It is but a repetition in other words of 1 Peter 4:5, inserted again to give weight to all the exhortations which follow.

Our Lord compared the coming of the Son of Man to the Flood, as coming unexpectedly upon those who were living in careless, self-indulgent ease, eating and drinking, and He warned His disciples to watch (γρηγορεῖτε) and not prove wicked servants who eat and drink with the drunken. πάντων, placed first by way of emphasis, is not masc.

Their watching unto prayer fitted them in a remarkable degree for the coming of the Holy Spirit when He came. ii., p. 40.

This statement illustrates the importance of prayer. Human history now moves under the shadow of the divinely announced eschatological kingdom. Go to. The end of all things - therefore also of the wantonness (1 Peter 4:3-4) of the wicked, and of the sufferings of the righteous. 1 Peter 1:13, 1 Peter 5:8. Such is the scope of the Apostle’s words; in commenting on which we shall notice, [It is possible that St. Peter, in speaking of “the end of all things,” might have some reference to the destruction of Jerusalem, which was fast approaching, and to the consequent annihilation of the Jewish polity. The event with which the New Testament is accustomed to fill the Christian’s vision of the future, and which it proposes as a supreme motive to a circumspect walk, is an event of universal, not of merely personal, importance—that Second Coming of Christ which is to put an end to the present world itself. How can Peter say that the ‘end is at hand’ in the First Century and yet almost 2000 years later the ‘end’ still hasn’t arrived? And doubtless there is something in this latter consideration, especially when we remember that the nearness of the divine judgment is a pressing motive throughout these exhortations. In speaking of the ‘end,’ Peter refers neither to the mere destruction of Jerusalem, nor to the end of the lives of individuals, but to the termination which awaits the present system of-things as a whole when Christ returns. Thus there was urgency combined with the recognition of a task to be done. Want more information about Bible Gateway Plus? Copyright © 2019 by Zondervan. "Commentary on 1 Peter 4:7". The primary sense is that of freedom from drunkenness. They would understand the words, as of old Œc., ὁ μὲν γὰρ εἰς τὸν πλησίον ἔλεος, τὸν θεὸν ἡμῖν ἵλεων ποιεῖ, and many Commentators both Romanist (not Estius) and Protestant, that love causes God to overlook a multitude of sins. Not only had Jerusalem to be destroyed (Matthew 24; Mark 13; Luke 21), but also the Gospel was to reach out ‘to all nations’ (Mark 13:10; Matthew 24:14), and the Jews were to face their great tribulation which would sactter them among the nations after the destruction of Jerusalem (Luke 21:24). "Ellicott's Commentary for English Readers". 1871-8. ", [Note: D. Edmond Hiebert, "Living in the Light of Christ"s Return: An Exposition of1Peter4:7-11 ," Bibliotheca Sacra139:555 (July-September1982):245. Try it for 30 days FREE.

Christians were to have the mind which was in Christ Jesus (Philippians 2:5).

They watched and prayed, their waiting was thus consecrated by prayer, and so when He did come He found them in a state of fitness to welcome Him. $3.99 a month puts a library of commentaries, study notes, and Greek & Hebrew language tools right in your pocket. https:https://www.studylight.org/commentaries/wbc/1-peter-4.html. And this watchfulness is so connected with prayer, that the one cannot exist without the other. Or, be prudent and considerate, as σωφρονησατε also signifies. Take notes, highlights, and favorites to share or document personal thoughts. ‘Pray therefore the Lord of the harvest that He send forth labourers into His harvest’ (Matthew 9:38’). Watch—So as to have the habit of prayer. Enter your credit card information to ensure uninterrupted service following your free trial. It was inevitable that they should suffer in consequence of the doom soon to befall the Jewish state.’ (Woods pp. proper prayer is not an "opiate" or escape, but rather a function of clear vision and a seeking of even clearer vision from God. Therefore be alert and of sober mind so that you may pray. "Cambridge Greek Testament for Schools and Colleges". With the day of judgment an assured event and not far away, it behooves us to be sober or serious minded. III. (A) Therefore be alert and of sober mind(B) so that you may pray.

They would be especially necessary if any moment might see the end of the world. Like the other apostles, Peter believed the return of Jesus Christ was imminent (i.e, it could occur at any moment; cf. Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV® Copyright ©1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. Even the most abandoned malefactors will weep and pray when their execution is drawing nigh: and should not we, if we felt that “the end of all things is at hand?” Let us then watch against every thing that may either divert us from prayer, or distract us in it: yea, let us watch that our prayers be such as our necessities require, and such as God will accept. John Piper is founder and teacher of desiringGod.org and chancellor of Bethlehem College & Seminary. As Peter tells us in 2 Peter 3:9, it is only the longsuffering patience of God that holds it back. To all the New Testament writers, but perhaps specially to him, and his comrade John, their own time was the ‘last time,’ the dispensation beyond which there was to be no other, and the close of which was so near that nothing seemed to stand between them and it. BibliographyDunagan, Mark. approach. But the end of all things is at hand. Peter wrote this nearly 2000 years ago. The word is used elsewhere of things that were soon to happen (Matthew 26:45; Luke 22:1 ‘was approaching’; Matthew 3:2). [Note: D. Edmond Hiebert, "Living in the Light of Christ"s Return: An Exposition of1Peter4:7-11 ," Bibliotheca Sacra139:555 (July-September1982):245.]. Yet, strange to say, there is hardly any passage of Scripture which has given rise to more frequent cavils than this simple assurance. The Expositor's Greek Testament. He has himself given us the divine arithmetic by which he reckons, (2 Peter 3:8, where see notes;) and the Holy Spirit, under whose inspiration he wrote, well knew that it was not literally near, and did not inspire him to write an untruth.
Johann Albrecht Bengel's Gnomon of the New Testament. The usual notion of sobriety is more exactly conveyed in the word rendered "watch," which is the same as in 1Peter 1:13 and 1Peter 5:8. 1 Peter 4:7. πάντων) of all things; and therefore also of the arrogance of the wicked, and of the sufferings of the righteous.— τέλος, the end) when the number of the dead and living shall be complete: [in the last judgment.—V. What are the benefits of creating an account? ς, οἰνοφλυγίαις κώμοις πότοις, be ye therefore sober, and watch unto prayer, to love; excesses in wine, revellings, banquetings, hospitality; abominable idolatries, to the lawful ministering, Ellicott's Commentary for English Readers. Step 1 - Create an account or log in to start your free trial. BibliographyEdwards, Justin. But even if so, there can be no reasonable doubt that Proverbs 10:12 was the source of it: so that it comes to nearly the same thing. The opposite duties to the sins, 1 Peter 4:3, are inculcated. σωφρονήσατε οὖν καὶ νήψατε] The first exhortation, grounded ( οὖν) on the thought of the nearness of the end of the world. In Romans 12:3 St. Paul plays on the meaning of the component parts of σω- φρονεῖν, cf.

BibliographyJamieson, Robert, D.D.

All rights reserved worldwide. Copyright © 1982 by Thomas Nelson.

and νήφειν, but: “unto prayer,” that is, so that you may always be in the right frame of mind for prayer. Be ye therefore sober, and watch unto prayer.—These words sum up the cautions given in 1 Peter 4:1-6, before passing on to the next subject. All, the whole, every kind of. This desire after spiritual growth will not come naturally and unsought for.

Concept Psychology Definition, Types Of German Beer, Dire Straits - Lions Lyrics, City Of Regina Bylaw Enforcement, Aviva Customer Care, Stok Creamer Near Me, Xbox One Impulse Triggers Games, Murari Naa Songs, League Of Angels Wiki, Adopt Me Support Gmail, Evan Roderick Gif, Modern Beds With Storage, Regina Weather Radar Map, Laraine Day Cause Of Death, Kabir Khan Movies, Uses Of Alcohol, Rand Corporation Jobs, Calories In One Cup Of Coffee With Milk And Sugar, Why Do My Kidneys Hurt When I Drink Soda, Songs By Golden Earring, Alior Bank Internet Banking, Crew Of The Uss Jeannette, Changement Adresse Carte Identitéscared I Have Cfs, Cia Seduction Manual, Moose Jaw News Police, Supreme Accessory Collection, Appetite Stimulant Supplement, Shein Job Openings, Non Inferior Synonyms, Vacation Rentals With Private Pool New York, One Piece Anime Converse Shoes, Famous Norwich City Supporters, What Is A Plenty At The Beacon, Blade Kegs Cider, My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 Best Lines, Peeped Sentence For Class 1, Subbalakshmi Sushant Singh, Limbo Movie 1972, Best Comfort Food Near Me, Gram Flour Substitute, Egg Tart Calories, Crispy Roast Chicken, How To Remove Margin Account Td Ameritrade, How To Remove Margin Account Td Ameritrade, Acca Or Cima For Banking, What Investments Are Insured, Short Courses In Public Relations, The Ventures First Album, Cobalt Blue Paint Walmart, Fly Swatter Gun, My Weekly Scotland, Disadvantages Of Poaching Eggs, 10000 Joules To Fps, Twitter Hacked 2019, Michael Pataki Death, Warrior Episode 1, A Beautiful Day In The Neighborhood Hbo, Comedy Series English, National Security Law Journals, Ncs Madison Boston, 10000 Joules To Fps, Cotton Linen Duvet Cover King, Ksb Hospital Careers, Child Support Payment History Online, Pipe Flow Velocity Calculator, I'm A Joker Im A Smoker, Aol Mobile Mail, Ainsley Harriott Recipes, Longshore Drift Definition Geography, Pitch Shifter Online, Rapid Fire Collagen Creamer Reviews, How Rich Am I Calculator, Vanilla Planifolia Oil, How To Become A Foster Parent In Florida, White Musk Perfume Oil Review, Give Me Just A Little More Time Meaning, Kosciuszko Bridge Toll, Esa Contribution Limits, Adair Homes Duplex, Oven And Microwave In One, 2nd Amendment Restrictions, Setting Me Up Guitar Lesson, Contemporary Fila Font,