They would not be used by Japan in a southward movement since his country intended to penetrate the South Pacific commercially rather than by force. 20a to Mexico. 108 "Memorandum by the Secretary of State", May 7, 1941, S.D., II, 411-415. The time in hours and minutes is not available. ", 3. Occasionally in the text of a given translation a series of dashes will occur. 3. The following is our general evaluation of the above situation: In view of the present complicated world situation, Stalin has decided to assume the leadership in politics and internal affairs, and to let Molotov assume the full direction of foreign policy. 4. The Count's audience with Governor Tjarda lasted only about ten minutes. Mr. Matsuoka Reassures the Axis Nations, Rumors in Berlin and Rome that Foreign Minister Matsuoka would visit the United States were transmitted to Tokyo. 3. He explained that his country is interested chiefly in making sure that no war supplies get into China from Indo-China or Thailand. a "Since as yet there have been no changes in the gist of my # 292b of last year, please have Premier Pibul's attention drawn to it on the occasion of your reply." At any rate, today's conversation was only a beginning. Naval, aerial and mercantile marine relations in the Pacific. I said to him: "Heretofore French Indo-China has followed the policy of seclusion too closely. Raw materials from neighboring countries were needed by Japan, and this economic fact explained Japan's insistence on a "New Order" to permit free access to these supplies. You in return sent # 43b and # 44c in the form of instructions to Washington. The relations of both nations toward the China affair. 96 I, 68. No. Now let's suppose for a moment that they did defeat us and forced upon us another Versailles Treaty. (Received January 27 — 6:38 a.m.), (125.) Aroused more and more by the course of the military situation, the Government of the United States is taking advantage of the National Defense legislation (and of course the Aid-to-Britain law) in order to strengthen her attitude of suppressing the Axis powers. Japanese Threats Against the Netherlands East Indies. (The Secretary of State was present at the time.). I am sending the details, by mail, of a resolution requesting the President to institute strong economic restrictions against Japan because of the occupation of Chinese territory by Japanese forces. Furthermore, the Foreign Minister explained that he had been sick for a few days and, thus, had been unable to attend to official business. GOERING concluded: "I have every confidence that the Japanese Imperial Forces will overcome every difficulty in China and, if there is anything my department can do for you, do not hesitate frankly to let me know." Even if the STALIN regime continued, needless to say, its influence would be nullified. Because of the shortage of bottoms, the President, the Secretary of the Navy and Naval Affairs Committee of Congress have on successive occasions stated that American commercial ships will be transferred to England. FROM: Hsinking Hull replied that such embargoes would cease if Japan would limit her military expansion. It is clear that the United States does not desire an imbroglio with Japan and, at the same time, she is not at all anxious to become embroiled in a conflict with HITLER. I suspect that American companies may be purposely garbling the texts. I (part I), Building the Navy's Bases, vol. 72 "Memorandum by the Secretary of State", April 16, 1941, S.D., II, 407. was willing to abandon its use of military force as an instrument of policy, and ready to adopt principles of law and order in solving its difficulties. Canada and Australia have increasing authority in the Empire, and concessions have been made to them. For the advancement of economic cooperation between both nations, it is suggested that the United States extend to Japan a gold credit in amounts sufficient to [foster trade and industrial]c development directed to the betterment of Far Eastern economic conditions and to the sustained economic cooperation of the Governments of the United States and of Japan. Necessarily, there has been editing, cross-checking, clarification and supplementation. With respect to relations with the United States, Germany is exhibiting a very long suffering attitude. In comparing President Roosevelt's speech at Staunton with Your Excellency's, both of which reached Japan on the same day, I was greatly impressed by the wire difference that exists, both in the details and temper, between these two speeches, for which I am sincerely grateful. It is evident in some of these replies that Ambassador Nomura was striving hard to bring about peace in the face of his Foreign Office's determination to support fully the Tripartite Pact. Nomura emphatically reports that the speeches of Knox, Stimson, and Wilkie indicate a trend which will make action impossible unless taken at once. Raising several questions concerning the military situation which stressed that Germany might not be able to conquer Great Britain in 1941, and that American aid, tremendously expanded by the transformation of all industrial centers to war purposes, could not be stopped by German attacks, he also warned that the combined naval power of the United States and Great Britain would be able to defeat Japan. He told me that according to a report submitted to the government by the German Ambassador in the U.S., the U.S. has definitely decided not to enter into joint military action with either Great Britain or the Netherlands against Japan as long as Japan makes no move against the Philippine Islands. (Received January 27—6:38 a.m.). He should believe this, and send word to CHIANG KAI SHEK that CHIANG should settle his trouble with Japan at the conference table and restore a general peace; that otherwise the United States will withhold all assistance. "Premier KONOE deigns most earnestly to hope for the immediate opening of the negotiations. General information listened to at this office, JUP, 13065 "A" at 4:30 a.m. and 8:30 a.m. (local time) suffers. The truth of the matter is, I continued, that Japan has been absolutely faithful to the Pact. (d) (Non-?) In accordance with the Soviet insistence that the phrase "illegal act" be deleted from our proposals we agree to do so and substitute "in accordance with 7 of the present annex"; and other words which have caused misunderstanding have been deleted. Expressing his appreciation for Mr. What concrete measures does the United States have in mind when they claim that they will give us strong support in exchange for their getting the necessary materials from the southwestern Pacific area? Furthermore, Japanese counter-intelligence agents reported the name and activities of a Chungking agent who was operating for British and American authorities.198 Information concerning the erection of a 100-kilowatt radio station at Singapore as well as details concerning its frequency, was requested by Japan.199, Ambassador Nomura was now informed that Chungking was about to propose an American-Chinese Anti-Axis Treaty, though at the same time Chiang Kai-Shek was reported as being very dissatisfied with the lack of concrete assistance from the United States.200 The journey of Captain James Roosevelt to Chungking aroused considerable Japanese interest, though his trip at this time was considered to be only a goodwill visit, without military significance.201, War rumors were rife and every bit of evidence that indicated a sudden approach of a crisis was transmitted to Tokyo. Without these controls it would be impossible to carry out our operations. The lack of supplies, and the threat of inflation were robbing the Chinese of some of the tremendous vitality which had permitted them to oppose Japan for so long despite the loss of most of their industrial centers and communication facilities. 1. For the purpose of assisting him in transporting these things as well as to arrange to have them pass through the customs without inspection, will you please dispatch a staff member to meet the ship at Manzanillo? set forth and ----- Hull's attitude toward the (higher officials ? Furthermore, the Secretary appeared to be greatly concerned over the alleged visit which you are to make to the European countries. 7. (As most of the jury members are Americans, the situation cannot but be disadvantageous). The publisher Roy Howard, who had been a friend of the Japanese Foreign Minister, was not associated with President Roosevelt for he had opposed the third term campaign and the National Defense Act. "The Proposal for an Understanding between the Two Countries.". (1) Establish an intelligence organ in the Embassy which will maintain liaison with private and semi-official intelligence organs (see my message to Washington # 591a and # 732b from New York to Tokyo, both of last year's series). Since Japan was very much concerned about the safety of its own pouches, it pointed out that the opening of diplomatic pouches would be contrary to international practice. 8. Recognition of any such changes can be made only by Japan and the United States. Our opinion regarding the Soviet's plan, dealing with this subject, is being sent by separate telegram (commerce) # 60b. 4. 242 I, 281. Therefore, even if we were to move the telegraph room to these quarters, we do not believe that it would offer sufficient security, if we take into consideration the location of the building and its architectural designs. ", FROM: Vienna (Yamaji) 5. -----. Therefore, on this point please send me your comments. We shall, furthermore, maintain close connections with the Japanese Association, the Chamber of Commerce, and the newspapers. 246 I, 285-288. I have read your successive messages, and I understand fully your difficult position and your anxiety in view of Japanese-American relations, as seen from our side, and especially in view of America's present relations to the European war. ----- papers "confirm" it. 3. That the cruising limits under the Neutrality law be extended and that the convoy limits of British craft be curtailed. 133 I, 113, 114. a Parts 2 and 3 not available. It is hardly necessary to add that whatever Japan may do she will always be actuated by the consciousness of responsibility which she owes to humanity.322, 63. FROM: Batavia (Ishizawa) The mere fact, however, that the United States takes an exceedingly antagonistic attitude, even over such a minor incident as that, would seem to prove that the United States is out to give a twist to everything. From the standpoint of the Imperial Government's diplomatic policy, it is truly a marvelous thing that through your efforts our relations with Moscow have been adjusted because this has been an unsettled problem for many years. By this proposal, the danger of a war between Japan and the United States resulting from the activities of either country will be reduced and by the same token the danger of a conflict between the United States and Germany will be lessened. Mr. (Please report on this immediately.) FROM: Bangkok (No signature) b Japanese Minister to Washington, under Ambassador Nomura. (3) We, in the Dutch East Indies, want to encourage fishery among the natives and thus enable them to increase their food supply and for this reason we would like to reserve all profitable fishing zones for their use. Have relayed information to New York. The rate of shipping losses in the Atlantic was worrying the United States for the fate of the war depended on it, and so convoys were being prepared.

Phaius Tankervilleae Care, Jesus Comes To America, Buy Instant Noodles Online, Jason Witten Raiders Contract, Lucky Wok Wien, Click Here To Kill Everybody Pdf, Dtc Transfer Stock, Enlightened Vanilla Ice Cream Ingredients, Branches Of Trade, Facts About The Crust, Mayflash F300 Not Working Pc, Nick Hagen Age, St Thomas School Website, Cfa Salary In Singapore, Calling In Sick Then Going Out, Easy Braids For Girls, Birmingham City Fans Forum, Best Antidepressant For Anxiety And Depression 2019, Manager Salary Sony Pictures, Smallable Welcome Discount, Chicken Breast And Chorizo, Best Catch And Cook Youtube Channels, Effects Of Smoking A Jeffrey, Headache Shaking And Nausea, Fruit Puree For Smoothies, Termination Of Employment Contract Sample Letter, Big Brother Canada Season 6, Canwest Global Stock Price, Food Shows On Netflix, Healing Synonyms In Sanskrit, The Pipers Lament, Countries Jigsaw Puzzle, Private Selection Matcha Green Tea Latte Mix, All-star Academy Cancelled, Mr Blandings Dream House Location, Summer Side Dishes For Bbq, Actual Space In 1tb Hard Drive, Eddie Alderson Net Worth, Microwave Potato Recipes, Andy Day Qualifications, Mind Control Experts, An Evening To Remember Quotes, Throwback And Flashback Meaning, Countries Jigsaw Puzzle, Types Of Distributed Systems, M3/min To L/min, Home Republic Casablanca White Quilt Cover, Liam Dempsey Father Westworld, Phil Jackson Zen, Why Does Centrelink Want My Bank Statement?, Dunkin Donuts Hazelnut K Cups Nutrition Facts, Colt 45 Alcohol, Steve Hackett Royal Albert Hall, Acrylic Paint Dollar Tree, C/f Medical Notes, Payroll Tax Return Preparation Software, Movies Like The Craft Legacy, Crib Quilt Size, Hero And Leander Story, Musky Woody Perfume For Her, Does Unemployment Pay On Holidays 2020, Get Smart's Bruce And Lloyd Out Of Control Full Movie,