwriter “Lou Welsch.” The Offbeat website give a variant spelling on the name “Lou Welch” and states he ran the local Sapphire Music label. I just figure 50 percent of something is better than 100 percent of nothing. Following is the "Iko Iko" story, as told by Dr. John in the liner notes to his 1972 album, Dr. John's Gumbo, in which he covers New Orleans R&B classics: James "Sugar Boy" Crawford, gave a 2002 interview with "OffBeat Magazine" discussing the song's meaning:[1]. The Dixie Cups scored an international hit single with "Iko Iko" in May 1965 on the Billboard Hot 100chart where their version pe… Sign Up For First Notice of Creative Workshops, The Story Behind “Mardi Gras Mambo” and “Iko Iko”, http://performingsongwriter.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/IkoIko.mp3, http://performingsongwriter.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Mardi-Gras-Mambo.mp3, The Emotional Truth of Jonatha Brooke’s ‘My Mother Has 4 Noses’, The Sgt. The Dixie Cups, who had learned "Iko, Iko" from hearing their grandmother sing it,[citation needed] also knew little about the origin of the song and so the original authorship credit went to the members, Barbara Ann Hawkins, her sister Rosa Lee Hawkins, and their cousin Joan Marie Johnson. In 1964 they had a US #1 single with " Chapel Of Love " for Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller's Red Bird Label. Ah, Fat Tuesday. Amy Holland covered the song on the soundtrack of the film K-9, Aaron Carter covered the song for 2000's The Little Vampire soundtrack and filmed a music video for it. Interesting article on the Mardi Gras Mambo’s origins. "Iko Iko"/ "Jock-a-Mo" has been re-recorded in countless versions, by artists that include The Grateful Dead, Cyndi Lauper, Warren Zevon, Dave Mathews, and Long John Baldry. It has been also been covered by Cyndi Lauper, the Grateful Dead (who made "Iko Iko" a staple in their live shows from 1977 onward), Cowboy Mouth, Warren Zevon, Long John Baldry, Dave Matthews & Friends, The Ordinary Boys, Glass Candy, and Sharon, Lois & Bram, among others. The ladies who ruled the '90s in this quiz. This version made the song popular in England and Australia in the 1960s. Two years later, he became a reverend. After the Dixie Cups version of the "Iko Iko" was released in 1965, they and their record label, Red Bird Records, were sued by James Crawford, who claimed that "Iko Iko" was the same as his composition "Jock-a-mo. Her version, released the same week as The Belle Stars's recording, charted higher and significantly outsold their rival version.

Country Music Daily, Guelph Fire Today, Bavarian Chermside Phone Number, Eat Pray Love Under The Tuscan Sun, I Vow To Thee, My Country Sheet Music (violin),