And I thought: ‘I will write and people will not be so alone!’ “. She gets her work done at school despite the many challenges of home life, and does well enough to go to college, graduate and become a writer. My Name Is Lucy Barton—like all of Strout’s fiction—is more complex than it first appears, and all the more emotionally persuasive for it.” — San Francisco Chronicle “A short novel about love, particularly the complicated love between mothers and daughters, but … The book opens with Lucy recuperating in the hospital after an operation. “Like depression, like melancholy or restlessness,” she explains, loneliness “is subject too to pathologisation, to being considered a disease.” Lucy’s condition remains enigmatic. A great little book to be savoured. While it may be true that not every reader likes having the space between tiles, for me, squinting and mulling were part of the pleasure. “I draw a lot of weird doodles on scraps of paper,” says the Canadian cartoonist Jesse Jacobs—true of most cartoonists, no doubt. Oh my goodness yes, unfortunately. VLOG #35 When the World Steals Our Best Lines. Undiagnosed, she’s a medical mystery. Her husband and young daughters don't visit her much, which leads her to think about loneliness, her marriage and motherhood. In order to navigate out of this carousel please use your heading shortcut key to navigate to the next or previous heading. Although it was well written, with some quite nice descriptive passages, truthfully, I could never get into it. But soon it becomes clear that Lucy Barton is a trauma survivor. In this short book I came to know what an extraordinary character Lucy Barton is . Lucy is both happy and alarmed to see her mother; the ambivalence that she exhibits toward her keeps the reader off balance and unsure of Lucy and her mother’s relationship. It is a simple story written in exquisite prose with a sophisticated message. A snippet of information here, a hint of something there and we are eventually pretty sure her childhood was not just deprived but also abusive. The narrative begins with Lucy Barton reflecting on her life from the hospital bed where she spent 8 weeks after getting an infection from surgery. Linney’s entrance transforms the composition into an imaginary lost Hopper oil, Hospital Room. It is a stream of consciousness that points out to the reader how much one's past life influences one's present and future. | Her mother is incapable of saying she loves Lucy, but she does tell her: “You were a different kind of kid from Vicky. This is my point. This was in New York City, and at night a view of the Chrysler Building, with its geometric brilliance of lights, was directly visible from my bed. The temptation is to diagnose the disease from which she’s suffering as that of loneliness itself. In some ways Lucy becomes the epitome of the flawed way we all survive by filtering reality and numbing ourselves. This is as nearly perfect as a novel can ever be. She sounds like a little girl. There was an error retrieving your Wish Lists. They neither grasp at nor demand things that others cannot or will not give them, yet they accomplish what they set out to do. This deeply personal novel, like Strout’s Pulitzer winner, “Olive Kitteridge”, is a composite rendering of perspectives that give us a multi-layered and nuanced presentation of the character, all the seeming contradictions and pieces that seem not to fit and yet all the more authentic and true of human personalities. I don't think she was forced to fellate him. Reviewed in the United States on September 8, 2017, “I know so well the pain we children clutch to our chests, how it lasts our whole lifetime, with longings so large you can’t even weep. Start by marking “My Name Is Lucy Barton” as Want to Read: Error rating book. Fortunately, my outgoing daughter taught her how to love bef. A quiet but moving reverie by a resilient woman on various timepoints in her life, revealing the distorted lens by which she views life around her and the troubling experiences of her past. Because they have each other, they’re tied together in a real community.” In the immediate aftermath of her illness Lucy was so thin that she was erroneously taken for an AIDS victim herself—a cruel mistake given the lack of sympathy this engenders in others, more of the same stigmatization she’s known since childhood. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on December 4, 2018. UPDATE: It came to my attention I may have given too much 'detail' information. Please try again. I had the luxury of reading My name Is Lucy Barton in one sitting -- and if you can that's how I highly recommend this very short jewel of a novel be read. In this novel she takes a woman looking back on the nine weeks she spent in the hospital (I can relate) when her two daughters were young. It involved a lot of simple sentences, often repeated a second time but with a few words added on. Lucy’s confusion about what constitutes love follows her into adulthood, and at various points in the story Lucy professes to love people who are only obliquely associated with her, and are obviously not returning her affection. She recalls and mentions many things in passing and leaves much to the reader's imagination. Book review: My Name is Lucy Barton by Elizabeth Strout is about poverty, abuse and love The book is structured as an extended flashback of the trauma survivor, Lucy Barton. Elizabeth Strout is the author of several novels, including: “It interests me how we find ways to feel superior to another person, another group of people. Life at home was no easier, neither of her parents were able to express the love their children so clearly needed, and Lucy and her siblings lived in fear of the abuse they periodically suffered at the hands of their mentally disturbed father, a man left traumatized by his experiences as a soldier in WWII. The only props are a jug of water and a glass—which Linney sipped only once during what must be an exhausting performance—and a magazine. I admire the style of it and I acknowledge that the story was deliberately designed and assembled as it was, even though that was the piece that kept me from connecting with it the way others have. So, too, we learn that Lucy’s father never speaks about what he saw during the war. ‘No reason to cry,’ he sometimes said, and I can remember the feel of his warm hand spread across the back of my head.”, The episodes of abuse are told with a plain and unsentimental voice — the same voice used to describe the more hopeful events, such as this observation from Lucy about her school days: “My teacher saw that I loved reading and gave me books, even grown-up books, and I read them. “Lonely was the first flavor I had tasted in my life, and it was always there, hidden inside the crevices of my mouth, reminding me.” Re-reading Elizabeth Strout’s breathtakingly exquisite novel My Name is Lucy Barton in preparation for seeing the theatrical adaptation—directed by Richard Eyre and starring Laura Linney in her British stage debut at London’s new Bridge Theatre—I found myself knocked sideways by these lines. In The Lonely City, describing her own nomadic interlude spent in various solitary Manhattan sublets, “inhabiting loneliness on a daily basis,” Laing experiences her own unsettling physical decline: “I stopped eating very much and my hair fell out and lay noticeably on the wooden floor, adding to my disquiet.” In an act of apparent kindness that’s actually a sentence of solitary confinement, Lucy’s husband, uncomfortable around sick people himself, pays for his wife to have a private room. All rights reserved. Of happiness. Indeed, readers may wonder at first whether they have inadvertently picked up a novel aimed at younger readers. Find all the books, read about the author, and more. We’d love your help. She recalls her upbringing - the tough times and fleetingly disturbing moments that aren’t delved into too deeply but remembered with clarity; she speaks of the people in her life, their impact and how grateful she is to them all; her flawed life she acknowledges honestly with raw emotion. But where the play fell flat for me is that Linney delivers a powerhouse of a performance. This distinction between power and strength is a good one to recognize, and a valuable lesson to learn. I kept wondering when the story would be revealed, when it would start. “I was in a very strange state—a literally feverish waiting—and I really agonized,” Lucy admits at the beginning of her narrative, casting a veil of doubt over the account to come. “A quiet, sublimely merciful contemporary novel about love, yearning, and resilience in a family damaged beyond words.”. I suspect the style of prose in which she was delivered to me was the issue, not so much her life story or life choices or world views. Drinks, Dance, and Debauchery at the Museum. Imperfectly. Lucy is now a successful writer but back then 'We were oddities,' she says, and the loneliness that resulted is almost palpable: 'In the middle of the cornfields stood one tree, and its starkness was striking. This book! I am totally in awe of this writer's talents. After the 1924 premiere of Juno and the Paycock at Dublin’s Abbey Theatre, Sean O’Casey thanked Lady Gregory, who with William Butler Yeats served as the legendary theater’s artistic director. Reviewed in the United States on April 12, 2016. Save 50% off the regular rate and 75% off the cover price and receive a free 2021 calendar! This disquieting undertone, which I believe is created in part by the many short, staccato-like phrases used in the narrative, permeates the story. “Well, look at your life right now. And different from your brother, too. Refresh and try again. It's a tender, poignant, and introspective look at relationships and imperfect love. At the heart of the experience is the five days Lucy’s all but estranged mother spent sitting vigil by her daughter’s bedside. While in the hospital, her mother comments on this. “I know it’s terrible of me,” she recalls confessing to her friend and neighbor Jeremy—a man who will soon succumb to the illness himself—“but I’m almost jealous of them. The ways in which we show our love can be vastly different. I was in tears at one point as Lucy desperately tries in vain to reach out to her mother for love, kindness or affection…something that her mother is sadly incapable of giving. My mother had a terrible time telling me she loved me. Instead, our system considers things like how recent a review is and if the reviewer bought the item on Amazon. It was May, and then June, and I remember how I would stand and look out the window at the sidewalk below and watch the young women—my age—in their spring clothes, out on their lunch breaks; I could see their heads moving in conversation, their blouses rippling in the breeze. Bring your club to Amazon Book Clubs, start a new book club and invite your friends to join, or find a club that’s right for you for free. What the reader learns about Lucy’s family during her mother’s visit develops into a disturbing tale about the elusive and complex nature of family love. Just the worst book by Strout. Yet the tests come back negative, the scans are inconclusive. Lucy Barton spends 9 weeks in the hospital in the 1980s in New York City following complications from a surgery. A powerful short book that is filled with the wisdom that only comes with age. I so enjoyed this book and getting to know Lucy. To order a copy for £7.37 go to bookshop.theguardian.com or call 0330 333 6846. When Lucy wants to discuss why she was locked in the cab of her father’s lorry with a long brown snake, her mother feigns innocence: “I don’t know anything about a lorry,” she says. やきもきしながら新刊を待ち、何日も前からカレンダーを眺めて過ごす。発売されると本屋さんに走ることができるのだから。, そんな、私にとって(そしておそらく海外文学ファンの多くの皆様にとって)同じ時代に生きていてよかったな〜としみじみ感じる作家の一人がエリザベス・ストラウトだ。, ということで今日は(日本語版の発売からはほぼ1年経ってしまったけれど)、『私の名前はルーシー・バートン』について書きたい。, ニューヨークで暮らすルーシー・バートンは盲腸で入院中。大したことはないはずだったのに、やれ検査だ、やれ異常値が出たと、どんどん入院が長引いてしまう。, ルーシーは「個室は保険でカバーされない」なんて語るのだが、国民皆保険の存在しないアメリカでは、保険に入っている=社会である程度成功しているということが行間から読み取れる。, 病院の窓から見えるクライスラービルディングは美しい。それでも彼女はいい加減家に帰りたいと感じている。, うちは変わっていた。おかしな一家だった。イリノイ州アムギャッシュという小さな田舎町にあっても、やはり風変わりだったろう。, 母との会話は家族と疎遠になっていたルーシーにとって、自分のルーツを思い出す作業でもある。, そして、母が何を考えていたのかを知り、自分が何を考えていたのかを伝える作業でもある。, もちろん、人間が完全に理解しあえることはないだろう。それでも、話す時間を持つことは意味があるということが読み取れる。, ルーシーにとって、母と一緒に過ごした病院での5日間は、小説にするほど大切な思い出となったのだから。, 母に思いが伝わらず葛藤を覚えることもあるルーシーだが、こんなエピソードも挟まれる。, 娘が8歳になった時、彼女に自分が子供のころ好きだった本を買い与えたというものだ。貧しい女の子が出てくる本。貧困家庭に育った自分と、登場人物をリンクさせながら読んだ本。勇気を与えてくれた本。, 何不自由なく都会で育つ娘にとって、貧しい女の子が出てくるお話は共感できるところもなく、いささか道徳的で味気ないものなのだろう。, 違う時代と環境に生きる者は、肉親であっても同じ価値観を共有することはできないのかもしれない。, 読めば得るものがあった。そういうことを言いたい。私の孤独感がやわらいだ。そういうことを言いたい。そして私も作家になって人の孤独をやわらげたいと思った!, この本はたくさんの短いエピソードから成り立っていて、エピソードの短さは加速度的に増していく。そして、読者のルーシーに対する知識も、知らないうちに増えている。, 最新作はルーシー・バートンも登場する Anything is Possible である。, tokyobookgirlさんは、はてなブログを使っています。あなたもはてなブログをはじめてみませんか?, Powered by Hatena Blog

Evan Williams Green Label, Best St Stephen, Honeymoon Period Definition In Relationship, Recipes Every Chef Should Know, Sponge Cake With Oil And Plain Flour, Kerala Panchayat Election 2015 Results,