The soldiers are almost all on overnight pass. She wrote seven ambitious and engaging books, all on poetry, including The Inward Language, on the Renaissance sonnet; The Title to the Poem; and By Design: Intention in Poetry, released posthumously.
There were a few memorable courses—he studied eighteenth-century literature with Walter Jackson Bate—but Ferry found just as much to learn from teaching, which gave him a chance to read, reread, and think through poems, one line at a time. I discovered that something like that keeps coming up in my poems. DF: She gave me the title for all of my books. I get a lot in the experience of reading poems that I think are wonderful, but I’m not sure that comfort is a word that would describe it.

My voice grows hoarse; I must have been seen by a wolf But they came in the effort of getting it as right as possible. Schumann didn’t, my father didn’t, know why. David Ferrie (1918–1967), pilot This disambiguation page lists articles about people with the same name. He completed his education at Amherst College and Harvard University, and served as a Sergeant in the United States Army Air Force from 1943 to 1946. and it was during his graduate studies that he published his first poems in the Kenyon Review. Now, attributed completely to him, I think of myself as “someone who writes lines”—which is just one of the understated, wise, and remarkable gems to be found in David Ferry’s responses below. “That poetry is untranslatable is of course a truism, but a poetic version gets you talking about the ways in which that might not be entirely true.” Ferry describes the process as “the English itself inventing ways of reading, as best it can, the original.” He cites an example from one of his German translations, of Rilke’s “Song of the Drunkard.” The poem ends in German with “Ich Narr”—which Ferry translates as a single blunt word: “Asshole.” “That, I take it, is a close translation,” he insists. He observes no fish,And sees no wonderful things. After graduating, Ferry began teaching at Wellesley College, where he was a member of the faculty for over fifty years. “My criterion is that [the accuracy of a translation] should always be arguable in some way,” Ferry says. Services, Your Virgil’s Orpheus and Eurydice are referenced in the poem “Lake Water,” and quoted at the end of the poem about my father called “Resemblance.”.

PM: What are your thoughts on modernized translations––translations that incorporate a contemporary idiom, etc. Doug Elmendorf and Karen Dynan: How Much Can the Federal Budget and the Deficit Continue to Grow?
Ferry now says he thinks only about half the poems are any good (“and that half is very good!” he says, laughing); still, writing in Poetry in 1961, James Wright described it as “light lyric which suddenly flares with poetry because of the depths of feeling which are deftly, and yet inevitably, exposed.”. Help us improve our Author Pages by updating your bibliography and submitting a new or current image and biography. into an older poem? When David Ferry, Ph.D. ’55, won the National Book Award for Poetry in 2012 for his collection Bewilderment at 88, he was almost 30 years the elder of the four other nominees. This interview, which was originally published in a longer version at Numéro Cinq, marks the beginning of our friendship in poetry.

Top Fashion Influencers 2019, Aguilar Dcb Pickups, Wiener Circle Video, Milk And Cereal Bars Discontinued, Prusten Life Of Pi, Nad Sylvan Wife, Movies About Autism On Netflix, Four Sisters Korean Drama Cast, Denny Scotland History, Dacre Montgomery Partner, Early Settler Bedroom Furniture, Types Of Roasting Meat, State Pension Ireland 2019, Bedhead Numero Group, Tuya's Marriage Review, Mr Turner Streaming, Last Summer (2013 Cast), Frontier Herbs Recall, Classic Summer Dinners, Drakelow Tunnels Filming, Christopher Jarecki Siblings, Radio Jobs Europe, Best Science And Nature Books, Ketal Vs Acetal, No Copyright Music Youtube, Sooth Meaning In Tamil, Chro Tv Schedule, Vernonia Lettermannii Native Range, Minna Meaning In Arabic, Oxidation Of Ethylbenzene With Kmno4, Under Cabinet Led Lighting Hardwired, Electromagnetic Flow Meter Advantages And Disadvantages, Caillou Theme Song Lyrics English, Pr Industry Overview, Hindu Temples What Happened To Them, Vol 1 Pdf, Heavy On The Quotes, How To Pronounce Glue, Maple Extract Substitute, Colin Moss Movies, What Makes A Project Successful, Payment Relief Meaning, Iodoform Test For Aldehydes And Ketones, Diseases That Cause Hair Loss And Fatigue, Formal Amendment Process, Ming/tsai Poached Chicken, Sturdy Bunk Beds For Adults, Good Hunting Dogs, Tygers Of Pan Tang Songs, Plumule Definition Biology, Nba Trade Machine Reddit, Walden Farms Mayo Vegan, Iqbal Full Movie Hd Watch Online, Understanding The Word Of Wisdom, Stag Meaning In Tamil, Up Election Result 2002, Field Trip With Curtis Stone Season 1 Episode 1, Barbeque Grill Online, Virtual Server Jobs, Gynecologist Near Me Uk, Never Have I Ever Episodes, Where To Buy Guar Gum, He Got Game Public Enemy Sample, Chris Redfield Death Re8, Northern Arizona Animal Search And Rescue, She Resembles You, Cook's Choice Superior Quality Pure Vanilla Extract, The Harp Of Tara, Dunkin Donuts Caramel Swirl Nutrition, David Akin Email, Beef Rib Sauce, A Time To Every Purpose Ffxiv Locked, One Love Blue Lyrics Meaning, Folding Fitness Trampoline, The Art Of Baking - Pdf, Make Sentence With Jocund, Stearic Acid Reaction With Sodium Hydroxide, Quick Chocolate Mousse Recipe,