More perplexed than me would be the proud Oxford alumni listening; if the group were interested in great learning institutions, then why not stop at Oxford as well as Cambridge? I learnt about the writer of this poem, the early 20th Century poet Xu Zhimo, from listening to the radio programme, ‘The Chinese Grand Tour’ on Radio 4 last Sunday. Thanks for the eloquently preposterous praise! Just to pole a boat upstream. The floating heart growing in the sludge, I think the closing lines are exquisite – so subtle, hinting at such mixed emotions – much more delicate than Wordsworth’s declaratory conclusion to Daffodils which never sounded authentic to me. Change ), You are commenting using your Facebook account. At the same time the applicability of Systemic Functional Grammar in discourse analysis is well tested. Change ), My Sunshine (何以笙箫默): Episode 13 Review and Recap | Fanatical, Silent Separation (何以笙箫默) – Gu Man (Chapter 5) | Fanatical, https://beyondtheflow.wordpress.com/2016/05/01/z-xu-zhimo-on-leaving-cambridge-letters-to-dead-poets/. If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem: Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice! I leave here the link to my blog about my dear stay in Cambridge; sorry it is written in Spanish, but anyway¡, who knows, perhaps the river Cam can hear and understand my story… “The Floating World” is a common theme in Chinese literature, or reality as a dream, so this poem continues that tradition. He would shout (I’m assuming, as they do), but that isn’t his way, so he stays silent like all of the visitors. But Xu Zhimo didn’t go to Oxford, he went to Cambridge. To where the green grass is more verdant; Or to have the boat fully loaded with starlight. There’s something about eastern England, with its marshes and slow rivers, its clement weather and its flat expansive landscape, that seems to fit so well with the flavour of Far Eastern poetry. However, if Cambridge is done for me, his glossy matte green silent leaf of transcurrent surface is yet in my property, and his clouds as well, untouchables in their ever-changing, forever. Thank you “sweettenorbull” for your poem, from the marvel chinese poet Xo Zhimo. Define, defend… can’t remember to be honest. Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com. Their reflections on the shimmering waves. ( Log Out /  Not only that, his most famous poem, a poem Chinese school children know by heart, is called ‘Leaving Cambridge Again’ or ‘Saying Goodbye to Cambridge Again’. I went and had another look at Daffodils after reading your comment, and agree there’s something a little inauthentic in there. Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. unaaventuraencambridge.blogspot.co.uk. The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; i, quietly, to are repeated. The presenter explained the poem’s importance to modern Chinese poetry by saying it was like the Chinese equivalent to Wordsworth’s ‘Daffodils’ in English. I like the way the poem makes use of the kinds of epiphanies you can find in haiku written by Japanese Zen mystics. Glad you liked the poem and my commentary, though. ( Log Out /  Thanks Susanna. There is a poetic device epiphora at the end of some neighboring lines starlight is repeated). Thanks again. The punctuation marks are various. Pingback: My Sunshine (何以笙箫默): Episode 13 Review and Recap | Fanatical, Pingback: Silent Separation (何以笙箫默) – Gu Man (Chapter 5) | Fanatical, Thank so much for this moving post. Rhyme scheme: ABcc dXef gXgf ecXh hfff dXcfXABec Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,4,4,4,4,9, Closest metre: trochaic pentameter Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme Сlosest stanza type: tercets Guessed form: unknown form Metre: 101001111 11001111 1001101 0010100101 0101110101 11100101 1010101001 1110001011 010110001 110010010 00101010 1100101 111001011 11101011001 1001001010 … xx Rowena. Holds not water but the rainbow from the sky; To seek a dream? How nice, anyway, that the Chinese have garnered this nugget of ephemeral beauty  from one poet’s stop inEngland – it’s good for more than just Manchester United shirts and discount Burberry! I’ve heard that expression, ‘the floating world’, but never really thought about what it means. It’s interesting in the context of this poem and the circumstances it was written in – the poet is disconnected both as an observer of the world, but also as a foreigner in a strange place…. he fall in love when he is in england. As a Northumbrian, I wondered whether they would stop here for anything. Listening to all this, I began to feel like I should know a bit more about the poet, especially since the couple of stanzas read on air were quite pretty, and – as it does – Google obliged me with a bit of information about Xu Zhimo and an anonymous translation of his poem, printed in full below. Hope you so¡ About ten years ago one of my favourite poems was Neruda’s ‘paraphrase’ of Tagore in In My Sky at Twilight. I came across Xu Zhang needing a poet with Z for the A-Z April Challenge and was very pleased to find him and this poem. The author used the same word the at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. I207.25, China Proceedings of conference Full-text Database, Comparison of Static Beauty between A Bird Singing in the Ravine and Upon Westminster Bridge, A Metafunctional-Experiential Analysis of Du Mu's poem "Qingming, Pattern of Thematic Sequencing and Analysis of Personality Discourse in Listening Comprehension, The Analysis of “Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening” from the Perspective of Experiential Metafunction, Superficial Talk on the Significance of Context in Verbal-Communication, A Survey of Discourse and Gender:From a Multidisciplinary Perspective, Functional Stylistic Features of English TV Interviews, On the Lexical Cohesion in Business English Texts from Western Journal, Effects of Cohesion and Coherence On Reading Teaching, A Systemic Functional Attempt to Decode “Advances” and “Refusal” Between Strangers, The Application of Systemic Functional Grammar in Reading Process, The Functional Analysis on the Mood and Modality Systems of English and Chinese Cosmetic Advertisements, Discrimination on “Different Trees with the Same Flowers” ——Contrast analysis between the artistic conceptions of Wordsworth's and Wangwei's poetry, Textual Cohesion and Coherence in Translating Chinese Poems into English, "Upon Westminster Bridge" And The Kernel Idea of Romanticism, A Query on Prof Xu Yuanehong's Theory of the "Beauty of Sound" and its Practice, Third Study on "Message Beauty, Prosodic Beauty, Image Beauty", An Interpersonal Analysis of Du Mu's "Qingming" and its Translated Versions, Journal of Guangxi Normal University(Philosophy and Social Sciences Edition), Journal of Hebei University(Philosophy and Social Science), Journal of Sichuan Normal University(Social Sciences Edition), Journal of Beijing Normal University(Social Sciences), Journal of Southwest University for Nationalities(Humanities and Social Science).

Berkshire Hathaway Annual Report, When Was Comet Wild 2 Discovered, A Short Supporting Timber, Plan Toys Dollhouse Furniture, Arno Dorian Face, In Defense Of Food Rhetorical Analysis, Interviewer And Interviewee, Spy Camera With Audio For Car, Assassins Creed Oath In Spanish, I Quit Sugar Banana Bread, Kids Twin Bed In A Bag, List Of Xbox One Exclusives Reddit, How Did Altair Die, The Fest 2020 Florida, Global Radio Auction, Sheer Size Meaning In Bengali, Man On The Train (2011 Ending Explained), Feminism Is For Everybody Bell Hooks, Museo Nacional De Bellas Artes De La Habana, Why Red Sandalwood Is Costly, Karnataka Mp List 2020, Xbox One Controller Impulse Triggers Pc, Gevalia Ground Coffee, Ruby Tandoh Instagram, Missed Opportunities In Love, Cream Duvet Cover King, Mattress Topper Australia, Country Strong Academy Awards, New Telugu Movies Streaming, Cream Duvet Cover King, Rock Creek Montana Fishing, Reverse Psychology On A Man, Richard Mille Rm 005, Return To Zork Online, Who Wrote The Bible, Stuart Broad Is He Married, Best Advice Ever Funny, Vengaboys You And Me, Praise In Hebrew, Domestic Container Shipping Cost Calculator, International Schools In Italy, Assassin's Creed Odyssey Ultimate Edition Review, Best Chicken Gravy Recipes, Threshold Customer Service, South Shore Libra 3-drawer Chest-pure Black, Do News Channels Pay For Debate, How Does Centrelink Treat Shares, Lacroix Nicola Caffeine, Azelaic Acid Serum, Supreme Court Cases Uk, Beef Pie Recipe, Summer Dinner Ideas For Kids, How To Bake A Cake From Scratch, Mr Turner Streaming, History Of Railroads, We Happy Few Military Uniform, Nutpods Whole30 Where To Buy, Zhou Cang Dynasty Warriors, Walmart Kanata Centrum Hours, Wilhelm Canaris Family, Stereophonics Radio 2 Zoe Ball, Coffee Mate Creamer Tastes Bad, City Council Meeting Minutes, Types Of Blankets, Madison Park Signature Towels, Pound's Pisan Cantos, South Shore Libra 3-drawer Chest-pure Black, Federated Co Op Catalogue, Ben Milbourne Masterchef Australia Season 4, Sonia Sunger Instagram, Global Radio Auction, Brother Lx3817 Basting Stitch, Elizabethtown, Pa Population, Antonio Banderas - Cancion Del Mariachi Lyrics, Best Molton Brown Scents, Thai League 4, Identity Crisis Ben Elton, Lateral Direction And Longitudinal Direction, Guard Of Honor Book, Assassins Creed Odyssey Cheap Ps4, Midnight Blue Acrylic Paint, M-i Swaco Mud Engineer Jobs, Best Unit Trust Malaysia 2020, That's What Friends Are For Acoustic Karaoke, Best Percale Sheets, Tommy's Honour Book, Candlesticks In The Dark Lyrics,